• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio vs. Genelec for Home Studio?

Longshan

Hallo! I'm trying to decide on a monitor+subwoofer package for my home studio (used for music-making, mixing, etc.).

Which would you choose (they're essentially the same price):

1. Kali IN-8 + WS-12

or

2. Genelec 8030C+7040A

?

Thank you!

3125b

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Dathzo

Hello,

The Genelec are fantastic speakers, they measure extremely well and you will not be disappointed. I own the 8030C since years and I’m happy with them.

Not that it matters much, but yesterday, together with two friends, we did a blind hearing session between the Genelecs 8030 and the KEF LS50 Wireless II. The Genelec were preferred by the 3 of us, which was surprising (the KEFs also measure extremely well and are a 2500EUR system). Again, pretty subjective, but thought I would share :).

OP
Longshan

Longshan

I mean ... do you have neighbours and if so, do they have ears?
The two systems may be the same price, but they are very different in aim.
What is your room situation like?
The 7040 seems to small and weak a sub for the 5" 8030 in any case.

Here is a size comparison between the IN-8 and the 8030C: https://www.matheretter.de/geoservant/de?draw=quader(0|-3|0 2.85|2.54|4.41)+text(0|-1.45|-3.35 "Kali IN-8"`1.5`) [90|0|0]+quader(0|0|0 1.78|1.89|2.99) 8030C+text(0|1.2|-5.35 "Genelec 8030C"`1.5`) [90|0|0]&axesoff&cp=8

Thanks for your replying. Neighbours aren't really an issue. My room is fairly small, but will be well-treated. I am aware of the physical dimensions. Aside from the Genelec having smaller woofers than the IN-8s of course, they are typically smaller anyway.

OP
Longshan

Longshan

Hello,

The Genelec are fantastic speakers, they measure extremely well and you will not be disappointed. I own the 8030C since years and I’m happy with them.

Not that it matters much, but yesterday, together with two friends, we did a blind hearing session between the Genelecs 8030 and the KEF LS50 Wireless II. The Genelec were preferred by the 3 of us, which was surprising (the KEFs also measure extremely well and are a 2500EUR system). Again, pretty subjective, but thought I would share :).

Thanks for the reply. I am a fan of Genelec for sure, but I am impressed with Kali's value for money, and the thought of 3-ways is very tempting.

OP
Longshan

Longshan

I'd get a pair of 8030c and use them for a while to make sure I need a sub. Then, if a sub is needed, save up to buy a decent sub (maybe the WS-12, NOT the 7040A).

Thank you for your input.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a big Genelec fan, as you can tell by my signature, and even I don't see any point to the non-SAM Genelec subwoofers(7040A/7050C). They are more expensive than much more powerful subs from good manufacturers and don't offer the automatic GLM integration that makes Genelec subs arguably worth the price(sometimes).

OP
Longshan

Longshan

I am a big Genelec fan, as you can tell by my signature, and even I don't see any point to the non-SAM Genelec subwoofers(7040A/7050C). They are more expensive than much more powerful subs from good manufacturers and don't offer the automatic GLM integration that makes Genelec subs arguably worth the price(sometimes).

That's a good point. Thanks for the information.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Genelec look more neutral to me, so I guess they should be better for a home studio. I don't recommend their analogue subs, though, they're way too expensive without having the GLM advantages: I suggest you look at the JBL LSR310S or Dynaudio 9S.
But if you're not going to do room correction by yourself, the 8330A with maybe the sub at a later date should be much better. Or the Neumann KH120A + KH750DSP.

Last edited:
OP
Longshan

Longshan

The Genelec look more neutral to me, so I guess they should be better for a home studio. I don't recommend their analogue subs, though, they're way to expensive without having the GLM advantages: I suggest you look at the JBL LSR310S or Dynaudio 9S.
But if you're not going to do room correction by yourself, the 8330A with maybe the sub at a later date should be much better. Or the Neumann KH120A + KH750DSP.

Thank you.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hello,

Was the comparison done with a sub?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My room is fairly small, but will be well-treated.
Please define "fairly small".

Note that the Kalis are kind of hissy and as such not the kind of thing you want to be using at short distances... they're more something for ~2.5 m or thereabouts. At <1.5 m, I'd say Genelec all the way.

