• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been listening to the newly acquired R3 for 2 days, improvement over JBL 530 is big. I have them both connected to CXA61 and switching back n forth, R3 is just better in every way.
welcome to clarity...edit: i like the 530s but r3's are a nice step up, especially in transparency...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't get the R3, the veneer models cost a good bit more and the black or white are glossy. :facepalm:
Am i the only one suffering under constant dust and fingerprint attacks?

Talisman

Forum Donor
I can't get the R3, the veneer models cost a good bit more and the black or white are glossy. :facepalm:
In reality, I too had asked myself the problem, then I simply thought that the speakers shouldn't be touched continuously, they are positioned, cleaned and then there is no reason to touch them continuously

3125b

Major Contributor
Just use a microfibre cloth, it's the same for furniture and other electronics. Use them dry to clean off dust and fingerprints and wet for sticky substances (kitchen counter tops etc.). They work so much better for cleaning anything than regular rags. The only problematic surfaces to clean are rubber (incl. soft touch coatings) and overly rough finishes, for those I'd recommend a brush.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there is no reason to touch them continuously
1664976902749121.gif

fineMen

Major Contributor
We are more than 8 billion now, who would answer that question? Maybe you (let) dismantle them and get it re-finished at some auto body shop? "My pink Cadillac!" (BMW recommends the same when asking for body color yellow, btw)

I was on to build stands serving also as subwoofers for the R3s and stop now halfway. Despite investing two medium to high quality 8" bass drivers each (!) I couldn't improve the overall performance. The sub ruins the R3's low distortion and intermodulation figures up to quite elevated listening levels. Let alone the extra complications with added amplification and DSP. It's hilarious! I'm crushed, feeling like the "Catweazel" might have. :facepalm:

( the 'electric trick', KEF guys know what I mean)

mike70

but you listen with the ears or with the hands? :)

I have the glossy black (perfect combination with my svs sub) and I only use a microfiber cloth from time to time to dust cleaning. 0 fingerprints.

muad

We are more than 8 billion now, who would answer that question? Maybe you (let) dismantle them and get it re-finished at some auto body shop? "My pink Cadillac!" (BMW recommends the same when asking for body color yellow, btw)

I was on to build stands serving also as subwoofers for the R3s and stop now halfway. Despite investing two medium to high quality 8" bass drivers each (!) I couldn't improve the overall performance. The sub ruins the R3's low distortion and intermodulation figures up to quite elevated listening levels. Let alone the extra complications with added amplification and DSP. It's hilarious! I'm crushed, feeling like the "Catweazel" might have. :facepalm:

( the 'electric trick', KEF guys know what I mean)

So to be clear, did you build and measure them with the subwoofer stands?

OldenEars

Stop fingering your speakers :)

Also, I'm sure there are audiophile grade sterile gloves available to use whilst polishing:)

edit: just wanted to say i wasn't suggesting you are/are not an audiophile, was just trying to make a lame joke.

Last edited:

goldenears

Been listening to the newly acquired R3 for 2 days, improvement over JBL 530 is big. I have them both connected to CXA61 and switching back n forth, R3 is just better in every way.
Interesting. I've been curious about JBL and horns, never heard them.

I love the R3s though, so probably no point.

Can you compare them a bit more, beyond just saying "improvement"? What's different?

fineMen

Major Contributor
So to be clear, did you build and measure them with the subwoofer stands?
Yes, I built subwoofers double serving as stands. These, despite using two 8" woofers each with some serious amplification and DSP showed in combination with the R3s three to 10 times the distortion of the R3s alone. While the R3s were, when playing alone, equalized to have the same frequenc response as when supplemented with the subs.

Only benefit was an extension down to 25Hz with the subs as opposed to 35Hz with the R3s alone.

Last edited:

mike70

I have the R3s (full port plugs) with a svs 3000 micro (crossed at 80hz, 90 degrees phased) and they blend perfectly ... better bass definition and extension.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I built subwoofers double serving as stands. These, despite using two 8" woofers each with some serious amplification and DSP showed in combination with the R3s three to 10 times the distortion of the R3s alone. While the R3s were, when playing alone, equalized to have the same frequenc response as when supplemented with the subs.
Could you also please show the measurements of both setups, such is always interesting. :)

mike70

Are measurements available?

i do the homework with an umik-1 and REW, that gives me the background for the settings ... and the results are totally audible objectively and subjectively.
i think the key are the port plugs, i mean, less "mess" in the under 60hz region.
A decent sub works much better in that frequencies, is designed to do that with a dedicated powerful class D amplifier.

fieldcar

These, despite using two 8" woofers each with some serious amplification and DSP showed in combination with the R3s three to 10 times the distortion of the R3s alone.
Interesting, so your R3's had less distortion below ~80Hz than DIY subs? That sounds strange. It's been my understanding that once you are in the subwoofer frequency domain, it's purely mechanical, as in, you're displacing air volume, and that's really it. DSP's EQ/limiting and port chuffing/resonances can highly skew measurements too. What DSP, amplification, drivers, and enclosure are you using? EDIT: Did you put a HPF on your R3's? That could be the culprit.

Link to calculator. Of course this is an oversimplification compared to full on subwoofer design software.

1683033807314.png

1683033824145.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
i do the homework with an umik-1 and REW, that gives me the background for the settings ... and the results are totally audible objectively and subjectively.
Could you also please show the measurements of both setups, such is always interesting. :)
No, as I quite often posted measurements with not any result. It seems to be not at all interesting.

Please post your's first.
Interesting, so your R3's had less distortion below ~80Hz than DIY subs? That sounds strange.
Two 8" (each) in a sub enclosure which double serves as a stand? Did you do the math assuming the same width and depth as the R3 has?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, as I quite often posted measurements with not any result. It seems to be not at all interesting.

Please post your's first.
?? I don't have any R3 (yet) but I have posted several measurements in the past, by coincidence even today distortion of my LS50M+sub combination, so I am eagerly waiting for yours. :)

Top Bottom