• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Duckeenie

It seems beauty is not only skin deep.

maty

Major Contributor
index.php

From the KEF R series [PDF]

KEF-R3-frequency-from-pdf.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The assumption is they should measure "the same". Aren't you curious to see if there is a difference ?
I am more curious what the next speaker I have not tested, measures. :)

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for measuring these -- this is better than I expected.

For what it's worth, my subjective impression of my KEF R500 (floorstanders, previous gen KEF R series) are fairly similar to what Amir is hearing on these. I think it may have to do with directivity.

Midwest Blade

It is interesting to note your subjective thoughts that enter the discussion post measurements. Loudspeakers are indeed an acquired taste and obviously we all perceive some different characteristics whether it be bass, midrange or high frequency when listening. I place a high importance on speakers in any system and a good base to start is speakers that measure well and then how it sounds to the listener. Once again the loudpeaker review is quite enlightening.

Good health and listening to all, I think many of us may have the time in the coming weeks to get some listening time in while waiting out the current pandemic.

Biblob

I was really excited for this speaker. Great to see it measured by the Klippel. It looks like a very competent designed speaker. Strange you don't find it all that enjoyable compared to the Revels.

If I compare the measurements with the Revel, the biggest difference are in the bass-extension (Kef wins), the bump at 80-200 hz from the Revel, and the sloping down from 6 khz and up from the Revel.

Is it possible you can compare them blindly? Or Eq them and then compare them? Comparing these two offer interesting results because of the excellent spins these two have. It could be possible you are unconsciously biased towards the Revels.

TimVG

Major Contributor
What's interesting is that the 705p has less measured bass.. but it was well received in the listening test.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible you can compare them blindly? Or Eq them and then compare them? Comparing these two offer interesting results because of the excellent spins these two have. It could be possible you are unconsciously biased towards the Revels.
None of that is possible right now. I need to setup a different space with such controls. My main system is just not setup for this kind of experimentation.

maty

Major Contributor
This is how I picture @maty looking at R3 spinorama charts for the first time. :D

View attachment 54012

I disagree. It is better than original KEF Q100 (€ 398 in 2013, Spain). I can always implement the new crossover created by Zvu -> little money to add new components.

index.php

But I do not listen to on axis!!!

To me, the more important Q100 frequency graph:

index.php

Remember: my modded KEF Q100 sounds much better than original. Again: much better.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Based on the results MZKM posted, we are starting to see evidence of the cost vs. performance curve at the high end:

1. Genelec 8341A - $6,000/pair
2. KEF R3 - $2,000/pair
3. Revel M16 - $900/pair

The R3 and 8341A are the top 2 in preference factor by a wide margin. Does that make them the 2 best speakers?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for being so open about the occasional disconnect between measured performance and subjective impression.

There is, of course, a certain amount of confirmation bias on my side on the above statement, because that is exactly how I feel with the different pairs I own and use on a regular basis. "Preferred FR response" may be valid from a purely statistical point of view in terms of customers, but it certainly does not tell the whole story as far as speakers are concerned. On top of that, when I hear how differently my speakers perform in different rooms and how positioning in the same room affects the listening experience (even equalized), I am left a bit pensive about predictions...

tecnogadget

Wow, impressive! This one I was waiting for so long! You guys rock!
I BLINDLY bought a pair of R3 and center R2C without even demo and this review makes me happy. Before this, I did the same with the big center from the previous generation R600.

Great on-axis FR without noticeable/nasty peaks and dips, that broad increase from 3k to 10k does not bother to me as is low in amplitude and you can easily EQ it out to your taste with manual PEq or Dirac. I don't believe if you are in the pursuit of audio finesse you would simply buy a speaker, take it out of the box, place it on a stand and call it done. Your ears will listen to speaker + room interaction.

The in-room response is right on point, except for that small treble bump that you can work out with toe-in or Eq.
Harmonic Distortion super clean, below 0,5% until 200hz.

It surprises me not much has been discussed in the Sound Power & Early Reflections DI which looks extremely good! This makes for Dirac heaven when taking into account such a smooth frequency response.

@amirm Is it possible to complete the Advanced Speaker Measurements section with Early-Horizontal-Vertical reflection plots, SPL Horizontal & Vertical, Eye-Candy measurements?

Top Bottom