• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 5 vs. KEF Reference 3 Meta

mrxad81

Hi,

i have the possibility to get a pair of KEF Reference 5 (the older model, not Meta) and a pair of Reference 3 Meta (the new model).
Both are demo units and the Reference 5 are just a "littlebit" more expensive.
Which of both would you choose?
Bass performance ist prio. 1 for me (and I do not like and want support through a subwoofer).

Does anybody of you had the chance to listen to both speakers?

Regards

mglobe

Forum Donor
Hi,

i have the possibility to get a pair of KEF Reference 5 (the older model, not Meta) and a pair of Reference 3 Meta (the new model).
Bass performance ist prio. 1 for me (and I do not like and want support through a subwoofer).

Regards
Here's a comparison of predicted listening position frequency response. Reference 3 Meta solid line, Reference 5 dashed. If bass is priority #1, it looks like you would prefer the 5. This is a pretty simplistic view, but it points out the considerable difference in bass response.

https://www.spinorama.org/compare.h...ference+5&origin1=Vendors-KEF&version1=vendor

OP
M

mrxad81

Thank you mglobe. Simplistic view but in a neutral perspective that are the theoretical facts…

MEGB1262

Hi there,
i would definitely go for the R3 Meta and improve step by step with 2+ subs

So far - so good, Stefano

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Hi,

Regards
I have not listened to them. But, hands down, I would go with the Reference speakers.

The Reference speakers you are looking at may not have the Meta back plate for the tweeter, but they measure so well that it may not be an issue. And, you can always add EQ for fine adjustments. The drivers KEF uses in the Reference series speakers have better dynamic range, better (lower) compression, the cabinet vibrations are lower, lower distortion, etc.

This video will give you an idea of the difference between the R series and the Reference series:

Top Bottom