• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Quite good!

DSD does nothing so there is no reason to have it anyway...
Depending how good output is done on the software player side you can get one or two dB SINAD advantage over other players and PCM/DSD with native DSD in JRiver for instance.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending how good output is done on the software player side you can get one or two dB SINAD advantage over other players and PCM/DSD with native DSD in JRiver for instance.

Which arguably doesn't do anything for the atom DAC/amp stack given how high SINAD is already.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stack shot!

IMG_1202.jpg

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Looks lean and mean for $211 delivered. What a deal.

For the money its very good indeed! though not perfect, my complaints are the dual wall warts and cheap enclosures they use. But sound quality and measurements wise they are great! especially for my bar setup, I use the D50S/A50S on my main setup.

luft262

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JDS Labs Atom DAC. It was kindly sent to me by the company and costs US $99.

As the name indicates, this is the long anticipated companion to the JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier:

View attachment 68333

I like the big circle but oddly, it is not a switch. There is an inline switch with the power supply for that purpose:

View attachment 68334

And that is the other odd thing. Typical DACs in this category are just USB powered. This one comes with the standard AC transformer JDS ships with their other products. It is not an issue for performance but I would think it is a cost that could have been optimized.

There are no other inputs which is fine with me but some want optical, etc.

DAC Audio Measurements
The JDS Labs Atom set a new bar for high performance headphone amplifier at very low cost. Can the DAC repeat the same? Here is our dashboard:

View attachment 68335

This is very good performance. Alas, it now slots in a very crowded segment of excellent budget DACs:

View attachment 68336

Zooming in:

View attachment 68337

Signal to noise ratio is in the same category of above rating:

View attachment 68338

IMD+noise is very good:

View attachment 68339

As is 32-tone test:

View attachment 68340

Some harmless spurious tones are visible in jitter test:

View attachment 68341

Linearity which is a measure of accuracy is superb:

View attachment 68342

Only one filter response is provided:

View attachment 68343

Good attenuation of out of band spectrum results in good THD+N versus frequency:

View attachment 68344

Conclusion
For anyone looking for a perfect match with JDS Labs Atom, the DAC is naturally a perfect fit. Its distortion is below threshold of audibility so can be proven to be totally transparent to what you play.

The company is in US and provides superb support -- something that is next to impossible to get at times from bargain offerings elsewhere.

Overall, I am happy to recommend the JDS Labs Atom DAC.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

261.... that is the number of products I have tested with a DAC in them!!! How about you all donate that much in dollars by the end of the week? Fair exchange, no? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I have the Atom Amp and DAC and I find them to work great! Thanks for all of your hard work. I mostly pair them with my Sundara headphones. I understand that the DAC doesn't have as many connections or features as some others, the iFi Zen DAC for example, but it has everything you need without any gimmicks. For example, you could get the Zen DAC for the same price and it has more features, but would you rather be able to run balanced or would you rather simply have less distortion from your DAC to begin with and just plug in a standard 1/4 TRS connector? Plus, I can attest that if you email JDS Labs they will email you back in like 2 hours...it's crazy level service. I'll take a well made, basic product over gimmicky features any day of the week. For people concerned with "build quality" and what not you have to ask yourself what the primary purpose of your device is? If you're looking for better aesthetics why not just buy better furniture? Pretty much all that should matter from a DAC/AMP is the audio quality.

3rdShift

For people concerned with "build quality" and what not you have to ask yourself what the primary purpose of your device is? If you're looking for better aesthetics why not just buy better furniture? Pretty much all that should matter from a DAC/AMP is the audio quality.
First of all, the atom amp volume knob is trash, and should be replaced right away.
As for build quality, yes, it absolutely matters. And yes, audio quality precedes build quality, but build quality is still a factor, like it or not. For example, I have my modi 3/magni heresy stack on my desk with my sub output control and audio interface on top of them. I'd be wery doing this with the atom stack because of how hollow and thin the atom amp feels.

