• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 wireless comments / active speaker advice needed

noobie1

By the way, these are relatively inexpensive, $359 for T0's on Amazon and $499 for the T1's. I've listened to KEF LS50's a few times and I prefer the Vanatoo's over them. If you like to play loud or have a large room, I would definitely look at the T1 Encores.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way, these are relatively inexpensive, $359 for T0's on Amazon and $499 for the T1's. I've listened to KEF LS50's a few times and I prefer the Vanatoo's over them. If you like to play loud or have a large room, I would definitely look at the T1 Encores.

Thanks for your comments. Yes! Their price are very attractive.

I just looked at their webpage. The Zero looks very cute! Though it is not for the same use as I intend, they surely look interesting!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing that worries me about D&D is it's a complex and highly integrated product with a lot of possibilities for something to go wrong.

This is what worries me about these newer generation active speakers with onboard DACs, wireless connectivity etc. My own view is that this is the way forward for hi-fi and I anticipate that the audio enthusiast segment will follow the general market shift towards active speakers replacing hi-fi components. I think if well designed there are performance advantages, it does away with various black or silver boxes, wiring and is fuss free. I made the shift for my home office desk top set up (with much cheaper speakers than are being considered here....) and am a convert to the concept. However, I do worry about the longer term durability of these speakers and support for them. They are complex and I suspect a lot of their innards will be proprietary. Fix by replacement in many cases I suspect.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just a moment ... are we here evaluating the comparison between a pair with a RRP of $2,000 with a pair @ $12,000 ?
Or am I missing something ? ;)
Bit off topic but it would be intresting to see how a company like pioneer would go about bringing a 8c type speaker to market, considering economy of scale and other factors.

How much would they be?

One can dream.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
This is what worries me about these newer generation active speakers with onboard DACs, wireless connectivity etc. My own view is that this is the way forward for hi-fi and I anticipate that the audio enthusiast segment will follow the general market shift towards active speakers replacing hi-fi components. I think if well designed there are performance advantages, it does away with various black or silver boxes, wiring and is fuss free. I made the shift for my home office desk top set up (with much cheaper speakers than are being considered here....) and am a convert to the concept. However, I do worry about the longer term durability of these speakers and support for them. They are complex and I suspect a lot of their innards will be proprietary. Fix by replacement in many cases I suspect.

Actually I just did some research on LS50 wireless today. I found that many people complained about reliability issues, with most of them related to electronics - a sudden pop sound, then one of the speakers died. A guy on another forum said he had replaced three sets of LS50w. That worries me!

As I only have limited knowledge on audio, the idea of finding the right amp for a right pair of speakers is too complicated for me. And I'm now too tired of spending money to look for hassles. (I learnt my mistakes from photography! :facepalm:) So I thought getting a pair of these "advanced" speakers should be more hassle-free. But actually it is not that easy!!

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Bit off topic but it would be intresting to see how a company like pioneer would go about bringing a 8c type speaker to market, considering economy of scale and other factors.

How much would they be?

One can dream.

Maybe the Apple speaker is already on that approach? But only in a more radical way (supporting Apple ecosystem only).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've only experience with the passive LS50. In my opinion it isn't a full range speaker. You help yourself in many ways to add a sub. The sub need not be a below 20 hz variety, just one that gets to the 30 hz range well and relieves the LS50 of the burden.

In view of your new concerns for reliability perhaps look into the Genelecs further. Those have a rep for reliability. Maybe even the 8040B. You'll need a DAC/preamp for it. Preferably one with balanced out. If the budget will stand it the RME ADI2 DAC would be a good choice.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/

Last edited:
OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I've only experience with the passive LS50. In my opinion it isn't a full range speaker. You help yourself in many ways to add a sub. The sub need not be a below 20 hz variety, just one that gets to the 30 hz range well and relieves the LS50 of the burden.

In view of your new concerns for reliability perhaps look into the Genelecs further. Those have a rep for reliability.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I added some info a minute ago so look at my post again.

noobie1

Thanks for your comments. Yes! Their price are very attractive.

I just looked at their webpage. The Zero looks very cute! Though it is not for the same use as I intend, they surely look interesting!

One thing about the D&D and LS50W is that they digitize all analog inputs into PCM format. Your RME is virtually obsolete with those speakers. Vanatoo’s are similar in this respect as well. Since your main listening format is DSD, you may not like the conversion. I have some DSD files and I don’t like the way it sounds on the Vanatoo.

If you want powered speakers that are analog and do not convert DSD to PCM, I would look at something like the Hedd Type 05, Type 07, Type 20 or Type 30.

FWIW, I’ve listened to the Kii Three for an hour at someone’s house. I thought they were excellent speakers but my wife thought they were somewhat soulless. Have not heard the D&D’s but I expect that they are slightly better than the Kii’s In that regard.

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing about the D&D and LS50W is that they digitize all analog inputs into PCM format. Your RME is virtually obsolete with those speakers. Vanatoo’s are similar in this respect as well. Since your main listening format is DSD, you may not like the conversion. I have some DSD files and I don’t like the way it sounds on the Vanatoo.

If you want powered speakers that are analog and do not convert DSD to PCM, I would look at something like the Hedd Type 05, Type 07, Type 20 or Type 30.

FWIW, I’ve listened to the Kii Three for an hour at someone’s house. I thought they were excellent speakers but my wife thought they were somewhat soulless. Have not heard the D&D’s but I expect that they are slightly better than the Kii’s In that regard.

I don't even know where to begin.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Please do. I’m not sure where I am factually wrong. I asked Martijin directly awhile back and he told me that D&D will convert all incoming analog signals to digital via ADC.
Most here would believe that ADC process in the 8c won’t effect the sound so if you like the DSD the conversation to
PCM or whatever won’t make any difference .

noobie1

Most here would believe that ADC process in the 8c won’t effect the sound so if you like the DSD the conversation to
PCM or whatever won’t make any difference .

Gotcha thanks. I clearly don’t have personal experience with Dutch & Dutch 8c’s ADC so I apologize for conjecturing. I just know that people who are into DSD tend to hate DSD->PCM conversion in their chain.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Gotcha thanks. I clearly don’t have personal experience with Dutch & Dutch 8c’s ADC so I apologize for conjecturing. I just know that people who are into DSD tend to hate DSD->PCM conversion in their chain.
Yea that’s often true, then again often the sacred DSD has already been turned into PCM for editing before you get it.

Gota keep it pure :D

graz_lag

Major Contributor

How much would they be?

If you check the speaker prices from the most reputed manufacturers, plus the electronic circuits involved (Pioneer has it's in-house production for all the involved components, including the speakers) , I would guess :

$4,000 if they wants to keep these as niche speakers "pour l'élite" ... $2,000 for a larger distribution ...

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
You're going to harsh their buzz, dude!

Ha-ha :) No problem, I am buying my DSDs and DXDs - certified as native with no conversion or upsampling during the recording/mastering *, from a catalog of 64 labels for a total of 1,500 albums, even at the non-realistic pace of one-per-day, it would take five years for me to digest them all ... Plenty of time to enjoy in the meantime the format waiting for the next ...

* with no certification, the list is much longer ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom