• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Thorskin

I get it but The Modi 3 came out almost 2 years ago and had a lot more features and measures just fine.
It just feels like its too little too late.
I feel like people are giving it a pass just because its JDS (and that it matches the Atom)
Again, just my opinion.

Edit: I just want to clarify, I have no brand loyalty to any company, I just used Schiit as an example because they are the same price and made in the US

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Seems pretty incredible for the price. Its nice to have other made in USA options to consider. For the atom amp this is a winner for sure!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I get it but The Modi 3 came out almost 2 years ago and had a lot more features and measures just fine.
I feel like people are giving it a pass just because its JDS (and that it matches the Atom)
Again, just my opinion.

Edit: I just want to clarify, I have no brand loyalty to any company, I just used Schiit as an example because they are the same price and made in the US
I would argue that the Modi 3 has some issues with the USB implementation as has been typical of Schiit with their ancient USB interface.
JDS is also a better company than Schiit so I would rather support a company that is trustworthy and really takes care of their staff.

Labjr

Major Contributor
They are reusing the exact same USB controller almost every single time, which is compatible with most modern operating systems without any third party drivers.
Then why doesn't it support DSD out of the box?

Last edited:

lc155

Posted this a couple of days ago on another thread. Having read the review and specs etc, pretty sure its got to be true. Or maybe I am wrong and people want to spend $200-250 on two box simple solutions, rather than have to.

I can see a shift coming in the desktop component market. The days of standalone cheap single ended DACs must be coming to an end soon. Given the "they all sound the same" mantra and the dongle class leaders showing what can be done in such a small package- surely the future will be $100-$150 USB / Bluetooth Headamps which of course include a DAC chip. Essentially the Atom HPA v2 includes a DAC. Undercutting the likes of the Topping DX3.

Standalone DACs become multiple input and output devices (as most new ones are anyway)- RCA and XLR outputs for what I will call "power" users who want more than one box and output. Not sure why anyone would either make or buy an $80-120 standalone single ended only DAC.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of stacking, I'd prefer an all-in-one Atom Amp/DAC box, like my o2dac. Clean and simple. When's it coming, John?

Separating the DAC to play with the sound was always bogus to me. I can understand doing it for features (aka more inputs if you're connecting a bunch of stuff to it), but that's more limited to the AV side of audio with all the devices on a TV entertainment centre than it is on a desk where you'd need USB and optical at most for nearly all use cases. Optical inclusion would definitely be nice for all those that have a console at their desk at least.

Last edited:

TheSacredSoul

One annoyance I encountered is when the Atom DAC 'wakes up' from sleep mode, there is a audible pop from my active speakers that are connected to the Atom AMP.

Considering downloading the sleepless software but what I realized is the ring light still remains switched on even after my PC shuts down. And it only turns off when it goes to sleep. With the sleepless software, I am going to assume it's going to be always on unless I switch off the main.

lc155

One annoyance I encountered is when the Atom DAC 'wakes up' from sleep mode, there is a audible pop from my active speakers that are connected to the Atom AMP.

Considering downloading the sleepless software but what I realized is the ring light still remains switched on even after my PC shuts down. And it only turns off when it goes to sleep. With the sleepless software, I am going to assume it's going to be always on unless I switch off the main.

Well that's a dealbreaker right there.

Adjec

That’s upsetting to hear. The lack of inputs and now this made me wish I had purchased the topping e30. By the way, have you emailed John?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
AUTOMATIC STANDBY
Atom DAC automatically enters standby after 15 minutes of inactivity, powering down its light ring and D/A circuitry, and audio wakes up within milliseconds. Standby can optionally be disabled by loading our 'sleepless' firmware.
ah, that makes sense. My AAA 789 does that too. But I think its like 2 hours

KR8NUX

No. It's nothing like that. Thanks for making my point for me.
How exactly did I make your point? 3770k = AK4490, 9700k=AK4493 was the analogy drawn.

I presume you didn't read the line following the one you just quoted on purpose? Nothing more to say to you then.

Last edited:

KR8NUX

If I was feeling generous I'd call this a mischaracterization. At worst, flat out untrue. The SK mk2 has better SINAD performance, but falls way short on the 32-tone test vs the Atom. The E30 has modestly better SINAD and 32-tone vs Atom and are basically neck and neck for other measurements. But it's 30% more expensive, and not made in North America if that's a consideration for you. You mention "other AK4493 solutions", but there are none on the measurements index on this site that that offer this level of performance at a comparable price range. Someone else mentioned the Loxjie D10, but it's SINAD only matches the Atom and it has the (probably inconsequential) ESS hump.

In other words, Atom is the reigning champ in the under $100 DAC category. Price absolutely matches performance.

???????

I mentioned loxjie D10 it has 5 dB better SINAD, cost's less, has optical input and headaphone Amp (all do not a great one), ESS hump is certainly something you won't hear. Topping E30 is 30$ more than Atom but you get display & remote. In the end Atom price is greater outside US (100+€).

