• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JL ELectronics Sylph-D200 Amplifier Module Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JL Electronic's (JLE) Sylph-D200 stereo amplifier module built on top of TI's TPA3255 amplifier IC. Depending on the configuration you pick, the module costs US $130 to $170. You can read more about it here: https://www.jlelectronicsph.com/product/sylph-d200-tpa3255-pffb-stereo-ready-to-run-amplifier-module. Or ask questions from the company representative @jlesterp.

Testing bare modules is difficult for me so I asked for a finished system and that is what I received:
JLE SYLPH-D200 Review TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.jpg

Not much to see here so let's look at the module inside:

JLE SYLPH-D200 Review TPA3255 STEREO amplifier teardown DIY.jpg

I must say that row of inductors looks pretty lined up that way. :) I should note that the company is an ODM (white label designer) for other companies and is located in Philippines. They provided their own measurements that correlate well with mine.

There are two power supply configurations. The version I have is the lower voltage one (36 volt?) that produces lower power than than if you choose to power it with 45 volt rails.

JLE Sylph-D200 Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
JLE SYLPH-D200 Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

The gain is rather low compared to 29 dB that I usually see in amplifiers. Then again this allows full power at the levels that our desktop DACs produce so it is fine. I understand the base gain in the TI chip is lower still. A buffer opamp is used to get up to 14 dB. The lower gain gives an advantage to this board when it comes to other amplifiers which have more noise due to higher gain. Still, let's do our usual SINAD comparison:

Best Class D Amplifier Board Reviewed.png

The board is just 0.1 dB short of falling in our superb category in blue! I am told that there is a bit of SINAD loss at the speaker terminals as opposed to the board itself. If so, this is a remarkable achievement.

Noise performance is excellent but again, keep in mind the lower gain:

JLE SYLPH-D200 SNR Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

At 5 watts, it easily clears my 16-bit/96 dB hurdle. This shows that we can build more optimized systems if we take full advantage of the output of our DACs with amplifiers that have lower gain.

The board can be configured with the feedback including the output filter or not. The configuration I have has it including the filter which reduces load dependency but does not eliminate it:

JLE SYLPH-D200 Frequency Response Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Multitone test shows the classic rise of distortion with frequency:

JLE SYLPH-D200 Multitone Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Crosstalk performance was very good:
JLE SYLPH-D200 Crosstalk Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Power sweep into 4 ohm load shows very low and interestingly, constant distortion ratio until hard clipping:
JLE SYLPH-D200 power into 4 ohm Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Company thinks the input buffer is overloading. As noted, to get more power you need to step up to higher voltage power supply.

The hard clipping made it hard for AP software to properly determine the 1%THD point but did show the burst power:
JLE SYLPH-D200 max and burst power into 4 ohm Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Switching to 8 ohm we get:

JLE SYLPH-D200 power into 8 ohm Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png

Testing for frequency sensitivity we see that behavior is decent:

JLE SYLPH-D200 power vs frequency vs distortion into 4 ohm Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifi...png

Conclusions
It is amazing to see the progress these "chip amps" are making in the hands of capable designers. They are inching their way to the top of the class in our distortion and noise rankings while keeping costs very low. In the case of JLE, it is nice to see a design from another part of the world making it easier to access DIY oriented hobbyists to access them who are locally situated. Interacting with member @jlesterp has been a delight as well.

I am happy to recommend the JLE Sylph-D200 amplifier module.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Cute little amp way better performance than I thought it would have. How much does that fancy case cost?
Thanks for the review Amir this is something I could afford for play time with electronics.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice layout on the PCBs and the chassis assembly. What kind of extra expense is there for adding a case and terminations for input and output?

Is that something that might be available as a option in the future @jlesterp ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm can we have dimensions of the case so we can get a idea of the assembled size?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cute little amp…
Increase the supply voltage, add a fan and the “cute” amp can supply 300W per channel. It’s fascinating.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Increase the supply voltage, add a fan and the “cute” amp can supply 300W per channel. It’s fascinating.
How do you calculate to 300 W/ch?

Supply Voltage: 30V DC min to 50V DC max
Recommended Supply (Low Power): 36V to 38V DC
Recommended Suppy (High Power): 42V to 45V DC
Power (< 1% THD+N, 45V Supply): 80W-8Ω, 130W-4Ω
Power (< 1% THD+N, 36V Supply): 40W-8Ω, 70W-4Ω

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Promit

Wow, lots of performance for not very much money. I wonder if someone can wrap this up all nice into a ready to go case (or even a kit) and sell it at a still reasonable amount of money.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume it is Class D (?) The reviews might state that as most will not have the IC info in their heads.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How do you calculate to 300 W/ch?

Supply Voltage: 30V DC min to 50V DC max
Recommended Supply (Low Power): 36V to 38V DC
Recommended Suppy (High Power): 42V to 45V DC
Power (< 1% THD+N, 45V Supply): 80W-8Ω, 130W-4Ω
Power (< 1% THD+N, 36V Supply): 40W-8Ω, 70W-4Ω
300W is at higher distortion. You can easily have 200W per channel <1%.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, lots of performance for not very much money. I wonder if someone can wrap this up all nice into a ready to go case (or even a kit) and sell it at a still reasonable amount of money.
As far as I can see this is a kit

jrosser

Great to see an implementation of one of these chip amps realising the potential of the silicon.

The gain is rather low compared to 29 dB that I usually see in amplifiers. Then again this allows full power at the levels that our desktop DACs produce so it is fine. I understand the base gain in the TI chip is lower still. A buffer opamp is used to get up to 14 dB. The lower gain gives an advantage to this board when it comes to other amplifiers which have more noise due to higher gain. Still, let's do our usual SINAD comparison:

The basic gain of the TPA3255 is 21.5dB and adding the optional extra components to take feedback after the output inductor reduces the gain by about 7dB.

The TI reference design puts a unity gain buffer at the inputs, but this could be used to bump the gain back up to 'normal' for a post-filter-feedback configuration if required.

It does puzzle me that the balanced input TPA3255 implementations that I've seen just buffer the +/- inputs and send them straight into two of the chip inputs directly making no attempt to have a proper balanced line receiver at the input. I think this is just copying the reference design - a handful of extra parts to make a proper precision differential-in / differential-out input buffer would likely yield an improved CMMR and provide some product differentiation for quality implementations. I believe this is the approach taken by @tomchr for his Purifi input buffer.

@amirm have you considered measuring other aspects of balanced input equipment, such as common mode rejection?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
$300 (just a stab at a price for a built amp) for a 35W@8ohm (60w@4) assembled amp - is good value, but not earth moving good value... It doesn't make the top echelon of amps, so you cant claim you bought SoA gear and the qualitative difference to something like the Loxjie A30 isn't that much...

Or for a little more money one can get Yamaha WXA50 (with lots more functionality) and simillar performace. It's a nice implementation of the tpa chip for sure, but I have a hard time placing it into the marketplace.

Maybe, this is why Topping hasn't given us a power amp yet...? It's really hard to do.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$300 (just a stab at a price for a built amp) for a 35W@8ohm (60w@4) assembled amp - is good value, but not earth moving good value...
Would you say it would be good value if it would cost around 10% more but deliver 2x 300W at 4ohms?

Top Bottom