• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, as long as you like it no need to change it! :)

Think @thewas_ EQ job on LW curve looks be a realistic good job or :cool: fix thanks, in blown up Spinorama below stole :oops: his suggested LW EQ a page back transfered it to ASR anechoic spin data, into plot there is a set of -12,5dB offset curves of before EQ and remember above 10kHz is bit less hot in Klippel mic calibration curve is not acticvated.

Thewas_LW_EQ_1.gif

Thewas_LW_EQ.png

QMuse

Major Contributor
Think @thewas_ EQ job on LW curve looks be a realistic good job or :cool:

Indeed he did. Although his target curve that falls sharply at 150Hz seems a bit unusual to me hence I proposed a curve which contains some more energy in upper bass region (link).

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Agree your suggestion over bit broader spectre than the error in that region can sometimes do wonder say in small steps of +0,1dB at a time until bingo and approved in all varius genres of track material will benefit.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing you can try, is moving the speakers closer to the front wall (assuming that's the reflection causing it) to drive the cancellation higher in frequency. Then use absorption behind the speakers to reduce it (it's easier to absorb higher frequencies).
Of course I have them already as close as possible to the front wall (cannot even closer them more as there is a radiator) and absorption in this case is unfortunately also not possible as its a huge window with a lovely view in the nature I don't want to miss.
I my old house I could place them directly on the front wall and used several m² of 10cm thick Basotect absorber though. :)

ferongr

Forum Donor
So, taking in account the new measurements, for the price, in a nearfield listening environment would the Kalis be recommended? Any other options that Amir has measured? Since I have an AS-501 available I could also do passives is the jump in performance is substantial (though active speakers save me some much-needed space).

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Glad to know man. I had high hopes from Kali. Can't wait for the LP6 review (Non broken hopefully :))

musictracer

Ok I guess I have some bad news guys, on which I'd like to have your opinion...

Yesterday Kaliaudio presented a new German review on the IN-8's in their FB page: . There was a guy that commented there, saying that the comments underneath the review got him frustrated because people were claiming that Kali sends different - better performing - samples for testing to the reviewers, than the original versions intended for consumers. At first I thought it would just be haters but there was a reference to the "In The Mix" youtube channel that counts over half a million subscribers! It is run by a guy named Micheal who had made a raving review about the lp-6's . And guess what, he has deleted the video!!!

On top of that this guy commenting in the FB page upoaded screenshots of comments of another "In The Mix" video where people were asking him about the deleted lp-6 video and he admitted that his pair started developing issues as well as that he compared his pair to other ones he happened to hear - probably after complaints of their owners - and they were indeed lower level sounding quality wise. He also stated that he had a few more issues with the company and that all that led him to not want to support them anymore, thus leading him to delete the video.

What is even more frustrating is that despite FB shows there are 8 comments on that post, I can only see one, even when "All comments" is selected. Are you experiencing the same, guys? Could it be that Kali is blocking unwanted comments ? Also this guy was refering to Amir's review as well, noting that the review turned from bad to good as soon as Kali themselves sent directly the new testing speaker, rather than sending it from a retail store...

I don't know what to say, this is really bad for me because If there is one thing I liked about "In The Mix" was that this guy Micheal was sincere and humble in his videos. (It is not by chance that he got so many subscribers.) But I believed the same thing about Kaliaudio as well. Let's just hope this is all a misunderstanding that will clear up soon.

(I will try to find and screenshoot Michael's comments myself because I think it was from another speaker review, since he was holding a speaker in his hands in the screenshot if I remember well.)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also this guy was refering to Amir's review as well, noting that the review turned from bad to good as soon as Kali themselves sent directly the new testing speaker, rather than sending it from a retail store...

I don't know anything about the rest but Kali did not send a replacement unit to Amir - Amir bought one himself, as it says in the OP. Kali did independently track down the broken unit to assess the problem.

edechamps

Forum Donor
Also this guy was refering to Amir's review as well, noting that the review turned from bad to good as soon as Kali themselves sent directly the new testing speaker, rather than sending it from a retail store...

