• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 + Sabaj A30a vs KEF LS50 Wireless

Katsuchiyo

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what would be a better setup regarding the KEF LS50 vs KEF LS50 Wireless.
Currently I'm driving my KEF LS50 with an Accuphase E-206. This is sounding very good, however I want downsize my setup in terms of physical size.

Now I am wondering if I should buy an Sabaj A30a or buy KEF LS50 Wireless. What would deliver better sound quality?

Regards,

Simon

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi - I went the exact same route, from Accuphase to something more compact - and the LS50 (which give me more sonic enjoyment than far more expensive -and large-) speakers.

The LS50 are especially amazing if you offload the lower bass from them, so to me a setup that includes a configurable xover frequency to a sub was very important. It is one thing that I still don't see those super-measuring DACs support, hence -to me- the LS50W would be the way to go if I had to start from scratch.

OP
K

Katsuchiyo

Do you mean the original LS50 Wireless from 2016, or the LS50 Wireless II from 2020?
Open for both options, was thinking in the first place to go for the LS50 Wireless 2016.
Not sure if the Wireless II is worth twice the money.

OP
K

Katsuchiyo

Hi - I went the exact same route, from Accuphase to something more compact - and the LS50 (which give me more sonic enjoyment than far more expensive -and large-) speakers.

The LS50 are especially amazing if you offload the lower bass from them, so to me a setup that includes a configurable xover frequency to a sub was very important. It is one thing that I still don't see those super-measuring DACs support, hence -to me- the LS50W would be the way to go if I had to start from scratch.
Havn't tried them yet with a crossover. Benefit from the Sabaj A30a amp that this cross-over is build in.
However, not sure how they sound quality stands up agains the LS50W

Update: I just tried a cross-over with an old Kef Kube 2 subwoofer. Holy **** this sounds good!
I think you solved my question.. I will get the Sabaj A30a (which has an integrated adjustable cross-over) and get a new sub for downstairs.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... Update: I just tried a cross-over with an old Kef Kube 2 subwoofer. Holy **** this sounds good! ...

It definitely "opens them up", in my opinion - glad you enjoy them.

Personally I find there is zero audible difference between the old LS50 and the new Meta version (and the minuscule measurement differences bear that out, see below the two graphs super-imposed).

ls vs ls.png

jdjung

I had a similar choice, buy a LS50 passive, amp and streamer vs a LS50 Wireless. I saw to many people stating their LS50 Wireless 1's had an amp go out so I went with the Wireless 2. So far pretty happy with it, with the LFE crossed over to my soundbars sub.

Top Bottom