And this was exactly why I stated that it isn't a trendsetting device anymore. Neither is the Atom DAC chart-topping, nor does it have the creature comforts like remote, screen, DSD(if you want it) etc. Also, there is no more free shipping even within the States. But people want to fling around terms like 'mischaracterization' and 'untruth'. I thought this was a science forum, but folk seem to force choice-supportive bias onto others who just make simple observations looking at what's in front of them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you by the way. I've said earlier up this thread what I think should or might happen at this end of the market. Hint- its a one box DAC and HPA- marketed as simple plug and play into phone/ PC for those that want more power or heft than a dongle offers but for not much more cost than the DAC or Amp separates- lets say 30-50% more than the standalone amp cost. With the same levels of performance of course. So folks can easily get behind a Drop HD6xx (for eg) and get a proper head-fi experience for not much more than $300 all in.

D

Deleted member 4360

I agree with you by the way. I've said earlier up this thread what I think should or might happen at this end of the market. Hint- its a one box DAC and HPA- marketed as simple plug and play into phone/ PC for those that want more power or heft than a dongle offers but for not much more cost than the DAC or Amp separates- lets say 30-50% more than the standalone amp cost. With the same levels of performance of course. So folks can easily get behind a Drop HD6xx (for eg) and get a proper head-fi experience for not much more than $300 all in.
You're ignoring the fact that the Atom has a much better USB implementation and overall measures better. See debunkers post. Plus, I haven't seen mention that the JDS product has a transferable warranty therefore increasing your resale value if you want to change. Schiit and Topping do not allow that.

Thorskin

Yes, I would have prefered a "Atom Amp Plus" or something, with built in DAC, perhaps for $150, that would have been something.....
This just feels same old (unnecessary), same old. Too little, too late.
When the biggest Pros of an ordinary DAC are "aftersales support" and "treatment of staff" or "USA" I just think its not very special from a "science" point of view, I mean do DACs even break often???? Sure it measures well but they all do now and they all sound the same anyway.....
IMO DACs need to start getting built in to amps and stop getting so much desk space attention, they are not that special.
There are too many of them already, they need to have something else, certain features to give them its space on a desk...inputs, volume control........like a preamp :D

EDIT: I am looking forward to Meizu Hifi or E1DA sized DACs replacing these boxes for good
EDIT2: Spelling

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4360

And why the obsession with DSD, especially at this level. DSD is, at this point in time, hype just like SACD:

"Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but despite what many audiophiles may believe, less than one person a thousand can actually hear anything above 20KHz as a child, and there are almost no people over the age of 40 that can hear much above 15KHz. "

"The consumer version of most so-called 24-bit recordings are mastered with the dynamic range of or less than a 16-bit recording (96dB)."
BTW, this is where Shiit is right! They've been saying this for years!

What's the point? the Atom Dac is just fine and a great modern device for USD$100. Debating the differences between DAC's at this price point is largely a waste of time including my post because you won't hear the difference and if you do, it's your mind telling you that there's a difference. It's a better investment to invest in headphones but there's the law of diminishing returns there too.

D

Deleted member 4360

Yes, I would have prefered a "Atom Amp Plus" or something, with built in DAC, perhaps for $150, that would have been something.....
This just feels same old (unnecessary), same old. Too little, too late.
When the biggest Pros of an ordinary DAC are "aftersales support" and "treatment of staff" or "USA" I just think its not very special from a "science" point of view, I mean do DACs even break often???? Sure it measures well but they all do now and they all sound the same anyway.....
IMO DACs need to start getting built in to amps and stop getting such much desk space attention, they are not that special.
There are too many of them already, they need to have something else, certain features to give them its space on a desk...inputs, volume control........like a preamp :D
You post have no science in them but your saying the product doesn't perform and is too little too late? What's the basis for that argument? This company and many others "have" built in dac/amps. I have one called the Element II and it works and sounds just fine in a single solution.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're ignoring the fact that the Atom has a much better USB implementation and overall measures better. See debunkers post. Plus, I haven't seen mention that the JDS product has a transferable warranty therefore increasing your resale value if you want to change. Schiit and Topping do not allow that.

Im not comparing the Atom DAC to anything- so I'm not ignoring anything. I'm agreeing with a post that questions what this DAC brings to the party in the current market. I'm not criticising its performance or its relative merits. Im sure it works and works fine- I just dont see JDS thinking behind making it now.

I've suggested what I think the next move in the market will be. I dont think dongles are a full replacement for desktop components, I'm just not sure we need (relatively) inexpensive DAC/Amp separates anymore.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You post have no science in them but your saying the product doesn't perform and is too little too late? What's the basis for that argument? This company and many others "have" built in dac/amps. I have one called the Element II and it works and sounds just fine in a single solution.

Please point to where in that text you quoted they say or suggest "product doesn't perform"?

Top Bottom