• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ ZSX IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
WE just need meassurements? No YOU need them. I know both Truthear Zero and Zero Red and I actually prefer the KZ as it sounds more exciting and lifely to me. The Truthears sound really boring.
So enjoy your KZ.

I don't have any taste for any debate, the point is just my erroneous interpretation: "most of the readers here pay more attention to the measurements than to your preferences".

Have a nice day, take care and enjoy the music.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think whether one takes a punt on these comes down to how much KZ's shady practices (I would guess they are not alone, but they did get caught) should factor into your decision.

Objectively these look not too bad but I would feel icky buying a pair. Massively hypocritical I am sure given most of my consumer purchases no doubt involve shady practices somewhere in the supply chain but hey, it is what it is.

All that said, I am not sure even after EQ these should get a golfing panther due to the engineering botch on that distortion peak.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Scores are not comparable to the scores above as I have replaced the Harman target with the Knowles one.
Does that curve really have more high frequency energy than Harman's? As I noted in the review, even complying with Harman made them sound bright so I had to back off.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont understand why this website is obsessed with the truthear zero and zero red. There are many better choices at lower prices these days.
Zero came first, costs less, no distortion peak, and most importantly, does not have a shady history. So no way.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont understand why this website is obsessed with the truthear zero and zero red. There are many better choices at lower prices these days.
Hi

If you feel this is the case, please provide at least the names of the alternatives. It would be even better if you could send some to @amirm for reviewing, since they are even less expensive. That way you would help us with our (so far justified) "obsession". For my part, I am amazed every time I put these TCZ (both versions) on... Such great sound for that kind of price,

Peace.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does that curve really have more high frequency energy than Harman's?
Indeed:
20220517204951_Knowles-Response-Curve01-Knwls-Web.jpg
Source

MrSoul4470

I own these and are simply a joke. Heavily V sound, very bright, fatiguing and generally unpleasant.
No. They only sound overly bright if you're used to a heavily downward sloped frequency response when you listen with loudspeakers. They remind me very much of good studio monitors in the nearfield <1m. Maybe that's not for everyone.

Edit: Zeros sound too dark and muffled to me in comparision.

uwotm8

I have ZST and I'd say they are garbage but honestly I can get used to its sound for YouTube and audio books when on travel/in subway.
Bought just to tame my curiosity about BA drivers - in that implementation those are rubbish as expected.
There are some frequency ranges what are illuminated, overall sound is strange and artificially "detailed" but some people seem to like that trick.
Sort of V-shaped but in a strange way.
EQ helps but doesn't change their nature.
1699615061149.png

MyCuriosity

No. They only sound overly bright if you're used to a heavily downward sloped frequency response when you listen with loudspeakers. They remind me very much of good studio monitors in the nearfield <1m. Maybe that's not for everyone.

Edit: Zeros sound too dark and muffled to me in comparision.
Fair enough. I don't like the target Amir is using anyway and the zeros are ok for me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KZ has been involved in multiple scandals throughout the years. Hard to support a company like that by purchasing their products imo.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't understand or you don't like it? I mean it shouldn't be a surprise that many people prefer headphones that comply with target curve that most people seem to prefer.

And in the end it really doesn't even matter what curve is used as a target as long as it is well known comparison point for readers. Otherwise we just have to take some random reviewer's opinions about how he felt about certain device at face value.

Like #30, "it only sounds bright if you are used to less bright sound". I'm sure, but is this information useful?

a2Thompson

For me the Truthear zeros (blue) have been utterly transformative...probably the best audio experience I have ever had. But, I get a superb seal. I think I would try the reds next before these KZ's based on these measurements (i.e., the likely 'resonance' issue). My hunch is that once FR gets close enough personal preferences start to take over and for IEM the fit and seal can dominate the experience. For instance, I find the difference between one ear in and both ears in is night and day.

Azathoth

Using these with the AZ09 bluetooth modules and they sound fine for gym purposes. I love the Harman tuning just fine. It does seem to feel a bit artificial in the treble region so yeah.

GeekyBastard

I hate this KZ brand with passion.

KZ has been caught hiring a lot of paid posters in Chinese forums, not a trustworthy brand.

Top Bottom