• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, I was super interested in reading this and assumed that, given the price, that Klipsch would have attempted a loud but accurate speaker. Dissapointed. I'll keep my new retro Wharefdale Lintons then. Not as loud but reasonable and flatter, more bass and less distortion.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent review. Thanks. Looks like they should have kept it sealed and made it active in order to fix some of the tonal anomalies.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Wow truly comprehensive to the point alot went over my head. Great work Erin your reviews are top quality.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I feel like I've been hit with the best landslide possible.

Brushing myself off, I can see why people like them, honestly. If I had a pair and listened to music only very quietly, it'd be nice.

Turn-offs are that I wouldn't want to turn them up and the price is o_O

Vintage57

Forum Donor
FWIW. I have a pair of Heresy’s 1st generation, plywood cabinets in black paint. They’re in my garage on a high shelf upside down, woofer near ceiling.
They rock when all garage doors are open and I’m washing my car. They coast me $300 and are worth every penny. Garage is 11 x 7 meters and they fill the space without strain.
If you can find an old pair they can have their place vs bluetooth coffee can speakers.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
A particular YouTube review who has tens of thousands of views per video (I won't mention his name or link him here because I don't want to give him the business) literally said this about the Heresy IV:
... arguably one of the best all around loudspeakers at this price point and likely higher that I have ever heard ... it's amazing
no subwoofer required
it is completely and utterly satisfying in the low end

200.gif

muad

A particular YouTube review who has tens of thousands of views per video (I won't mention his name or link him here because I don't want to give him the business) literally said this about the Heresy IV:

200.gif
Which one was it? I'm trying to figure this out

Great test and review!

Not exactly what I have in mind for a speaker although my boxes are also quite high in efficiency. Good to know they won't hide in shame with the Heresy folks--quite the opposite in reality. Back in the day....errr, decade or around 1990, I took a sniff at the Klipsch Forte II I believe--liked them but they had a rather crisp high end which I found annoying after awhile. I wonder if Klipsch wll attempt to solve those issues since the measurements show it or will attempt to wow random Youtubers instead?

Nothing against Klipsch, just wonder about attempts to improve due to the evil Klippel NFS spilling the beans. Oh yeah, I'm "new" but not improved in any way....keep it between the curbs! Thanks again.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Rcornieoly by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Heh, as a moderately long-time (10 years) but decidedly former Cornwall owner... I understand completely.
I looked at the FR curves and thought "well, claims by others to the contrary, these are still gonna sound like Heresys".
Very cool to see a thorough assessment of the new ones!
(If you ever really get bored, the current Cornwalls would be interesting to assess, too -- a bit pricey, though)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Very interesting to see this. I love the way these look. 3/4 plywood is one of my favorite materials, and the book matched American walnut is really nicely done. The new Klipsch fives have a little Jamo DNA in their look now, which isn't a bad thing. Impedance looks like it should be friendly to tube amps with output transformer windings for 4 ohms, which will be an important consideration for some people. Seems like it might do better with some bass bounce positioned closer to the wall or corner. It pains me to say this here on ASR, but these could be a really good pairing (eek) with a low-powered SET amp like a 300B, or maybe even a 2A3, and the FR mostly stays in a 3dB window... there are lots of speakers that do way better, but this one is not too bad compared to some other very old designs like paper-cone full range speakers and such. I have a pair of old Heresys and love them. They are way worse than the IVs BTW. :p Yeah Focal Arias are way better most of the time, but it's nice to have choices. Klipsch speakers are fun if you are into tubes and vintage gear and stuff. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone without some caveats.

Yes, Klipsch pays the youtubers. c'mon guys.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Based on my experience with the 1974 Cornies I had -- yes, they'll sound less bad with SE triode amplification. My Cornies were profoundly (unlistenably, IMO) ear-gouging driven by a McIntosh MC-2100 (autoformer-coupled ss) amplifier; much less so with SE EL84 or (ultimately) SE 2A3 amplification.

Ericglo

Is that dude paid by Klipsch to market their loudspeakers?

YouTube's bad AI keeps recommending his Klipsch reviews to me.

It is difficult to understand how he can make a living as an audio "journalist" (presumably he is making a living from this activity) while being so uninformed about his field.

He isn't the only one.

I should note that when I did a search the first video that came up of him was "Am I a fraud?":)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the measurements show that its a retro loudspeaker which despite of being now in its 4th generation is reference/state of the art in horn loudspeakers...
...but only for the 1970s when the first generation was released...

Last edited:
Top Bottom