• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JL ELectronics Sylph-D200 Amplifier Module Review

ICIETDIYEUR

Hello Lester :)

Have you done any further testing with this power supply ?

Regards.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Have you done any further testing with this power supply ?

Regards.
Hi, what further kind of tests do you want? Based on my subsequent tests, this power supply does not add artifacts on FFT compared to others SMPS that I've tested (as good as LRS-350 series).

Last edited:

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
This is the fan included on SE-450-48. I suggest that you buy mean well products only on reputable distributors with the likes of mouser / farnell / digikey. LCSC if coming from China.

IMG_1987.jpeg

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

Thank you for your answers ;)

I wanted to say if there is a possibility of removing the fan or putting in a less noisy one.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
You can put a 50ohm 5W/10W chassis mounted resistor in place of the fan. It would output ~2.88W of heat at 12V, not an elegant solution, but it will work.
I will check if a larger value resistor will suffice to replace the fan to reduce the heat.

Tazio

Hello guys.
I'm a beginner trying to learn and maybe the question is silly...but ...am I wrong or there's no volume control?
Anyone minds posting the wiring diagram?

TheWalkman

Hello guys.
I'm a beginner trying to learn and maybe the question is silly...but ...am I wrong or there's no volume control?
Anyone minds posting the wiring diagram?
Tazio,

Good question.

You normally connect an amp like this to a preamp or DAC and feed your audio source (like a streamer, tuner, phono, phone, etc.) into to the preamp.

I use Topping E 70 as a preamp for my amp setup.

Some amplifiers use the same amplifier chip (the TPA3255 from Texas Instruments) and provide a volume knob. An example would be an Aiyima A07.

This amp has a couple of integrated circuits called op amps built in that act as preamps,

Tazio

Tazio,

Good question.

You normally connect an amp like this to a preamp or DAC and feed your audio source (like a streamer, tuner, phono, phone, etc.) into to the preamp.

I use Topping E 70 as a preamp for my amp setup.

Some amplifiers use the same amplifier chip (the TPA3255 from Texas Instruments) and provide a volume knob. An example would be an Aiyima A07.

This amp has a couple of integrated circuits called op amps built in that act as preamps,

Thank you for your interesting explanation. Really appreciated.
Though, if I want to couple the Sylph D200 to a turntable featuring a built-in pre amp, would it be possible to simply put an attenuator on the line in?

TheWalkman

Thank you for your interesting explanation. Really appreciated.
Though, if I want to couple the Sylph D200 to a turntable featuring a built-in pre amp, would it be possible to simply put an attenuator on the line in?

I’m fairly certain it won’t work without some type of preamp in front of it.

Here‘s my friendly advice: buy an Aiyima A07 or Fosi V3 (both for under $100 from Amazon) and start your TPA 3255 amp journey There. Both are great sounding, affordable amps will save you money and frustration.

In my opinion, trying to build a DYI amp from a Sylph module is not the place to start and will likely prove to be the more frustrating and far more expensive way to go. Make the Sylph a second or third project if you still care to.

Tazio

I’m fairly certain it won’t work without some type of preamp in front of it.

Here‘s my friendly advice: buy an Aiyima A07 or Fosi V3 (both for under $100 from Amazon) and start your TPA 3255 amp journey There. Both are great sounding, affordable amps will save you money and frustration.

In my opinion, trying to build a DYI amp from a Sylph module is not the place to start and will likely prove to be the more frustrating and far more expensive way to go. Make the Sylph a second or third project if you still care to.
Looks like others have different opinion ...

Buying a finished amp is not DIY. I want to challenge myself and try to realize something on my own ...thought that assembling a couple of boards and bunch of components isn't transcendental.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 57

TheWalkman

Looks like others have different opinion ...

Buying a finished amp is not DIY. I want to challenge myself and try to realize something on my own ...thought that assembling a couple of boards and bunch of components isn't transcendental.
My bad: it does appear to have the op amps on board.

Good luck.

jkorten

I just built a TPA3255 pair of monoblocks from 3E audio and I have to say they sound incredible. I've just ordered the Sylph Audio high end mono block amp boards to compare (it's so inexpensive!). This Texas Instruments IC is giving Hypex and ICE a run for their money. I find these to be more transparent sounding. I compared them to the Topping LA90 and they just trounced the LA90. By comparison the LA90 sounds like its playing through a plastic barrier. The added benefit is you can use an off the shelf SMPS instead of a custom SMPS (these seem to be the things that fail).

Top Bottom