• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Yes and yes, BUT, there is still a problem of samples being what was paid for and the next patch, paid in advance, being crap. Company closes and puts on a new name next week to fleece someone again. So, companies like Apple have to maintain their own people on-site. If they do, yes, they can make top notch. If not, you find out they used cheaper glue, counterfeits parts, carap metal, skipped the cleaning process before paint...

But yes, it is the responsibility of the company who puts their name on the product shared with the seller of said.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
When China design and build without contracted specs, they usually make junk.
Well SMSL,Topping,etc ain't building with contracted specs and they're building better schitt than western builders,China just has cheap skilled labor just like the good ole USA had free skilled labor.

AndrewDavis

Well SMSL,Topping,etc ain't building with contracted specs and they're building better schitt than western builders,China just has cheap skilled labor just like the good ole USA had free skilled labor.
Lots of jobs out there for skilled workers right now. Fewer workers with appropriate skills than job, for that matter. Makes me want to learn how to code...

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I HAD respect for Topping and SMSL. ( I own several older products) Until I bought one of each and sent them back. My Schiit works fine. My Harvey band saw is great but only after I took it apart and fixed both sloppy manufacturing and a design fault. I had to replace sheaves in my Taiwan Delta drill press. Had to hone the guides in a Chinese metal lathe, hone the T-slots in a Chinese made Rigid table saw...

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I HAD respect for Topping and SMSL. ( I own several older products) Until I bought one of each and sent them back. My Schiit works fine. My Harvey band saw is great but only after I took it apart and fixed both sloppy manufacturing and a design fault. I had to replace sheaves in my Taiwan Delta drill press. Had to hone the guides in a Chinese metal lathe, hone the T-slots in a Chinese made Rigid table saw...
There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again

lc155

So with the China thing, there's an aspect of mainland Chinese culture that a lot of people don't really understand that came about as a result of Maoism - it is expected to cheat and lie to get ahead; they do it all the time and will act like nothing is wrong if they get caught. This makes it a nightmare for manufacturing as you will often find they skimp out on materials or just give you the entirely wrong things unless you make sure to have everything thoroughly checked over at each step to catch them out (which is why larger manufacturers typically just own their own factories with employed staff they can keep tabs on).

Contracting out to the numerous factories will likely result in shoddy goods if you aren't careful and you'll probably find your product cloned near instantly and sold elsewhere.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So with the China thing, there's an aspect of mainland Chinese culture that a lot of people don't really understand that came about as a result of Maoism - it is expected to cheat and lie to get ahead; they do it all the time and will act like nothing is wrong if they get caught. This makes it a nightmare for manufacturing as you will often find they skimp out on materials or just give you the entirely wrong things unless you make sure to have everything thoroughly checked over at each step to catch them out (which is why larger manufacturers typically just own their own factories with employed staff they can keep tabs on).

Contracting out to the numerous factories will likely result in shoddy goods if you aren't careful and you'll probably find your product cloned near instantly and sold elsewhere.
Please can you point me in the direction of some evidence to support this.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So with the China thing, there's an aspect of mainland Chinese culture that a lot of people don't really understand that came about as a result of Maoism - it is expected to cheat and lie to get ahead; they do it all the time and will act like nothing is wrong if they get caught....

One can just as easily say....

There's an aspect of US culture that a lot of people don't really understand that came about as a result of capitalism - it is commonplace to cheat and lie to get ahead as long as you don't get caught. Corporations aren't beholden to consumers; only to their stockholders.

Labjr

Major Contributor
One can just as easily say....

There's an aspect of US culture that a lot of people don't really understand that came about as a result of capitalism - it is commonplace to cheat and lie to get ahead as long as you don't get caught. Corporations aren't beholden to consumers; only to their stockholders.

Stick to the subject.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I agree. The subject of this thread is the Atom DAC. It would be better if people stayed focused on that.

But if people, like you, insist on engaging in Chinese stereotyping, I feel it's fair to confront it.

Reality not stereotyping.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

jawbfl

Interesting video about Chinese culture relating to the topic.

DELETED VIDEO

This video is just silly, I don’t have a horse in this race, but this video talks about lazy employees and people not willing to help that's just nowadays normal behavior that can be found anywhere in the world because the world is turning into a schiity place. Very few people will let you use their laptop because it's dangerous to let a stranger connect unknown storage that can contain viruses, trojans, key-loggers etc, this was a business laptop so he might get fired if the boss finds out!

It's not like everywhere else in the world is full of helpful people whom go above and beyond or that Chinese people are the merciless people on the planet, let's be realistic this is racist, talk Atom please.

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This video is just silly, I don’t have a horse in this race, but this video talks about lazy employees and people not willing to help that's just nowadays normal behavior that can be found anywhere in the world because the world is turning into a schiity place. Very few people will let you use their laptop because it's dangerous to let a stranger connect unknown storage that can contain viruses, trojans, key-loggers etc, this was a business laptop so he might get fired if the boss finds out!

It's not like everywhere else in the world is full of helpful people whom go above and beyond or that Chinese people are the merciless people on the planet, let's be realistic this is racist, talk Atom please.
I genuinely meant no harm by it. I found it fascinating. In hindsight it may have been in poor taste.

Last edited:

RC23

Back to the topic Atom DAC.

There was a case on the forum where a user reported the following:

"One annoyance I encountered is when the Atom DAC 'wakes up' from sleep mode, there is an audible pop from my active speakers that are connected to the Atom AMP." Link

Is this still the case or has the issue been resolved with a firmware update?

I would be using a combo of Atom DAC and Atom Amp, which then passes its signal to a power amp.

GeekySimar

Anyone have listening experience of JDS Atom DAC and Topping E30? Which one is better?

Is it worth to spend extra $50 on Topping E30, as price has increased to $149 for Topping E30?

Top Bottom