• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 630 and Studio 698 - Review & Measurements by Erin

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Must say though for people that use EQ its a very interesting choice without much competition in that price range as its directivity and multitone distortion even at 96 dB are surprisingly good, also I personally like it looks.

JeffGB

Very interesting. I have the JBL Studio 630 on my desk at the moment. I've only had them for a few days but am quite pleased with them. I've just put in the EQ that Erin suggested and it does make a nice improvement. I've been using a Fosi V3 but I just changed back to the Crown XLS 1500 (driven by Schiit Magnius for analog volume control and SMSL DO100 balanced DAC) and enjoy the sound more.

kongkong

Exactly. And indeed, best I can tell, Revel not developing anything new. Usually you hear rumors about this stuff, but nothing. Doesn’t help all of the JBL and Revel design legends have all been fired or left of their own accord.

Seems Samsung running Harman into the ground. Hope they don’t do same to Roon.
Is it up to Samsung? Maybe...
But many people are glad to pay 4312g and L classic series even if they just have different color.
JBl is also a company which get more money easily.

kongkong

4312G and L100 have different mid drivers, tweeters and crossovers.
I don't mean they are same.
There are new L100 and L100 black edition. New 4312g also has different color.
But price is quite different. Have you seen or read 'black edition' information? Just color is different.
My intention was I don't have any special expectation for nowdays JBL.

kongkong

Must say though for people that use EQ its a very interesting choice without much competition in that price range as its directivity and multitone distortion even at 96 dB are surprisingly good, also I personally like it looks.
And I also agree with you.
This 630 has good directivity and JBL 2414h has good performance.
With EQ, it will deliver good sound.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Is Revel even developing anything new or are they slowly fading away?
Revel has announced these speakers in September 2023:

RevelW126Be1.75k/each2-wayin-wall6.5"Link2023-09-07source
RevelW226Be2.25k/each2-wayin-wallDual 6.5"Link2023-09-07source
RevelW228Be3.5k/each3-wayin-wallDual 8"5.25"Link2023-09-07source
RevelC128Be1.5k/each2-wayin-ceiling8"Link2023-09-07source

These should have exceptional performance, based on Be lineup.

Here’s the flagship W228Be:
1703756020756.jpeg

MKR

Major Contributor
Revel has announced these speakers in September 2023:

RevelW126Be1.75k/each2-wayin-wall6.5"Link2023-09-07source
RevelW226Be2.25k/each2-wayin-wallDual 6.5"Link2023-09-07source
RevelW228Be3.5k/each3-wayin-wallDual 8"5.25"Link2023-09-07source
RevelC128Be1.5k/each2-wayin-ceiling8"Link2023-09-07source

These should have exceptional performance, based on Be lineup.

Here’s the flagship W228Be:
View attachment 337578
Ok, so now they focus on custom install market, not the same Revel, where is the new replacement for Ultima series? And don’t tell me Be series is replacement, it is not for my ears ;)

JoeSchmoe84

Oof. The 630 isn't great but the 530 is really rough. Actually aligns with my listening observations of the 530, though.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
But who is right?

I had very good listening sessions with the 530 and they match well to the BMR monitors. Not quite as accurate, but for how I will be using the 530s in my room I had no compunction about keeping them. My experience aligns much more closely with Amir's measurements.

Regardless, Erin said he never finished his review, seems like he cut short his measurements. so...

Loaded question...

Who do you trust?

:)

MarkS

Major Contributor
Doesn’t help all of the JBL and Revel design legends have all been fired or left of their own accord.
??? Sean Olive is still there, isn't he?

JoeSchmoe84

But who is right?

I had very good listening sessions with the 530 and they match well to the BMR monitors. Not quite as accurate, but for how I will be using the 530s in my room I had no compunction about keeping them. My experience aligns much more closely with Amir's measurements.

Regardless, Erin said he never finished his review, seems like he cut short his measurements. so...

Loaded question...

Who do you trust?

:)
I trust my own, personal evaluation. Especially since it is supported by Erin's data. But I auditioned my pair in the same general time period that Erin was conducting his review. I don't see the results as mutually exclusive, personally.

Either running production changes, or production variability could be to blame.

I have heard the original BMR's and they sounded nothing like what I heard from the 530's over my two weeks they were in my space. I enjoyed my buddy's BMR's greatly.

Beave

Major Contributor
??? Sean Olive is still there, isn't he?

Not sure, but he isn't/wasn't transducer or speaker designer/developer/tester, as far as I know. More focused on research into acoustics, hearing, preference, etc.

Beave

Major Contributor
Re: The discrepancy between Erin's 530 measurements and Amir's 530 measurements, I pointed out in the ASR Studio 530 review thread that the real difference between the two is that Erin's woofer levels measure about 3 dB lower than Amir's woofer level. That gives the impression of elevated treble in Erin's results, but it's really lowered woofer output. Increase the woofer output of Erin's results by 3dB up to the crossover and now they match Amir's much more closely.

As to *why* Erin's results show a 3dB lower woofer output, I have no idea. Tolerance issue? Driver change?

Beave

Major Contributor
Thanks. Notice how closely they match from that bump around 1.5kHz (right at the crossover) up to 20kHz. Notice how if you moved up the woofer output for Erin's results by 3dB how closely they would match there, too.

JoeSchmoe84

Thanks. Notice how closely they match from that bump around 1.5kHz (right at the crossover) up to 20kHz. Notice how if you moved up the woofer output for Erin's results by 3dB how closely they would match there, too.
I'm not seeing them as very similar, TBH. The prominent on-axis dip at 1.3khz in Erin's spin (along with accompanying ERDI response, which sees the accompanying DI 'bump' take a different shape and begin at a higher frequency) is meaningful to me. Amir measures a relatively minor stair-step in the passband at 1.4khz of +3.5dB. WHereas Erin measures an 8-8.5dB rise.

Same with the response above 10khz. The dip that Erin sees at ~12khz, Amir measures at ~10.5khz. Etc etc

Maybe Erin can comment on his acoustic center for calibration (is he active here again?)?

Reactions: GDK

Beave

Major Contributor
That prominent dip at 1.3kHz is right where the woofer's crossover is taking effect and rolling off the woofer output. It looks like the woofer is rolling off a tad early. Bump up the woofer output and increase the woofer passband just slightly, and it goes away. Makes me wonder if Erin's samples have out-of-spec crossovers.

JoeSchmoe84

That prominent dip at 1.3kHz is right where the woofer's crossover is taking effect and rolling off the woofer output. It looks like the woofer is rolling off a tad early. Bump up the woofer output and increase the woofer passband just slightly, and it goes away. Makes me wonder if Erin's samples have out-of-spec crossovers.
That is what i am thinking. And if he got them, that is what I heard as well in my pair.

An incorrect value inductor + resistor in the woofer low pass, and maybe an incorrect L-pad or Zobel on the tweeter high pass could be in the general range of discontinuities that could cause this, for example.

Top Bottom