• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would like to see some ‘before and after’ measurements if you have any.
Keith

D

Deleted member 51584

I would like to see some ‘before and after’ measurements if you have any.
Keith
Not really necessary when you can switch back and forth at the press of a button. And you can make it a blind test by pressing the button randomly so you don't know if it's on or off and then deciding which you prefer. You then have to get up and look at the extremely small display, invisible from my seating position, and see whether SAM is active or not. The improvement in bass extension is quite apparent.

I have measuring equipment but it wouldn't prove anything that I could not hear.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes, I would still like to see the actual measurements.
Keith

meracus

Andre how nice to see you here, we can cure you of that terrible affliction!
Very Best,
Keith
We could well run some measurements … the debunk the fib or bolster the truth … at least as far as any graph improvement towards the right direction …. 28 they say … definitely nice bass to these ears … enough not to think about a subwoofer , but maybe it’s just 80 clean
Yes, I would still like to see the actual measurements.
Keith
A 120 and a ls50 available anytime

D

Deleted member 51584

We could well run some measurements … the debunk the fib or bolster the truth … at least as far as any graph improvement towards the right direction …. 28 they say … definitely nice bass to these ears … enough not to think about a subwoofer , but maybe it’s just 80 clean

A 120 and a ls50 available anytime
SAM eliminated the need for a subwoofer. It tried another subwoofer after about 5 years, but went back to using SAM.

The effectiveness of SAM will depend of the bass accuracy of the speakers, but I suspect with smaller speakers like LS50, SAM would be quite helpful.

I'm rather sad I missed out on LS50. I had Harbeth P3ESR in my office for years, I now use a built-in wireless system.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be reasonable to expect it can achieve similar results to the LS50 Wireless II, which has a bass boost on-board. There's nothing magic here, but it is hard to do in a straightforward-for-end-users way with outboard processing, so it's interesting to hear of a workable attempt being available.

The LS50 Wireless II specs say the -6dB bass extension is 40Hz, compared to 47Hz for the passive version. (No level quoted, but in my experience active-bass-extending KEF things start to bass limit above around 85dB).

meracus

It would be reasonable to expect it can achieve similar results to the LS50 Wireless II, which has a bass boost on-board. There's nothing magic here, but it is hard to do in a straightforward-for-end-users way with outboard processing, so it's interesting to hear of a workable attempt being available.

The LS50 Wireless II specs say the -6dB bass extension is 40Hz, compared to 47Hz for the passive version. (No level quoted, but in my experience active-bass-extending KEF things start to bass limit above around 85dB).
The ls50 on Sam at very respectable spl ( for night listening that is ) yielded superb bass
I use them for nearfield listening around 2 meters away , no boominess or lingering one note …
Punchy and clean .. so much so that I see no need to use the resident svs 2000 cylinder sub …
I would invite anybody with the necessary gear to come and test for themselves
I wasn’t able to load rew on my Mac , keep getting an error message so didn’t follow thru
The aim is to use even beefier amps the the 120 ( hattor integrated ) and see what one could achieve
With self generated eq …. The grand idea was to Faff around with a spatial m3 open baffle and taste the benefit of twin 15” one of which is a coax /compression driver concentric
But alas Keith has gone vegan it seems !
And the even grander idea is to test the water with a magico m6 / soulution monoblocs / roon …. But Keith remained vegan

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Andre it is so simple to do it yourself :-
1, Buy MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone
2, Download REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
3, Connect laptop to system,
4, Press ‘Measure’ on software.
That’s it.
Keith

D

Deleted member 51584

Andre it is so simple to do it yourself :-
1, Buy MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone
2, Download REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
3, Connect laptop to system,
4, Press ‘Measure’ on software.
That’s it.
Keith
I have a UMIK and REW and use it for set-up, but never had the need to use it to measure the effect of SAM.

Demanding measurements of SAM is a bit like someone getting punched in the face and the police demanding to know the terminal velocity of the puncher’s fist. For the person who’s been punched, it’s a somewhat redundant detail.

P.s. Getting meaningful information from REW is not as simple as you describe. The bit that is easy is using AirPlay or Devialet AIR to send the signal to Devialet.

meracus

I have a UMIK and REW and use it for set-up, but never had the need to use it to measure the effect of SAM.

Demanding measurements of SAM is a bit like someone getting punched in the face and the police demanding to know the terminal velocity of the puncher’s fist. For the person who’s been punched, it’s a somewhat redundant detail.

