• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finding the right amplifier - General Question

Acapella

Hello together,

i am thinking about to find the right amp for my speakers.
Currently I am using KEF R3 Meta speakers and the amp should fit perfectly for the R3 metas.
So I don't need to worry about the volume as the amp is every time able to drive my speakers without clipping (but not destroy the speakers).

The KEF R3 Meta are 4 ohm loudspeakers regarding the datasheet vom KEF.

But they dip down to 3.2 ohm at about 100-200Hz as measured by Erin.
Link to Erins Test:
Test R3 Meta

Currently I have the Audiophonics AP300-S2503E as amp for the R3 Metas.

But I am not sure about the impedance and if the amp is able to drive the speakers without problem also with higher volume.
Cause the 3E Module which is installed in the amp has only ratings for 4ohm and 8ohm.

Are amps which don't have a 2ohm rating also capable to drive speakers with 3.2 ohm impedance dips or can this cause problems when hearing at higher levels?

If that is not a good idea then I need to switch the 3E Audiophonics Amp with another one (maybe Nilai DIY Stereo etc...).

Please don't suggest the 3E Mono Module as I don't want to complete DIY an amp due to lack of time.
Nilai DIY is possible cause all parts are complete shipped to me and I don't have to solder etc...

Maybe the experts here can give me some hints in general of the compatibility of amps with no 2ohm rating and speakers with 3.2ohm impedance dip.

Thanks in advance!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Almost any decent amp will handle a 3.2 ohm dip. So go for the power and features you need. I have personal experience with the Nilais and can attest that they'll drive your speakers effortlessly- but of course, so will a lot of other amps.

OP
A

Acapella

Thanks for your reply.

So is the Audiophonics AP300-S2503E with the 3e audio module 260-2-29A PFFB capable of driving the R3 Metas without problem?
Cause the 260-2-29A PFFB module don't has a 2ohm rating, but the power the module is able to produce is sufficient for my needs (like the Nilai Stereo also with 250W).

And with PFFB the frequency response looks also nice in amirs measurements, that why I bought this amp.

For me the R3 Metas in the beautiful Indigo Blue are very good speakers which fit perfectly in my 26qm room (also regarding room modes etc...) and I want to pair them with also a good and long-lasting amp which good reliability. So that I don't need to worry about the volume etc...

That's why I ask in general about that topic with the 3.2 ohm.

Last edited:

gwing

Forum Donor
But I am not sure about the impedance and if the amp is able to drive the speakers without problem also with higher volume.
Cause the 3E Module which is installed in the amp has only ratings for 4ohm and 8ohm.

Are amps which don't have a 2ohm rating also capable to drive speakers with 3.2 ohm impedance dips or can this cause problems when hearing at higher levels?

Maybe this will help - If an amplifier has a 4 Ohm rating then you can effectively take the 3.2 Ohm rating to be at least 80% of that at 4 Ohm when comparing it to other amplifiers. And a 20% drop in available power isn't likely to be significant

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks for your reply.

So is the Audiophonics AP300-S2503E with the 3e audio module 260-2-29A PFFB capable of driving the R3 Metas without problem?
Cause the 260-2-29A PFFB module don't has a 2ohm rating, but the power the module is able to produce is sufficient for my needs (like the Nilai Stereo also with 250W).

And with PFFB the frequency response looks also nice in amirs measurements, that why I bought this amp.

For me the R3 Metas in the beautiful Indigo Blue are very good speakers which fit perfectly in my 26qm room (also regarding room modes etc...) and I want to pair them with also a good and long-lasting amp which good reliability. So that I don't need to worry about the volume etc...

That's why I ask in general about that topic with the 3.2 ohm.
Should be fine.

Top Bottom