• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trade-in Focal Alpha 65 Evo for HEDD Type 05 or Genelec 1030A?

weswes

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

I have a pair of Focal Alpha 65 Evo with the Focal Sub One. I'm generally pleased with the combination but I've always felt like there was something lacking in the monitors, mainly the mid's feeling somewhat recessed and not as forward as other monitors I've listened to. The highs are at times too harsh for me as well. For example the iLoud MTM's. I think these sound amazing and smooth, but they're a bit too small to be played at a louder volume constantly, the indicator on the front blinks red relatively quick, even when connected to my sub (next to producing I also DJ at home sometimes).

I've got several offers for a trade-in with monitors I've been interested in for some time now. I'm talking about the Genelec 1030A and HEDD Type 05. I've read a lot of good experiences about these.
I will keep the sub so a downgrade in monitor size wouldn't bother me, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with these monitors and if they could offer me what I'm looking for, which is mainly a more mid-forward sound.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Try EQing your Focals, that helps them perform better, anechoic based on measurements (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-alpha-65-evo-review-studio-monitor.28832/) and of course room correction below Schröder.

The Genelec 1030A are massive ... and 20 years old - should you decide to get them, don't pay too much.
The first gen Type 05 are fine but nothing to write home about, probably no improvement.

Top Bottom