• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 wireless comments / active speaker advice needed

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 305p speakers connected with ADI-2 DAC. I am now considering buying a pair of KEF LS50 wireless to replace the JBL. The question is: Would it be a significant upgrade that makes the money worthwhile?

Some background information:

I like music with very nice and smooth treble and mid-range, particularly vocals. I listen mostly to Jazz, classical, and country, but no metals or "loud" music. I'm not a bass head. Most of my music files are in DSD 64 format ripped from SACD stored in my external hard drive. I currently connect my computer to the ADI-2 DAC with a long USB and then run balanced between the ADI-2 DAC and the 305p speakers.

There are several considerations I have. I noticed that the LS50 wireless does not have XLR input. If I connect it with my ADI-2 DAC on RCA, will it be potentially worse off than running balanced on my existing JBL (such as, ground hums etc)?

Alternatively, I can use the DAC inside LS50 wireless directly. But will it be a better choice than my ADI-2 DAC? I think the LS50W DAC doesn't have direct DSD support.

Also, is a subwoofer necessary for LS50 wireless? I remember some members have said LS50 could sound boxy without a sub. I would like to hear you guys comments on it.

Lastly, how is the build quality of LS50 wireless? Is it something that can last for a relatively long time?

Apart from the KEF LS50 wireless, any other good alternatives? I'm open to other options. Or should I really just make a good investment to buy D&D 8C and use it for the next 15 years?

Your advice is much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
D&D! I love my LS50 passive speakers. The actives have a bit more bass, but my system never sounded complete until I added a sub. Adding a sub is not plug and play, but after a while I got it right.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
D&D! I love my LS50 passive speakers. The actives have a bit more bass, but my system never sounded complete until I added a sub. Adding a sub is not plug and play, but after a while I got it right.

Thx Ron :D
You also think D&D is the way to go, provided that you love your LS50 passive?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Thx Ron :D
You also think D&D is the way to go, provided that you love your LS50 passive?

Seriously, there are an object of desire. I never heard them and there are no dealers within a huge distance of Houston. Since you live in New York it's possible for you to audition nearly anything. That's what you should do.

I would also consider the KEF R3, a passive bookshelf for $2k per pair.

The one thing that worries me about D&D is it's a complex and highly integrated product with a lot of possibilities for something to go wrong.

You would probably be happy with the LS50 passive speakers.

Try a shorter USB cable for $5.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Buy the 8Cs you will not regret it, they are scintillating and really something of a bargain.
I enjoyed the 50’s here, both passive and active but the D&D are just a different animal altogether,
Keith

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Just a moment ... are we here evaluating the comparison between a pair with a RRP of $2,000 with a pair @ $12,000 ?
Or am I missing something ? ;)

I know I know... that is my fault :p
It is not a fair comparison.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Seriously, there are an object of desire. I never heard them and there are no dealers within a huge distance of Houston. Since you live in New York it's possible for you to audition nearly anything. That's what you should do.

I would also consider the KEF R3, a passive bookshelf for $2k per pair.

The one thing that worries me about D&D is it's a complex and highly integrated product with a lot of possibilities for something to go wrong.

You would probably be happy with the LS50 passive speakers.

Try a shorter USB cable for $5.

That is exactly what I worry about D&D. It is still a small company. If I were to spend that amount of money, I will want to make sure it is a good investment and it will last for a very long time. And yes! they are object of desire. :D

For the LS50 passive setup, what amp and subwoofer you would recommend?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
For the LS50 passive setup, what amp and subwoofer you would recommend?

I am using a Crown XLS 1502 with it's built in high pass filter and a Martin Logan 1000W sub which I bought on sale at Best Buy.

