• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok enough of the personal back and forth , grandstanding and virtue signalling.

Back to the speaker review.

This older retiree with too much time on his hands got carried away - sorry for the distractions from the subject at hand.

The reality is that I am fascinated by the anomalies that appeared in Amir's testing results, and look forward to not only the further testing of the Kali IN-8, but additional discussions of results by real experts. I have no doubt that the science and engineering behind the efforts being made, combined with an excellent group of professionals who participate here, will reveal the truth. And any flaws in either the DUT, testing equipment/environment, or methods should be exposed.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me, for one.
I also have a pair of IN-8 here and like them, even more with EQ/room correction (like for all my speakers), as I personally prefer loudspeakers with good performance in disciplines that can't be corrected/equalised (like smooth directivity and low distortions), as I anyway equalise the frequency response to my room/listening position.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Refusing to acknowledge or respond to appropriate criticisms and counter-questions is in itself "antagonistic", first creating frustration, and then sometimes, a "hostile" response."

Your comments border on narcissism.. It is not related to scientific investigation. None of these type of comments refer to the metrics or testing. You are simply being demeaning. I would suggest it is you that has chosen not to be civil. This environment is like a clique that excludes any inquiry from people outside the chosen few. It's very sad to see this. I assume that any questions that I do have will be met with more Ad Hominem attacks. Which is why I have chosen to leave. I am not sure why you are so hostile when anyone is asking about any of these tests or processes in general. The defensive posture of the group makes it appear that truth is not something that you are after. You are making back handed comments and then pretending to be noble. I do not believe this to be appropriate behavior. It's better that I leave than to actually tell what I do know. This is a political site not a scientific one. Amir has a conflict of interest in his reviewing since he is a dealer for some of the products he reviews. So when someone asks questions and you tell them they are ignorant and stupid for asking, it does not look good from others outside this forum. I only had the desire to understand how the process was being deployed. I was not seeking to discredit anyone. But I was met with responses that really didn't answer questions but told to essentially "shut up' and that I was not "qualified" to inquiry. Thanks for those that did provide me with crucial information. Have a nice day.

Sorry to see you go. If there's any chance of having you stick around, I think you'd provide some valuable insight that would very much be appreciated.

Things are more heated here than I can recall them ever having been since I started lurking a few years ago. I don't think the tensions and heated language the past few weeks are representative of the forum as a whole. But I understand why you'd feel that way.

bugbob

"rather than demanding that @amirm detail his proces"
This is ridiculous. I made no demands. I asked questions. Again, I came in ignorant of the forum. My mistake, I apologize. But please do not intentionally misrepresent my statements and thusly misrepresent me. You are personally accusing me of things that never occurred. I find this offensive. This is Amir's forum. But there is no need to make false claims against me.

Welcome. You entered with what I perceived as some bravado and expectations behind your questions particularly on your first few posts, and you were giving as well as taking throughout your string of posts. I hope you ride it out and stay. There are a number of scientific and industry experts, as well as very knowledgeable users on this forum that help further everyone's understanding. It's now a largish community of all different types. In your profile, just put who's musings you don't want to read, or anyone you don't want to engage with on your ignore list. It's as simple as that. I just added one of your main antagonists from this thread to mine based on discourse on this thread and others previously.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I also have a pair of IN-8 here and like them, even more with EQ/room correction (like for all my speakers), as I personally prefer loudspeakers with good performance in disciplines that can't be corrected/equalised (like smooth directivity and low distortions), as I anyway equalise the frequency response to my room/listening position.

To be clear, I was responding to the general question of "How many people own Kali speakers and like them?" - I have the LP-6s here, and like them quite a bit. I have not heard the IN-8, but I am certainly curious to do so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yo dude - @amirm - what 'ya selling today? I couldn't find your online store!
Selling Seattle rain today. Have a bunch of bottles outside collecting it. Will run a poll on branding and marketing strategy soon and will get onto making big money!!!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Selling Seattle rain today. Have a bunch of bottles outside collecting it. Will run a poll on branding and marketing strategy soon and will get onto making big money!!!
So it fell in Seattle but where did the actual water originate? How warm was it and no plastic bottles please..

Have you done blind tests Vs tap water ?

You must respond to my inquiry, I'm a valid person who demands to be seen, listened to and treated like I'm the king of water.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it fell in Seattle but where did the actual water originate? How warm was it and no plastic bottles please..

Have you done blond tests Vs tap water ?

You must respond to my inquiry, I'm a valid person who demands to be seen, listened to and treated like I'm the king of water.
The water originates with the Rain God of course.
1580107945287.png

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Have you done blond tests Vs tap water ?

I thought it was from one of the Shamens.

tenor.gif

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Next, he'll be selling his bath water. You can spray it on audio components to improve measurement results.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dr. Toole's experiment comparing different speakers in different rooms shows that the same speaker is preferred regardless of room, even though the room may change the sound of each. The room affects each speaker equally so the preference isn't going to change.
I understood that some speakers are designed with placement against a wall in mind for additional room gain, while others placed a distance from the wall. I assume this is primarily variance in the bass weighting.

This seems like a valid design consideration that would necessarily show up in the frequency response. How does this impact the preference metrics typically calculated here? Do they ding speakers that have been designed for more room gain?

bagkyr

Excuse me if it has already been mentioned and didn't realised it. Do the speakers need some using time, so that they can function normally?
Do the measurements of the speakers change if we use it in a multichannel setup (5.2 or 5.2.4 with equalizer and room correctiom ie dirac) and the crossover is 80Hz or 100Hz or 120Hz?
Were the measurements done with one speaker or a pair of speakers?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me if it has already been mentioned and didn't realised it. Do the speakers need some using time, so that they can function normally?
Do the measurements of the speakers change if we use it in a multichannel setup (5.2 or 5.2.4 with equalizer and room correctiom ie dirac) and the crossover is 80Hz or 100Hz or 120Hz?
Were the measurements done with one speaker or a pair of speakers?

Welcome @bagkyr.

Speakers do not show meaningful differences in frequency response with burn-in.
The measurements won't change if used in a multi-channel setup, other than limiting the bass output. You'd have to use a very high crossover to fix the errors in response shown here.

Anechoic measurements are performed with just one speaker. Measuring with two does not make a speaker better or worse.

However amir has a new pair of these speakers in house and will be retesting them soon so stay tuned for that.

Top Bottom