P.s. Getting meaningful information from REW is not as simple as you describe. The bit that is easy is using AirPlay or Devialet AIR to send the signal to Devialet.
I think what Keith meant it’s pretty straightforward to use the program which should be … but I reckon I have a problem somewhere
Now … with no Sam the speaker sound rather thin
With Sam engaged the bass is fuller ..
isn’t that something we could see on the graph ? Maybe real time analysis on some bass tracks ?
I can only notice Sam effectiveness in the bass , the rest is pretty much great … no complain there and could easily live with an ls50 if I wasn’t mad enough to buy a pair of speakers every year ( I like to think of myself as a collector )
The reason why I want to use rew on ls50/Sam … is to see what is done at the bass level so I can move the devialet to other duties and replicate with a newer a cleaner amp ( hypex 500 )
It’s strictly curiosity …… ls50/Sam is all one can need at low level in my case

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Uh huh, a lot is written, I would just like to see some actual measurements.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think what Keith meant it’s pretty straightforward to use the program which should be … but I reckon I have a problem somewhere
Now … with no Sam the speaker sound rather thin
With Sam engaged the bass is fuller ..
isn’t that something we could see on the graph ? Maybe real time analysis on some bass tracks ?
I can only notice Sam effectiveness in the bass , the rest is pretty much great … no complain there and could easily live with an ls50 if I wasn’t mad enough to buy a pair of speakers every year ( I like to think of myself as a collector )
The reason why I want to use rew on ls50/Sam … is to see what is done at the bass level so I can move the devialet to other duties and replicate with a newer a cleaner amp ( hypex 500 )
It’s strictly curiosity …… ls50/Sam is all one can need at low level in my case
If there is an audible change in the sound that will be evident in the before and after measurements.
The DVLA measures pretty well I don’t believe a NCore based amp would alter the sound.
Keith

meracus

If there is an audible change in the sound that will be evident in the before and after measurements.
The DVLA measures pretty well I don’t believe a NCore based amp would alter the sound.
Keith
Ah … the 120 is a 120 watts at 6
I have a profile for the spatial and at times ( loud listening ) I wish I had more power ….
The idea is to see what the profile of the spatial looks like … and try to replicate on roon using a hypex
And since we at it … see what the ls50 profile does
It’s all a bit of fun …. Otherwise what’s left … wbt ? Synergistic network switch ? Symposium platform ?
I’m sure with a bit of help I can get the rew working
Anyone up for it ?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What’s left, really full range loudspeakers which are adaptable to the room?
Keith

D

Deleted member 51584

What’s left, really full range loudspeakers which are adaptable to the room?
Keith
SAM is correcting the bass response of the speaker using equalisation based on the measured response. I have full range speakers. They don’t need adapting to the room, which was purpose-built for audio and those speakers in particular, and because Devialet Expert has separate room correction software called Sweet Room. It requires UMIX/REW and then you set the equalisation yourself. I used it in my old room, not in my new room.

You’re a hifi dealer, surely you know people in the trade who will lend you one and you can test it yourself, as you see fit.

D

Deleted member 51584

Uh huh, a lot is written, I would just like to see some actual measurements.
Keith
In this video they show Darko how they measure a speaker, correct it and extend its frequency response by 40hz. See from 17:30. They explain they measure to 1000hz but only profile to 150hz. The measurements are done with lasers, so a lot more accurate than microphones.
youtube]p9Ox3uQyTh8

Last edited by a moderator:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
40Hz wow just wow!
A purpose built room is ideal, do you have measurements of your Wilson’s ( traditional passive design) in your room?
Keith

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this video they show Darko how they measure a speaker, correct it and extend its frequency response by 40hz. See from 17:30. They explain they measure to 1000hz but only profile to 150hz. The measurements are done with lasers, so a lot more accurate than microphones.
youtube]p9Ox3uQyTh8
The LS50 at 40Hz? I think the LS50 is a phenomenal speaker, but no way is their strength the delivery of a distortion free 40Hz at SPLs over -say- 80dB. They are much better if paired with a sub that offloads some of the sub-80Hz off them. It's the way I continue to use mine, and I am not in any way someone who enjoys very loud music - but while the LS50 sound imo awesome out of the box, they get even better when you pair them with a sub (some say 2).

As to Darko, to me at least he doesn't come across as one of the most credible "audio experts" anyhow.

D

Deleted member 51584

The LS50 at 40Hz? I think the LS50 is a phenomenal speaker, but no way is their strength the delivery of a distortion free 40Hz at SPLs over -say- 80dB. They are much better if paired with a sub that offloads some of the sub-80Hz off them. It's the way I continue to use mine, and I am not in any way someone who enjoys very loud music - but while the LS50 sound imo awesome out of the box, they get even better when you pair them with a sub (some say 2).

As to Darko, to me at least he doesn't come across as one of the most credible "audio experts" anyhow.
It wasn't the LS50. SAM is very effective. I think Infinity had an active speaker correction system years go.

I like Darko, although I hardy ever look at his site. His content is extremely professionally produced, compares products well and seems to give very well rounded advice without any particular bias.

Top Bottom