For a recommendation I would get the Active LS50's and run them straight off a computer. It's more attractive than the passive when you don't have an amp, and their bass is better due to built in EQ. They have a sub out connection, but I don't know much about it. One sub which I find interesting is Syzygy. It's wireless and has a built in room equalization system. New Martin Logan 1100X ($1100) also has room EQ and has the potential for more accurate results with an optional calibrated mike.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I am using a Crown XLS 1502 with it's built in high pass filter and a Martin Logan 1000W sub which I bought on sale at Best Buy.

For a recommendation I would get the Active LS50's and run them straight off a computer. It's more attractive than the passive when you don't have an amp, and their bass is better due to built in EQ. They have a sub out connection, but I don't know much about it. One sub which I find interesting is Syzygy. It's wireless and has a built in room equalization system. New Martin Logan 1100X ($1100) also has room EQ and has the potential for more accurate results with an optional calibrated mike.

Thanks a lot. It makes a lot of sense! :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I managed to get the low frequencies flat without EQ, but it took a lot of tinkering, moving the sub around. Syzygy says with their EQ system the sub can be placed anywhere, but really I believe it's best to put the sub where there are no serious room problems and fine tune from there.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I managed to get the low frequencies flat without EQ, but it took a lot of tinkering, moving the sub around. Syzygy says with their EQ system the sub can be placed anywhere, but really I believe it's best to put the sub where there are no serious room problems and fine tune from there.

Subwoofer is a generic term ... you have here two categories : traditional subwoofers and true sub-bass systems.
Set-up and positioning differs from one category to the other.
I have always chosen the sub-bass systems as they are designed to augment the performance of "full range" speaker systems, to get linear response down to below 12 Hz.
Low bass pressurization below 30 Hz is best derived from corner placement, where the most linear and efficient low bass can be generated.
I have always placed the sub-bass system in one of the corners behind the main speakers.
This position provides 9 dB of acoustic amplification and allows for the most linear true low bass wave generation.
Then, I went from there for the set-up process of phase orientation, orientation of the woofer relative to the walls and how far from the corner, crossover, gain setting and so on ...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Subwoofer is a generic term ... you have here two categories : traditional subwoofers and true sub-bass systems.
Set-up and positioning differs from one category to the other.
I have always chosen the sub-bass systems as they are designed to augment the performance of "full range" speaker systems, to get linear response down to below 12 Hz.

The LS50 is not a full range system and I suspect the sub bass systems you are referring to are on the pricey side. As for 12 hz, I bet the choppers in "Apocalypse Now" must feel like they are landing on your roof. I really like the way adding a sub to my LS50's turned out. However, I suspect it is a hit and miss proposition. Some will never get it right. Perhas these newer subs with built in equalization will have a higher success rate.

My sub is located in what could be described as a false corner. facing away from the listening position. About 2' of wall is behind the unit and on the right is a wall unit.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor

I also just came across this review video on youtube, which also echoes with your view on LS50 / LS50 wireless.

It seems that LS50 wireless would be a very decent choice.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Not really, for my last purchase in 2016, I paid my pair $500 each unit (10" drive) so $1,000 for the pair, from REL Acoustics, UK ...

Current US prices of Rel are a higher, but not crazy high. As I said earlier, the problem here is matching a sub to a stand mount which is not even close full range.

Erik

8030A-LS50.png

noobie1

Have you looked at Vanatoo speakers? I own the Transparent Zero's and I'm really happy with them. They are my holdover speakers until I move into a bigger home. These are so small I can take them on vacations with me. Perfect for small to medium size rooms. They are releasing Transparent One Encore in January which is an update of their Transparent Ones. Those should sound louder and even better than the Zero's.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Have you looked at Vanatoo speakers? I own the Transparent Zero's and I'm really happy with them. They are my holdover speakers until I move into a bigger home. These are so small I can take them on vacations with me. Perfect for small to medium size rooms. They are releasing Transparent One Encore in January which is an update of their Transparent Ones. Those should sound louder and even better than the Zero's.

Thanks! I don't know much about it. Let me check it out :)

Top Bottom