Don't underestimate these 5" class drivers... I tried to make my K+H O110s distort audibly with IMD test tones once... well, turns out my ears were distorting first. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, I've always been a quiet listener.)

Dathzo

Was the comparison done with a sub?
It was not, only the speakers in both cases.
Again, it was a fun, and more importantly, subjective exercise:

1. Both sets of speakers placing their tweeter at ear level
2. Same dB output measured by a decibel meter from the listening spot
3. Blind hearing. Subjects were offered to compare A vs B, changing which was A and B along the way

OP
Longshan

Longshan

Please define "fairly small".

Note that the Kalis are kind of hissy and as such not the kind of thing you want to be using at short distances... they're more something for ~2.5 m or thereabouts. At <1.5 m, I'd say Genelec all the way.

Don't underestimate these 5" class drivers... I tried to make my K+H O110s distort audibly with IMD test tones once... well, turns out my ears were distorting first. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, I've always been a quiet listener.)

15' x 12' x 10'

I'm aware of the hiss.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to be contrarian :) I did a level matched comparison between IN8s, JBL 305s and some ancient (but recently refreshed) JBL Prima's.

I was expecting the 305s/IN8s to be close, but....not - the IN8s were just deeper, and had wider off axis imaging, and quite noticeably.
(No idea about the Genelecs, but...5" vs 8", for what it's worth.)
Even more surprising is that the Prima's gave em both a run for the money - 10" woofer helped, but also much wider imaging than either (no doubt near field vs. Not.)
(The purpose was to chose a TV only speaker - ended up going with the Primas; at least they are interesting and colorful to look at, and commercials aren't quite as annoying on them:)

Yes, the IN8s do hiss at close range. At ranges beyond a couple of feet I can't hear it though. YMMV.
Also, as coincident 3 ways, the IN8s can be placed vertically or horizontally.
The IN8s ARE (relatively) big, and also heavier than you might think.

My desk is too small for the IN8s, otherwise I'd for sure use them there (w D50), so the 305s still live there, and are Fine for that purpose.

Lots and lots of great choices in those size ranges - best wishes!!

PS. I happen to like Marmite w/rice & shrooms, etc; stores don't carry it down here anymore, so ordered a jar from 'zon - the darn thing was Huge....a Lifetime supply!!:p

YSC

Major Contributor
The 7040a I do see the potential attraction.
Firstly it’s really small, so compact you can put them under the desk for very nearfield usage without taking away your foot space. Secondly they have the high pass filter and same sensitivity settings as the 80x0 lineup, so if for really small rooms and very nearfield listening the have more freedom of placement than any subs out there is possible

OP
Longshan

Longshan

Just to be contrarian :) I did a level matched comparison between IN8s, JBL 305s and some ancient (but recently refreshed) JBL Prima's.

I was expecting the 305s/IN8s to be close, but....not - the IN8s were just deeper, and had wider off axis imaging, and quite noticeably.
(No idea about the Genelecs, but...5" vs 8", for what it's worth.)
Even more surprising is that the Prima's gave em both a run for the money - 10" woofer helped, but also much wider imaging than either (no doubt near field vs. Not.)
(The purpose was to chose a TV only speaker - ended up going with the Primas; at least they are interesting and colorful to look at, and commercials aren't quite as annoying on them:)

Yes, the IN8s do hiss at close range. At ranges beyond a couple of feet I can't hear it though. YMMV.
Also, as coincident 3 ways, the IN8s can be placed vertically or horizontally.
The IN8s ARE (relatively) big, and also heavier than you might think.

My desk is too small for the IN8s, otherwise I'd for sure use them there (w D50), so the 305s still live there, and are Fine for that purpose.

Lots and lots of great choices in those size ranges - best wishes!!

PS. I happen to like Marmite w/rice & shrooms, etc; stores don't carry it down here anymore, so ordered a jar from 'zon - the darn thing was Huge....a Lifetime supply!!:p

Thanks for the perspective. The good thing is that I have a lot of space for speakers. I'm not familiar with the Primas, but I'd be using the speakers for mixing and mastering.

Watch that Marmite. . . it's dangerous!

Top Bottom