• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 630 and Studio 698 - Review & Measurements by Erin

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I don't do much on Youtube, but if Erin is reading this or somebody wants to comment on his Youtube video, ask him if he has results of the impedance for the Studio 530s that he measured.
Sure, Erin has just sent me the following graphs.

Here is the result of the two of Erin's samples (taken in the KLIPPEL software):
530 klippel.png

Here is the overlay with Amir's data:
530.png

Cheers!

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure, Erin has just sent me the following graphs.

Here is the result of the two of Erin's samples (taken in the KLIPPEL software):
View attachment 338578

Here is the overlay with Amir's data:
View attachment 338580

Cheers!
Looks ballpark same to me....allowing for ( human variables) error.... I think we can safely assume that the variation in pir and on axis was due to measuring points....

Beave

Major Contributor
Thanks to @sweetchaos and to Erin for supplying the data I requested. It shows good consistency in the impedance, enough that I think we can rule out incorrect crossover parts and incorrect woofer part installation. There's nothing to indicate something grossly wrong with the crossover or the woofer.

So we're probably left with a combination of measurement axis plus some normal speaker-to-speaker variation.

Exactly. And indeed, best I can tell, Revel not developing anything new. Usually you hear rumors about this stuff, but nothing. Doesn’t help all of the JBL and Revel design legends have all been fired or left of their own accord.

Seems Samsung running Harman into the ground. Hope they don’t do same to Roon.

Note that the 530 and it's brethren, that this new line is replacing, was designed by Greg Timbers. It was one of the last projects he worked on before Samsung started laying off The Old Guard.

I have no idea if Charles Sprinkle was part of those layoffs, but he founded Kali Audio after working on the JBL M2 and JBL Eon speakers.

kongkong

Note that the 530 and it's brethren, that this new line is replacing, was designed by Greg Timbers. It was one of the last projects he worked on before Samsung started laying off The Old Guard.

I have no idea if Charles Sprinkle was part of those layoffs, but he founded Kali Audio after working on the JBL M2 and JBL Eon speakers.
It may be unfair to blame Samsung for everything bad happening at JBL. Greg Timbers was laid off on September 2015, while the Samsung-Harman M&A was approved by the board of directors on November 2016. And the motivation for the M&A was the in-vehicle technologies.

Let's think conversely about the 4305p and 4329p dsp speakers. Are they better because of the M&A? I personally do not think so, and I believe many others would agree with me.

I think JBL itself is mostly responsible for its current state of affairs, not because they were acquired by Samsung. All companies must adapt to survive. Sometimes they make the right choices, but other times they make the bad ones.

(*I edited paragraphs to make more smoothly)

Last edited:

CJPopovich

I picked up a pair of the 630's and the 698's, both just for fun. The 630's I casually listened to for a couple months before giving to a friend new to audio (with a Fosi bluetooth amp powering them). They did not sound obviously flawed like the measurement suggest, anecdotal not being worth much except to highlight that the value in being data driven does rely on the data being correct. I use Revel M126's and 105's in some of my other systems, so I didn't have much expectations for the 630's, just wanted to try them for fun. They ARE fun, big bass from a small speaker and the compression tweeter is, on a bad day, a very solid performer. I'm not super excited by speakers in that category, but I do enjoy touching them, listening to them, just getting to know them a bit. I guess most of us love speakers a drop or two. They were, to me, like a buddy's cool girlfriend who you like but, even if she weren't spoken for, wouldn't end up being your choice. Enter the 698's.

The 698's are a load of fun. I get decent response down to slightly below 40hz in my room/application. Abusing them with another $100 amazon bluetooth Fosi amp, they're part of a kitchen system and aimed at the wife while cooking/meal prep/etc. She likes to have fun and the 698's help her do it -they feel like they want to party. Rock, Latin, House, all result in a happy woman dancing in the kitchen. Put on some vocals or classical and that same trained musician-teacher-programmer-wife gives it a nod. She's forgiving (thank the lord), but I have to agree with her, the charts, the graphs, the price, they all simply confirm what you'll figure out when you listen to them with something that stirs your soul -these things are fun and I'm glad I picked up a pair. Thinking about sending a pair to a friend, half the fun is being the a-hole that is responsible for two enormous packages showing up.

I gave myself the luxury of buying them with little objective evidence, just a hope that a tower speaker from JBL with a good compression driver and a couple of 8" woofs would most likely be in the ballpart of "not so bad". I liked what I heard, but it's nice to see some evidence of liking the right things. Don't get me wrong, I like these suckas even if the world tells me they're NFG. What a fun speaker.

dan87951

I appreciate the offer. I have my crossover pulled but don't know how to reverse engineer it without any traces on the back of the circuit board. Any ideas?

Beave

Major Contributor
I appreciate the offer. I have my crossover pulled but don't know how to reverse engineer it without any traces on the back of the circuit board. Any ideas?

Oh, you have it pulled already? And the back doesn't show any traces? Can you share a pic of the back side?

If you have a multimeter, you could trace it out by looking at where each component connects to the next one.

Top Bottom