• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Uni-Q generations and speakers

Descartes

Major Contributor
Interesting several months ago KEF said they were going to release new products and we haven’t seen or heard anything yet.

I guess 60 year anniversary was not as good as the 50 year anniversary when they launched the LS50!

Crosstalk

Interesting several months ago KEF said they were going to release new products and we haven’t seen or heard anything yet.

I guess 60 year anniversary was not as good as the 50 year anniversary when they launched the LS50!
Where did kef say that ?

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think they've announced anything. Only thing I think we know is coming is the LSX II, due to a brief glimpse of its rear panel in the anechoic chamber in a promotional video. (Could have been unintentional, or a sneaky little easter egg for people to catch).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"This product may take 12-14 weeks for delivery."

Ouch

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Omg!!
1644537356056.png

Descartes

Major Contributor
No pricing yet and not much specifics either! I suspect that they will increase the price by 20% at least!

Also only on the international website not the Us one?
The Reference with Meta.png

Eventually all their speakers will have the meta technology!

Last edited:

Crosstalk

No pricing yet and not much specifics either! I suspect that they will increase the price by 20% at least!

Also only on the international website not the Us one?
View attachment 185775

Eventually all their speakers will have the meta technology!
Apparently it’s not there on international site anymore. Which country did you try?

Crosstalk

That’s good. The references already have almost flat response and low distortion. I wonder what can we achieve more than it? But the woofers clearly had some room for improvement. Instead of adding meta it would have been great if they produced woofers which outclasses everyone.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Kef took down the page already.
It appears that the web developer was too early to make changes.

I think we’ll have to wait until 17th now.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is this announcement?
In any case, I think the Meta material is a great marketing move, but doubt the improvement is as marked as many claim. Comparing the measurements, I doubt people can tell an audible difference, and the differences may be pure statistical variance. I got the Metas but didn't keep them, they sounded the exact same to me - and visually I much preferred the Racing Red version I was able to score.
Seriously, the measurements look extremely close, so I kinda smirk when people hear a "huge difference". :)

Attachments

• ls50 compare.png
    ls50 compare.png
    596.3 KB · Views: 159

Crosstalk

In any case, I think the Meta material is a great marketing move, but doubt the improvement is as marked as many claim. Comparing the measurements, I doubt people can tell an audible difference, and the differences may be pure statistical variance. I got the Metas but didn't keep them, they sounded the exact same to me - and visually I much preferred the Racing Red version I was able to score.
Seriously, the measurements look extremely close, so I kinda smirk when people hear a "huge difference". :)
I listened to them both many times and every time metas sounded very neutral and the regular one sounded more “lively with upper mids” and the treble definitely is rolled off. Due to that boost in upper mids on regular ls50, the treble roll off is more exagerated. And it’s hard to ignore the difference. Cymbals sound realistic on meta but on regular it’s like someone put on a a cloth on the top of the speaker. But it’s smooth for that reason

Descartes

Major Contributor
Interesting so why did Amir like the LS50 meta and not the original?

I also scored on the Ferrari Red use them as surround speakers ;)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting so why did Amir like the LS50 meta and not the original?

I also scored on the Ferrari Red use them as surround speakers ;)
Because Amir is just as fallible and inconsistent as any reviewer when it comes to the purely subjective part of his conclusions. It makes zero sense to find big gaps in bass in one and laud it in the other etc. Form of the day thing, we are human. The measurements show the character of either is near identical. Who are you going to trust, your own eyes or a subjective paragraph?

Top Bottom