• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

tomtoo

Major Contributor

KEW

Forum Donor
I think much of the horror in the 1K area comes from how flat the rest is. If you compare that to anything from Klipsch (OK many others too)... or view it with the amount of smoothing many manufacturers employ in their marketing... it's comparatively razor-flat.

On the other hand, the fact that they didn't just embrace a much higher price point than the JBL 306's and use amplification which eliminates the hum is a real disappointment. I'm sure there's some unit-specific variance (supposedly some people get noise-free JBLs too) but after trying dozens myself - that's harder than hitting the lottery. If Adam can do it with the TV7's at only $100 more, I'm less inclined to accept it in other brands.

To be fair however... "only $100 more" is actually a 66% increase in MSRP in this case! So I agree - for the price not worth complaining about either.
Would be nice if they offered it both ways and let the buyer decide ... or a "limited edition" option to see how it sells!

F1308

Major Contributor
The cheaper the better !!!!

PD: but remember the 100$ barrier....

F1308

Major Contributor
Eight ways seen for speaker placement !!!!
And the corresponding setting instructions !!!!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Friend of mine is very unhappy with the Kali. He says transients are very bad. And from that comes stereowide is also not natural.
I have to admit, iam sceptical...
I would be realy interested about other opinions?

I have to admit I am skeptical. Transients are fine.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I have to admit I am skeptical. Transients are fine.

You have to see i dont know. For me its more interesting how to interpred the measurements? I never listend to the Kalis. And also not to the Cantons.
So for me its more can i learn??
Fact is he dont like the Kalis. Thats ok, but ther are measurements that show the Kalis are slower in there Einschwingverhalten( sry dont know english translation). I dont know how measurements and hearing korrelate? You have to see iam interested and like to learn.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Eight ways seen for speaker placement !!!!
And the corresponding setting instructions !!!!
That is interesting, I wonder how accurate the recommendations are to good/best results.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
You have to see i dont know. For me its more interesting how to interpred the measurements? I never listend to the Kalis. And also not to the Cantons.
So for me its more can i learn??
Fact is he dont like the Kalis. Thats ok, but ther are measurements that show the Kalis are slower in there Einschwingverhalten( sry dont know english translation). I dont know how measurements and hearing korrelate? You have to see iam interested and like to learn.

I've yet to read any other reviewer comment on "very bad transients". I presume the JBL 305/6/8 must have very bad transients as well?. Seems a measurement rabbit hole to me.

Reactions: PSO

THEV

Pros and cons of t5v vs the kali? Tnks
At the time I used the smsl su-8 v2 and I had problems with crackling sounds on the high-end with the Kalis, I tested 2 different pairs with no difference. Currently using the T5Vs with the RME ADI 2 Dac and very happy, however, I never experienced the Kalis as I should have but the hiss was not suitable for desktop use in my case.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I've yet to read any other reviewer comment on "very bad transients". I presume the JBL 305/6/8 must have very bad transients as well?. Seems a measurement rabbit hole to me.

Like i sayed, i dont know. More interesting would be coments on measurements.
Maybe whats wrong or not?

Edit says: Someone(a friend) dont likes this speakers. And he bought them. And he underlais his critics with measurements.

So i would be happy a disussion starts. Thats science, we not talk about voodoo.

So maybe i learn? Thats all, science is all about knowledge. And knowledge is all about learning.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

Edit says: Someone(a friend) dont likes this speakers. And he bought them. And he underlais his critics with measurements.

So i would be happy a disussion starts. Thats science, we not talk about voodoo.

So maybe i learn? Thats all, science is all about knowledge. And knowledge is all about learning.

Your friend created another thread for that discussion which is where it belongs.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Your friend created another thread for that discussion which is where it belongs.

Dont think so, i think its very importend to talk about. To be honest i was happy that the lp6 was measured today. We talk about the lp6 so i not see which thread should be better. You?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Dont think so, i think its very importend to talk about. To be honest i was happy that the lp6 was measured today. We talk about the lp6 so i not see which thread should be better. You?

People who think there may be a very bad transients and stereo image problem with the LP6 have a thread dedicated to that exploration. You linked to it. No further comment from me..

tomtoo

Major Contributor
People who think there may be a very bad transients and stereo image problem with the LP6 have a thread dedicated to that exploration. You linked to it. No further comment from me..

Dont you think its importend to understand?
Or to be provokative, is your knowledge at the end?

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was some talk lately about paper cone driver, as a coincidence, this being one of the rather unusual features about this speaker (poly coated paper woofer / short of "polymer"). This is not so common with current monitors. Maybe someone can explain, if it plays some role (personally I guess there are other more important factors). Other brands feature woofers like
- kevlar (most common) / JBL doesn't state that implicitly, but most probably LSR use them too
- carbon fiber
- fiberglass composite
- polypropylene
- aluminum (quite rare as well, for example Alesis M1 Active MKIII)

Some other example with paper driver is Fluid Audio FX80.

EDIT: and as a coincidence #2 Alesis praises its alu drivers by impact on "transients":
The M1 Active MK3 studio monitor utilizes a beautiful new 5-inch aluminum woofer that is lighter and stiffer than typical carbon-fiber, paper or glass-Aramid woofers, giving the MK3 an even faster transient attack and more linear response through the bass and midrange.

Last edited:

Ericglo

I think much of the horror in the 1K area comes from how flat the rest is. If you compare that to anything from Klipsch (OK many others too)... or view it with the amount of smoothing many manufacturers employ in their marketing... it's comparatively razor-flat.

On the other hand, the fact that they didn't just embrace a much higher price point than the JBL 306's and use amplification which eliminates the hum is a real disappointment. I'm sure there's some unit-specific variance (supposedly some people get noise-free JBLs too) but after trying dozens myself - that's harder than hitting the lottery. If Adam can do it with the TV7's at only $100 more, I'm less inclined to accept it in other brands.

To be fair however... "only $100 more" is actually a 66% increase in MSRP in this case! So I agree - for the price not worth complaining about either.

Would be nice if they offered it both ways and let the buyer decide ... or a "limited edition" option to see how it sells!

I have no idea what their costs are on electronics and drivers, but I would like to see a mid-range offering. Something with the SB ceramic drivers would be nice. That would be probably take care of the distortion.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
There was some talk lately about paper cone driver, as a coincidence, that is one not so common feature about this speaker (poly coated paper woofer / short of "polymer"). This is not so common with current monitors. Maybe someone can explain, if it plays some role (personally I guess there are other more important factors). Other brands feature woofers like
- kevlar (most common) / or carbon fiber (same?).. / JBL does't state that impicitly, but most probably LSR use them too
- fiberglass composite
- polypropylene
- aluminum (quite rare as well, for example Alesis M1 Active MKIII)

Some other example with paper driver is Fluid Audio FX80.

There are measurements. And i dont know how i can interprede them? I know my friend listens. If the Interpretations of the measurements are right i dont know?

Top Bottom