Don't get me wrong; I love my atom as much as my heresy (well, once I changed the volume knob), but there's no denying it feels cheaply made, and I feel like I need to be "delicate" with it.

ishouldbeking

First of all, the atom amp volume knob is trash, and should be replaced right away.
As for build quality, yes, it absolutely matters. And yes, audio quality precedes build quality, but build quality is still a factor, like it or not. For example, I have my modi 3/magni heresy stack on my desk with my sub output control and audio interface on top of them. I'd be wery doing this with the atom stack because of how hollow and thin the atom amp feels.

Don't get me wrong; I love my atom as much as my heresy (well, once I changed the volume knob), but there's no denying it feels cheaply made, and I feel like I need to be "delicate" with it.

Yeah, I agree that it's not the single determining factor, but it does matter. My Atom Amp is too light so it slides around a bit when plugging in cables or pushing the front buttons. The knob is trashy but would honestly be fine if it sat on the mounting post better; as it is it's too easy to wiggle loose and become crooked, which drives me nuts for purely aesthetic reasons. The design is otherwise great, and I do wish they could figure out how to do a basic aluminum version of this case for an extra $30, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. The good news for JDS owners is that the build quality issues are a pretty minor annoyance, whereas Schiit uses solid cases but has issues with grounding, headphones being destroyed, or amps catching fire. Different category of concern IMHO.

3rdShift

whereas Schiit uses solid cases but has issues with grounding, headphones being destroyed, or amps catching fire.
Worth noting that this is largely a thing of the past, and even if something does happen, schiit has been on point with customer service.

ishouldbeking

Worth noting that this is largely a thing of the past, and even if something does happen, schiit has been on point with customer service.

EDIT: I should say, I have seen reports of more than one amp catching fire in the last couple weeks over in r/headphones :-(

At least one included pictures of a smoking amp.

3rdShift

They've had more than one amp catch fire in the last couple weeks over in r/headphones :-(
Catch fire or just release smoke?
And like I said, schiit has been taking care of defective units, and this isn't anything widespread.

ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

To be honest, if my A/V gear starts smoking, nothing from that brand ever again goes near me, my family, or my house. Considering what we already know about Schiit from the past decade or so, continued issues like this, even if sporadic, are enough for me to decide to steer clear. But by all means, do what thou wilt

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Having dealt with a Schiit Heresy that had got really hot and fried itself. While it lasted, I can say that for the money the Schiit products are hard to beat, the amount of power the Heresy could produce cleanly and for the price was astonishing.

When I dealt with Schiit's support, they repaired the amp and sent me the full MSRP+ tax of my Sundara's that was plugged into it at the time. I have to say, I am cautious about their products moving forward, but the customer support I had received was top notch, and that's enough for me to continue purchasing their gear. Hopefully this is something they address in future revisions of their amplifiers.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I like my Atom Amp, and this one isn't too bad either based on performance alone.

They are building down to a price, but for me as a consumer, that still just doesn't cut it compared to the chinese competition.

I have an SMSL Sankrit 2 DAC, fom the 'Chinese competition'. It sounds great, has a display for those who find that useful, and has a metal housing which is nice. Only beef I have is that customer support is nonexistent- I contacted the company twice with a simple technical question, once by email and once on their facebook page, and never got any response. Had the opposite experience twith two Schiit products I owned. Note Rayman30's experience. They replaced the connected device even though they were under no legal obligation to do so. Good luck getting that level of support from an offshore vendor if my experience is typical, as I suspect it is.

If it's a choice between a nicer box and customer support, I might go for customer support, I think I might opt for the latter.

Point well taken though about the enclosure though; I think they could have sold basically the same device with a metal enclosure (off-the-shelf perhaps) for maybe $125- $150, still 'entry level' pricing but maybe the improved 'feel' might have paid off. It would still be competitive in that price range.

Last edited:

Gradius

Smokes from heat. Heat in general is due to low efficience.

L.E. isn't a good thing.

Top Bottom