• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 bad woofer driver

OP
m_g_s_g

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Before you do this could you
  • check whether you can move the membrane in without a scratchy feeling
  • measure the DC- resistance with a multimeter (the cheapest suffices)
- I can move the membrane without a scratchy feeling, but excursion is very limited. Much more limited than with the working woofer driver.
- DC resistance = 0 ohm.

There is a bump dent in one side of the aluminium cover plate (not easy to see with the trim ring in position). Maybe this is how the driver got damaged?

Woofer Driver - defective 2.png

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I contacted them through the web and they answered with a quotation email from [email protected]. They didn’t ask for a serial #.

Maybe because I just need one? Maybe they have relaxed their policy of only supplying new drivers to owners?
I think what they were really clamping down on was the resale of their coaxial drivers. The woofers aren't anything special from a diy perspective, other than looking really cool.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- I can move the membrane without a scratchy feeling, but excursion is very limited. Much more limited than with the working woofer driver.
- DC resistance = 0 ohm.

There is a bump dent in one side of the aluminium cover plate (not easy to see with the trim ring in position). Maybe this is how the driver got damaged?

View attachment 101002

Physical damage looks minimal and could be bent back for the most part, but at 0 ohms, not worth spending much time on it. :eek:

OP
m_g_s_g

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
The replacement woofer arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been happily enjoying listening to my pair of R3 since. Thanks for your advice!

While replacing the woofer, I shooted some pictures of the damaged driver innards (with flash and a macro lens this time) and I was shocked: it is burnt! How can this happen? With a much too powerful amplifier?(or too weak?)

tempFileForShare_20201230-230850.jpg

For comparison, this is the new driver:
tempFileForShare_20201230-232115.jpg

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The replacement woofer arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been happily enjoying listening to my pair of R3 since. Thanks for your advice!

While replacing the woofer, I shooted some pictures of the damaged driver innards (with flash and a macro lens this time) and I was shocked: it is burnt! How can this happen? With a much too powerful amplifier?(or too weak?)

View attachment 102582
View attachment 102584
Previous owner probably neglected to use cable risers.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 102582
View attachment 102584

If one woofer looks like that, i wouldn't be surprised if other is charred also. Check other one and check the midranges also, if you can.

Previous owner attached some monster amp and listened very high distortion for quite some time judging by that coil.

Top Bottom