• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 1 META Bookshelf Speaker Review by Erin's Audio Corner

muad

You cannot give absolute answers to this, but Toole's research showed that as long as the off axis response was even with on axis (mainly in the horizontal axis) a wide pattern control is preferred by most people (that includes trained listeners)

Contrary to the belief of many, if the off axis specra matches on axis, sound is preferred with many reflection points/shapes around the speakers. I can't remember if he came to a conclusion over what happens in the '3ft' reflection window (IE where the delay between the fundamental and reflection is close enough in time to be heard as one sound)

Muad:
When using a wide pattern speaker with walls/surfaces close by, consider adding further tilt to the treble response as the brain hears a somewhat 'averaged' SPL with close surfaces. This is why many of the revel flagship speakers have treble balance controls.

Interestingly, I find the R3s good, but the METAs much better.
I have the R3 metas now... Liking what I hear so far but I need to spend more time giving them my full attention (I'm in the middle of moving in). Much better tonal balance.

But yeah, I had the old r3s and bmr in a large room, where the sidewalls were far away from the speakers on the left, and non existent on the right, but I still found them a little top heavy. I figured that if the speakers dispersion is extremely wide, then the estimated in room response will have less of a tilt (first reflections arrive close to the on axis arrival). Overall it just sounded like the whole room was overloaded with treble. That was my working explanation for what I was hearing re: old treble happy recordings.

I tried treating first reflections with couch cushions etc, but it changed nothing

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Reference 3 Meta and I'm trying for a suitable amp below 2000 Euro. The only diff seems to be the max power rating: 300W instead of 200W (Kef Ref 1 Meta). Sandu from soundnews is driving them with dual mono AHB2s.

- Considering that drop below 4 ohm between 40Hz and 300Hz, what would you recommend: dual mono NCx500 or Nilai500 or 1ET7040 or 1ET400?
- Will there be any audible difference between any these Hypex amps? What would a dual AHB2 setup bring to the table in addition?
- If all the Hypex amps sound the same as many confirmed already (but using what speakers?) and it comes down only to output voltage/current, which one is the best bet considering the Kef's FR?

kazsud

I bought the Starkrimson gan-fet mono blocks (1.8k) for my refference 1s and they sound amazing, but their max power is only 150 watts. Not sure if the 500 watt mono blocks would fill them in more but they cost 5k.

Ciobi69

I bought the Starkrimson gan-fet mono blocks (1.8k) for my refference 1s and they sound amazing, but their max power is only 150 watts. Not sure if the 500 watt mono blocks would fill them in more but they cost 5k.
Depends on the room size /listening distance, you should be fine if it's a good amp

fineMen

Major Contributor
...The only diff seems to be the max power rating: 300W instead of 200W (Kef Ref 1 Meta). ...
Just in case, doubling (!) the amp power will yield only 3dB of more output from the speakers. A rise from 200W to 300W would only give 1,8dB more. This little would be identifiable in direct comparison, but not without a reference, e/g when you just step into a room.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was not sure where to ask (maybe in the subwoofer comparison thread?) and didn't want to open a new thread, so I ask it here: What subwoofer would you recommend pairing them with in a medium-large room (35m2 but open to other rooms via a corridor), primarily for music and for an occasional action movie? (Side note: In my room the KEFs with my current sub apparently cannot go down to 30Hz - although I didn't measure it, I found a 30Hz test track found on Tidal and it only moves the membranes but it's not audible anywhere in the room.)

Budget is around 3000EUR:
- The original idea was 2x large sealed SVS subs, but then I started looking into other directions.
- 1x KF92 for music + 1x large ported sub for HT (e.g. Monolith M15 V2 or SVS SB16 or something smaller because we live on the 4th floor with neighbors around)
- 1x KF92 for mixed use and add a second one later. I don't need insane sound pressure levels for music, I prefer bass quality.

I could get the KEF used from a demo room for 1400EUR here in Germany and the Monolith costs 2000EUR at Audiophonics. I've read a lot of good feedback from other forum members who use the KF92 in combination with KEF R / Ref series speakers. I also watched Erin's review and I have a feeling that a single KF92 would be more suitable for smaller rooms. Plus I won't be able to use it with XLR outputs (custom-made cable required) and if I have to place them behind the couch, there will be RCA cable lengths up to 10-12m.

Top Bottom