• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

damian612

So you're buying a item based on its looks and not it's performance which is retarded. I'd rather buy a ugly American made product with zero issues than some Chinese product that's great looking but has problems out the ass and zero customer service.
Though hate for CCP is just and right, it is silly to direct the hate to DACs and amps.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Though hate for CCP is just and right, it is silly to direct the hate to DACs and amps.
I don't think bringing that up is the correct move on this forum. You may consider change your reply before big boss do something. Everything has good and bad.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Here are my thoughts on the Atom Dac after a few weeks of owning it.

I have to say that the original Atom Amp plastic build was a bit of a turn-off, but it was mainly because of the small plastic volume knob and the fact that the unit was too light and would move when adjusting the volume. I would suggest JDS simply install a deeper volume knob with some texture to improve traction and put additional weights in the amp by default.

In respect of the Atom DAC though, I have absolutely no objection about the plastic casing. In fact, out of all the DACs that I have owned, which includes the Topping D50s, D70B, Schiit Modi 3 and Bifrost 2, the Atom DAC has been the most RFI-resistant of them all. I live very close to a commercial airport as well as a military radar site, and a lot of my equipment picks up a specific radar blip, which the Atom DAC completely rejects. So, proper engineering triumphs over brute force and metal shielding.

Moreover, the Atom DAC is set-and-forget type of deal as it does not have any buttons, so it does not matter whether the casing is light or heavy.
I do think that there is a bit of unfair bias against plastic casework in this hobby - can you imagine video gamers insisting that the PS5 had a metal case? ;)

I actually have nothing against high quality textured plastic because I find it to be more scratch resistant than brushed aluminum cases and does not dent or mark as easily. Plus, the finish tends to be very uniform under all kinds of lighting.

In terms of the sound, it is simply fantastic, clear and transparent. The noise floor is extremely low and there is not even a hint of EMI or RFI even at extreme volume settings. Channel balance (measured with my multimeter) is within 0.03dB, which is great. No weird glitches to report in terms of having to restart the unit over the last two weeks. My D70 would lock up at least once a month when streaming Tidal, having to restart the unit.

The short USB cable provided is great quality as well with an installed ferrite bead to further reduce interference. Usually I discard the provided accessories because they are garbage quality, but not in this case.

JDS customer support is legendary and they are willing to customize the firmware of the unit for specific customer needs - for example, if the PS5 and the XBOX X end up only supporting the UAC1 protocol, JDS has provided a firmware that would enable us to downgrade from UAC2 to UAC1, although it is a one-way upgrade (there is no way to go back to the UAC2).

The only suggestion for improvement that I have would be to turn down the intensity of the LED ring by 50% as I generally prefer very subtle signal LEDs. Nothing that a Light Dim cannot fix though. JDS actually offered to install a resistor in front of this LED before shipping the unit to me to reduce the light intensity for no extra charge, so it is worth asking them.

It certainly is not the cheapest possible DAC, and it does not have the most features, but it does what it does flawlessly. It's a case of substance over style and understatement over flash. After a few years in this hobby, these are the qualities that I have come to appreciate.

Great review, thanks. I concur, every product I’ve owned from JDS has been rock solid and a great value. Plus, their customer service is delightfully good. The same can’t be said for some of their competitors. I sound like a shill, but I’m just an enthusiastic supporter for all of the reasons stated above.

raif71

Major Contributor
My jds labs atom is lonely now. The d50s is with a50s now. Where in Malaysia can I get this atom dac? The atom amp was bought 2nd hand from a person that got it from the US.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
NO DSD SUPPORT! Not opinions that it doesn't matter.
You don’t need to yell. Another viewpoint is that it makes little sense for an objective-based audio manufacturer to support DSD given the questionable advantages and tiny market share it maintains.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You don’t need to yell. Another viewpoint is that it makes little sense for an objective-based audio manufacturer to support DSD given the questionable advantages and tiny market share it maintains.
What about MQA and ROON everyone(not) is swearing about?

bboris77

Nah...MQA is just a passing fad.

About ROON - do they have their own compression format now? Or do they just charge people to "test" the DAC and slap a shiny sticker on it?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Nah...MQA is just a passing fad.

About ROON - do they have their own compression format now? Or do they just charge people to "test" the DAC and slap a shiny sticker on it?
I mention them as features people want from a DAC.
It's just a matter of time before these features appear on cheapest devices(already ifi). People all want them.

Labjr

Major Contributor
MQA is proprietary, but would still like to see it included. DSD doesn't cost anything. Just enable the feature that's built into the DAC IC.

Zensō

Major Contributor
It's just a matter of time before these features appear on cheapest devices(already ifi). People all want them.
I’m happy with PCM. All those logos on the box look impressive though... /s

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I get "Roon Ready" for streamers- thats very useful- I dont get "Roon tested" which as far as I can tell is them certifying a USB DAC will work connected to a device running Roon Core- is there any USB DAC that wont work like that?

TheMarshal

So you're buying a item based on its looks and not it's performance which is retarded. I'd rather buy a ugly American made product with zero issues than some Chinese product that's great looking but has problems out the ass and zero customer service.

JDS' customer service is out of this world. However, ShenzenAudio and Topping have awesome customer support too. I was thinking the same as you, but I was wrong. :)

Error415

JDS' customer service is out of this world. However, ShenzenAudio and Topping have awesome customer support too. I was thinking the same as you, but I was wrong. :)

That's good to know. I'd pasted on Topping's gear before because there always seems to be a issue with the first batch of new gear and I had heard nothing but terrible stories about their customer service.

Top Bottom