@amirm never tested a speaker sent directly by Kali. The "good" speaker that he measured he has bought himself on Amazon.

Could it be that Kali is blocking unwanted comments ?

Given that @KaliAudio_Official commented directly in this thread to discuss the issues and one of their key engineers, @Charles Sprinkle, even apologized publicly for the broken sample, I find that hard to believe. They've proven to be one of the most transparent companies so far.

Last edited:

SDX-LV

Everything is great, but the hiss issue is actually a deal-breaker for me. :( I love everything, but I don't like audible noise from the speakers at idle. Perhaps there will be a 2nd revision with quieter electronics. Neumann KH80 and Genelec can make speakers without hiss with class-D amps, so there is no reason to accept this.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Everything is great, but the hiss issue is actually a deal-breaker for me. :( I love everything, but I don't like audible noise from the speakers at idle. Perhaps there will be a 2nd revision with quieter electronics. Neumann KH80 and Genelec can make speakers without hiss with class-D amps, so there is no reason to accept this.

Which Neumann are +$200 each more expensive. Having had considerable experience with the JBL LSR and prior Kali models with comparable electronics, the designers have apparently determined the cost to sales with quieter electronics but higher price would outweigh the gains in market penetration.

musictracer

Ok, thanks for your answers. I found the comment the FB comment was referring to, its this one I guess:

inthemix.jpg

Anyway, we can't be aware of what might have happened between them of course, so...
I didn't recall that Amir had purchased the 2nd testing sample on his own and not from Kali directly. That sounds great! Thanks for noting!
I personally am leaning towards the IN-8's for quite some time now, while the kh120 would be a decent alternative. But I am so biased by the 3way design concept! I just hope that the hiss won't be that bad.

Also another question. What would you suggest for a decent 3 pair monitor controller? I have the control2usb by Behringer but it sounds quite shrink (as expected of course) though it is ok for the budget given the features. But I was looking at the Presonus Monitor Station V2 . Any advise on that would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Rockfella

Forum Donor
There is. Kalis are cheaper... I have a workaround for the hiss problem (which I barely hear any but I just did that anyway because I don't like powering things that are not in use!) by powering them with with dedicated power extension and I simply turn off when I don't use them. It is so simple!

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe for a second that Kali Audio is doing a scam like some are suggesting. It doesn't make sense to run a business model like that with the name and reputation from the guys behind the company on the line.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean, companies can have QC and manufacturing issues without it being 'a scam' or intentional in any way. Manufacturing is tough, especially at Kali's price points. It's unfortunate if they're having quality problems but it doesn't mean they're being deceptive.

SDX-LV

There is. Kalis are cheaper... I have a workaround for the hiss problem (which I barely hear any but I just did that anyway because I don't like powering things that are not in use!) by powering them with with dedicated power extension and I simply turn off when I don't use them. It is so simple!

Sure, I get it. The problem is that to switch to Kali speakers I would need a to buy 3x IN-8 monitors, speaker stands, amp for surround speakers and a new surround processor to drive all of this. If then I find out that hiss bother's me, I will have spent 2000+ USD, be unhappy and have no plan-B, because I don't know of any other powered monitors with similar price-performance to replace Kali's with.

So it is just safer not to start this gamble and stay with my passive speakers or find suitable active speakers that do not hiss in the first place.

Neddy

Not to be a noodge:) and I totally understand your dilemma, but, at greater than 2 ft or so the IN8's hiss is not noticeable at all (to me).
I do like that they shut down after a few minutes with no input signal (also a good way to tell if your actually hearing them hiss).
IF I were (and might be) in your market, I'd be watching for the day when Amir can test one of the newer WISA speakers.

musictracer

Any of you IN-8 owners using them as studio monitors? If yes, how is translation and do you feel there are any problems in the woofer/mid crossover area (around 300hz) where there seems to be a small dip in frequency response? Planning to use them along with my hs5's which is a bit anemic in the low and low mid area, so I would like to know from someone with first hand experience...

Top Bottom