• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's the comparison between R3 and R3 Meta:
on axis 2.gif

on axis 1.gif

early reflections.gif

in room.gif

spl horizontal.gif

spl vertical.gif

horizontal contour plot normalized.gif

vertical contour plot normalized.gif

Impedance.gif

step response.gif

harmonic 86.gif

harmonic 96.gif

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The rising treble on the OG r3 tells me why the meta might sound more neutral in comparison, imo the r3 didn't sound overly bright when i heard them, admittedly it was too short of a listen to get much fatigue....

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There really isn't much in it. Due to the DI's being identical (no surprises there, the cabinet and driver dimensions are literally identical) you could almost certainly EQ the OG R3 to match the R3 meta, then I'd bet in an AB you couldn't pick the difference.

IMO, If you have the original R3's, no need to rush out and but the R3 metas. If you want the R3 Metas, the clearance pricing on R3's is probably the deal of the century right now.

Same goes for R7's etc.

Looks like the R3 Metas they just tamed a bit of the R3's brightness. I cant comment on the actual 'META' absorbtion thing, but IMO its probably a bit of squeezing the last 0.5% out of an already exceptional bookshelf speaker.

In fact, if one wasn't so schooled in speaker measurements and looked at the above graphs, subjectively they might pick the OG R3. It 'looks' smoother, did Erin use different smoothing on the data between the two?

Beave

Major Contributor
In fact, if one wasn't so schooled in speaker measurements and looked at the above graphs, subjectively they might pick the OG R3. It 'looks' smoother, did Erin use different smoothing on the data between the two?

I was wondering the same thing. The original R3 definitely has less jaggedness in response, both on axis and off axis. Its measurements appear somewhat smoothed in comparison to the R3 Meta measurements.

muad

I was wondering the same thing. The original R3 definitely has less jaggedness in response, both on axis and off axis. Its measurements appear somewhat smoothed in comparison to the R3 Meta measurements.
I think the OG R3 was before he got the Klippel NFS.

songOVERsound

Does anyone know the minimum listening distance for all KEF “R” series? Particularly the r11. I want to use it for nearfield roughly 4 ft or 1.2 m

I can’t find this info for the life of me

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird but I stand corrected.

Just surprised, as Amirs measurement looks to be at a higher resolution than erins.
The smoothness depends on how many measurement points the NFS was set to capture, more points = jaggier. I guess Erin increased his at some point.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Disconsidering different Y axis scale, and jaggier curve of higher resolution, on the estimated room response the original R3 had a slightly boosted (horizontal) response above 1 kHz that the Meta fixed, ok.

But what surprised me was the original having slightly lower distortion than the Meta, even after all the technical advances listed on the white paper. How come??

KLang1

Same for info on 10 degrees off axis. I want measurements correlated to how I'd actually use the speaker.
As you always should with coaxials as they restrict the design possibilities of the 'waveguide'. I have yet to see one that has perfect directivity relative to 0°. E.g. even Genelec weren't able to get it perfect with their 83x1 series, only damn close. Still dips on axis at around 17kHz:
SPL%20Horizontal.png

My TB W6-2313 are great - at 15° off axis, which is neat because that way they have to stand perpendicular to the back wall.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I have yet to see any reviewers/consumers suggesting that the R3 Meta is a substantial upgrade from the original R3. Can anyone point me to an article or post on that subject?

delta76

Major Contributor
I have yet to see any reviewers/consumers suggesting that the R3 Meta is a substantial upgrade from the original R3. Can anyone point me to an article or post on that subject?
Kef R3 is already a great speaker. without making something significantly bigger, it's very difficult to make it significantly better.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Disconsidering different Y axis scale, and jaggier curve of higher resolution, on the estimated room response the original R3 had a slightly boosted (horizontal) response above 1 kHz that the Meta fixed, ok.

But what surprised me was the original having slightly lower distortion than the Meta, even after all the technical advances listed on the white paper. How come??
More bass eq. and thus lower sensitivity? (I didn't check specs)

exm

Depends what you mean with substantial.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish the whole series came with indigo blue.

Walnut it is then.
I don't get why it always has to be high gloss? Don't these people have oily fingers and dust?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It’s unlikely Erin added any ‘smoothing’ to his R3 measurements.

It’s more likely that Erin increased the resolution of his Klippel NFS measurements by increasing the number of sampling data points, at some point in time, from when he started measuring speakers with Klippel NFS and today. With more measurement resolution, the spin will look more jagged.

For example, Amir measured 8351B with 1000 points on his Klippel NFS, the 8361A not specified (but probably 1k?), and the 8341A with only 700 points.

That’s my understanding.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get why it always has to be high gloss? Don't these people have oily fingers and dust?
It looks impressive in photos and in the store. They find out later when they take home, but then the sale is already done. :)

Top Bottom