• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Bookshelf Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the nearfield you are closer to the radiators, and so they are proportionally louder compared to the reverberant field. Direct sound is proportionally more important in this case. As the nearfield comes closer you are effectively wearing headphones, where the reflected sounds of course don't make much of a difference.

This is all academic of course, a speaker should have a smooth direct sound at the very least.

I wonder what the spinorama is like on these guys :p

akg_k1000_05.jpg

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand what you mean.

Isn't a spinorama with these just putting them on and spinning around in a chair? The result doesn't change; just the view. :p

True but I wonder how my poofy hair will affect the early reflections curve, not sure hairdos are covered in CTA-2034A. Will check CTA-2035 next month

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
True but I wonder how my poofy hair will affect the early reflections curve, not sure hairdos are covered in CTA-2034A. Will check CTA-2035 next month

Just measure from your specified reference plane. All will be good.

stren

Forum Donor
Thanks for this. Can't wait to see more results on bookshelf speakers. Particularly interested in whether the R3 fixes all these issues - but then at the R3 price point there is a lot of competition including the much lauded special 40 and reddit's love - the philharmonic bmr.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
FYI and this is a serious note: I tested the LS50 twice. One without accuracy with respect to acoustic center, etc. and one with. I actually realigned the system again. It made no difference in measurements other than the polar plot at the end.

Thanks for testing this (and for the review!) - I would think that's not too surprising a result for a coaxial speaker though, due to its symmetry. It would be great if you could do the same test with a non-coaxial speaker, as differing mic placement may have more of an affect on the measurement results due to the speaker's vertical design asymmetry.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yep. You are correct. I stand corrected. Now I am curious as to why it doesn't show HD at frequencies below ~50 Hz.
That's because of the sweep size. If I lengthen that, it will go down to 20 Hz but then makes the NFS scan take twice as long. I can make separate measurements for just this but have to remember to set it up this way.

Reactions: NTK
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for testing this (and for the review!) - I would think that's not too surprising a result for a coaxial speaker though, due to its symmetry. It would be great if you could do the same test with a non-coaxial speaker, as differing mic placement may have more of an affect on the measurement results due to the speaker's vertical design asymmetry.
I did that for the JBL 305P a while back and difference was minimal there as well.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I'm in the same place as the rest that seem to enjoy these. Use with a sub in a near field listening space, plenty ample amplification...mild eq to taste...very satisfying.

I prefer the 705p's, which I got on sale for the same $1000 I paid for the LS50's, but in their fairly small wheelhouse the Kef's are quite decent.

A 5" woofer has a lot of physics to battle....gotta manage the expectations.

You mean $1,000 for the pair of 705P, right? Where was that? Black Friday?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You mean $1,000 for the pair of 705P, right? Where was that? Black Friday?

I can't remember...they were $500 each, and the 708p's were $1000. Maybe...5 months ago? Was in the 'deals' thread...i think @beefkabob picked some up too. Was through the Harmon web site...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

cleareyes

Kind of new here:
So what is the conclusion? Are the LS50 not worth the price? A local store has them on sale for 850 USD, down from 1300 usd.
What would some good alternatives be?
I was looking for a setup for a small livingroom, 4.00m x 4.40m, in an apartment. I was thinking of getting a pair of hypex nc400 and I've been told I'd need a preamp as well. I was also planning on getting a sub later on.
Would this be a nice setup or should I look for something else? I see you guys mentioning DSP, is that something I need to add as well?
I literally have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just used to listening via headphones and iems. I barely heard a difference with my HD6xx after getting the geshelli amp. I hear no difference after adding a dac(topping d10) compared to just running an rca cable from the laptop to the headphone amp.

goldark

Forum Donor
Kind of new here:
So what is the conclusion? Are the LS50 not worth the price? A local store has them on sale for 850 USD, down from 1300 usd.
What would some good alternatives be?
I was looking for a setup for a small livingroom, 4.00m x 4.40m, in an apartment. I was thinking of getting a pair of hypex nc400 and I've been told I'd need a preamp as well. I was also planning on getting a sub later on.
Would this be a nice setup or should I look for something else? I see you guys mentioning DSP, is that something I need to add as well?
I literally have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just used to listening via headphones and iems.

If neutrality is the goal, in that price range I would look at the Revel M105 or Sierra line from Ascend Acoustics, who publish extensive measurements.

cleareyes

If neutrality is the goal, in that price range I would look at the Revel M105 or Sierra line from Ascend Acoustics, who publish extensive measurements.
I'm not finding those products here in Norway.
Forgot to add, I want to use the setup mostly for classical music. I'm becoming a father in roughly 2 months, and want to share the joy
of music with my daughter, so I figured I should get some decent speakers.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Would these be too small for a listening distance of 3.5m? Since they are studio monitors, would they also be a bit boring for listening?

I'd say that's a bit far, unless you really don't turn it up much... For me, more than maybe 6' doesn't work very well.

Top Bottom