• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The listening window based EQ makes it sound a bit more clearer in the highs and a tad less mid accentuated and the room EQ makes it clearer in the bass and much more fun as my room unfortunately? is quite a bass sink.

QMuse

Major Contributor
As seen several times in this thread, due to their smooth directivity the Kalis can be EQed to even higher perfection, so I experimented a bit with mine in the weekend.

EQing the listening window smoothes thus also the predicted in-room response nicely:

View attachment 53604
(upper curves are LW and PIR without and the graphically offsetted by -10 dB curves are LW and PIR with my EQ).

Using this EQ created a very nice smooth and close to the Harman target moving microphone measured response around my listening position which needs no further EQ above 500 Hz, only below it

View attachment 53605

which is easily performed

View attachment 53606

This looks really good! :)

QMuse

Major Contributor
As seen several times in this thread, due to their smooth directivity the Kalis can be EQed to even higher perfection, so I experimented a bit with mine in the weekend.

EQing the listening window smoothes thus also the predicted in-room response nicely:

View attachment 53604
(upper curves are LW and PIR without and the graphically offsetted by -10 dB curves are LW and PIR with my EQ).

Using this EQ created a very nice smooth and close to the Harman target moving microphone measured response around my listening position which needs no further EQ above 500 Hz, only below it

View attachment 53605

which is easily performed

View attachment 53606

Here is an idea that you may want to try: as there are 2 dips that lower the average bass energy in the 50-200Hz region you may want to try the alternative LF target curve to compensate for that.

kali-audio-in-8-mmm-room-response-with-room-eq.png

In addition you may want to set manual filter point at 50Hz to boost lower bass for 2-3dB.

Btw, is that both speaker's response measured?

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's both speakers, personally I prefer a flatter base tone region though, also don't forget that I have already added some dB in those regions compared to the flat response which already add to the direct sound.
In addition you may want to set manual filter point at 50Hz to boost lower bass for 2-3dB.
I am already boosting it up to 6dB
3.png

don't want or feel the need to take it further to the extreme as also too loud lower bass creates more acoustic problems in my suboptimal room.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes, that's both speakers, personally I prefer a flatter base tone region though, also don't forget that I have already added some dB in those regions compared to the flat response which already add to the direct sound.

Can you please post the same graph with 1/3 smoothing? I think your bass sounds thin because range between 120Hz (start of the dip) up to the 300Hz contains too little energy.

I'm mot sure direct sound as a term makes much sense with freqs below 150Hz. :D

QMuse

Major Contributor

I am already boosting it up to 6dB
View attachment 53648

don't want or feel the need to take it further to the extreme as also too loud lower bass creates more acoustic problems in my suboptimal room.

But target curve I suggested boosts the higher bass (from 100Hz upwards), not lower.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your bass sounds thin
Trust me, it doesn't. ;-)
Here it is with psychoacoustic smoothing, which is only missing a couple of dB in the upper bass which I personally rather like to be flatish and prefer a lower bass boost also like the Harman target:
4.png

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Dips and low response at spot between 100-300Hz is very often consequence of several first reflection nullings - front wall, floor, sidewalls, ceiling, back wall. Boosting nulls doesn't work , and if one tries that, total energy in the room goes up and we hear that as boominess, excessive upper bass. Easy to test that with dsp!

Measurements and easy dsp corrections sometimes lead to false trail! Speaker and listening spot positioning with some room treatment is a bit more difficult, but will make the sound really much better!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Dips and low response at spot between 100-300Hz is very often consequence of several first reflection nullings - front wall, floor, sidewalls, ceiling, back wall. Boosting nulls doesn't work , and if one tries that, total energy in the room goes up and we hear that as boominess, excessive upper bass. Easy to test that with dsp!

In my case it was caused by phase cancellation between speakers caused by different positions speakers are sitting at. When I corrected the phase of both speakers to be almost equal the problem practically dissapeared.

Measurements and easy dsp corrections sometimes lead to false trail! Speaker and listening spot positioning with some room treatment is a bit more difficult, but will make the sound really much better!

Very true, assuming it is an option.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's also my experience till now that's why I only boost them partially and only not very narrow ones.

Also agree there, I have already optimised the placement with many measurements to keep the dips as high in frequency but am very limited in that room, room acoustics are also very important and I plan to improve them in time as I had done in my previous house.

QMuse

Major Contributor
That's also my experience till now that's why I only boost them partially and only not very narrow ones.

Have you checked the phase of your speakers? Can you post the phase overlay graph measured at LP?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Phase at spot is not a really good way to look at this. Long gating with reflections is total mess regarding phase. Another problem is wide frequency range, adjusting delay/distance in settings/dsp will only shift the problems to another freq. But if there is major difference, delay adjustment will help a bit.

Dilemma with modern measurements and analysis methods - too many details...

QMuse

Major Contributor
Phase at spot is not a really good way to look at this. Long gating with reflections is total mess regarding phase. Another problem is wide frequency range, adjusting delay/distance in settings/dsp will only shift the problems to another freq. But if there is major difference, delay adjustment will help a bit.

Phase at spot is a good way to look at this as phase cancellation is happening at that spot (LP). Instead of long gating you need to apply FDW of 3-5 cycles, export the data and than you can correct it with rePhase. And it can help much more than a bit if done properly.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Its not a phase thing but SBIR, have measured it also L and R separately.
Yeah, SBIR usually can't just be EQ'd out. That's a speaker placement thing. One thing you can try, is moving the speakers closer to the front wall (assuming that's the reflection causing it) to drive the cancellation higher in frequency. Then use absorption behind the speakers to reduce it (it's easier to absorb higher frequencies). You'll have to re-EQ the bass, of course. The other way is to pull them farther into the room to put the cancellation frequency lower--in the sub's range--so it's below the crossover.

Of course with room layout/WAF concerns, there's only so much the average person can do.

Top Bottom