• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

3125b

Major Contributor
How often do you touch your speakers? While I hate high gloss finishes on surfaces that need to be touched regularly (looking at you, car manufacturers), on speakers this really is a non-issue for me. A dry microfibre towel will take care of dust and the occasional fingerprint easily.

muad

How often do you touch your speakers? While I hate high gloss finishes on surfaces that need to be touched regularly (looking at you, car manufacturers), on speakers this really is a non-issue for me. A dry microfibre towel will take care of dust and the occasional fingerprint easily.
Personally i don't like it aesthetically, but even more of an issue are TV reflections.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How often do you touch your speakers?
You don't?
1654707517100.gif

I tried the microfiber towel thing, but the dust reappears, so i gave up eventually.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
High shiny finish is the best finish
The ls60 series looks kind of bad because of these matte colors, also not a black color available

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How often do you touch your speakers?

That's a bit of a personal question. ;) However, I do like to fondle mine occasionally, especially now that I'm experimenting with a 10 degree toe-out...

I too, use a microfiber cloth to remove my fondle marks.

g_t_r

Are the speakers also as good in reality as in measurements? Any hands on experience by real users?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the speakers also as good in reality as in measurements?
I would say they can't be bad, if they measure that nice. :oops:
Also, Erin knows his stuff, it's wise to give his opinion some weight, it seems he liked them.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Are the speakers also as good in reality as in measurements? Any hands on experience by real users?

I've had mine since early March. I think they sound very neutral. I've paired them with an ok sub and powered them with a very clean setup. As set up, they produce incredibly articulate, balanced sound with smooth full bass. I'm very happy.

muad

I have to say, the speaker measures well but I kept wondering about the horizontal response. It's seems pretty variable relative to the DI and ER.
1687319056788.png

I was just on Erin's review and noticed the response was updated to this one.

1687318998085.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zvu

jiji

I've had mine since early March. I think they sound very neutral. I've paired them with an ok sub and powered them with a very clean setup. As set up, they produce incredibly articulate, balanced sound with smooth full bass. I'm very happy.
Great to hear. Do you have any experience with Kef LS50(non- metas) ? If so how your R3 metas sounds compared to Kef LS50? I'm curious to know as I'm planning to upgrade to R3 metas. I'm interested to know if the upgrade will be worth?

thegeton

Forum Donor
Great to hear. Do you have any experience with Kef LS50(non- metas) ? If so how your R3 metas sounds compared to Kef LS50? I'm curious to know as I'm planning to upgrade to R3 metas. I'm interested to know if the upgrade will be worth?

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with LS50s of any type. Is there a hifi shop near you where you could audition the R3Ms?

pjn

I upgraded from LS50 meta to R7 meta. Certainly the R7 metas are a huge upgrade from the LS50 metas - I would thing the R3 metas would be a lesser upgrade but still likely a significant improvement.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I upgraded from LS50 meta to R7 meta. Certainly the R7 metas are a huge upgrade from the LS50 metas - I would thing the R3 metas would be a lesser upgrade but still likely a significant improvement.
And the pictures? :)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People, listen to these big floorstanders before buying one. Next to the bookshelf one, in a room that is at least close to the size you are going to use it.

R11 is a huge speaker for a huge room. I guess you can make it work with eq in a small room but why? Look at the measurements and show from that what exactly are you getting from it compared to R3 for example.

Pudik

To y'all:

I love measurements, since i have electronic engineering background. Measurements, however, cannot predict whether the sound of a group of high strings will be smooth or harsh. I listen to hip hop, blues, country, folk, fiddle and jazz. However, i also listen to classical music, where the booming of the foot drum and bass guitar doesn't count a bit. If the criterion of one's listening only revving up the speakers as loud as our hearing can withstand, we would not pay attention to balance between instrument groups and vocals, since at high volume one can't distinguish the fine points of a recording or lack thereof. Volume counts at dance clubs, where bass supersedes everything to assure that ppl hear timing to be able to stomp. You just don't (can't) hear the song. Bookshelves don't need to satisfy club like PA speaker attributes. If one wants base, buy a very good subwoofer, and make sure it is balanced with the bookshelves and the case is closed. Anyway, maybe i am stating the obvious. P.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I went from Non Meta LS50's to Non Meta R3's. Definitely an upgrade from 2 way to 3 way speakers. Better (mid) bass, and a smoother more full bodied presentation. Used a single subwoofer with both. Sorry but I don't know about the R3 Metas... yet ;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What I find really interesting from these speakers is how they reach 40hz at significant spl. That tells me that with ART, these speakers sound very promising!

For the rest of the dips and peaks, they are mild enough to take EQ quite well.

songOVERsound

Why on earth would you buy the R11 for listening nearfield?
Part of the reason is they are half price..

But also, the midrange and tweeter are the same on the r11’s as they are in the other models correct? Why would it matter how big the speaker is, as long as I can place it? The woofers cross over at 400 hz, so, not as affected by localization. Everything above 400 is a point source, in the same manner as all the r series speakers.

The best reason to get them for me is because the woofers are spread out, being less susceptible to the floor/ceiling bounce.

The size of speaker vs room is only valid for positioning. This is why Bruno Putzey will tell you the Kii three BXT works well for small rooms and near field listening.

The only caveat is that some speakers have a farther listening distance for some reason. Geithains for example, even though their drivers aren’t spaced out from each other

Top Bottom