• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 630 and Studio 698 - Review & Measurements by Erin

Azatto

Does anyone have a schematic of the crossover for the Studio 630?
I posted it in 3 page. Post #53. I taked it from my pair.
Here it is again. Cant measure inductance of coil in hipass filter. It probably arond 0.24mH

Attachments

• P31230-112804(1) (1).jpg
    P31230-112804(1) (1).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 25

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Guys, look at that DI curve! Look at the normalized horizontal polar! If you have access to EQ, it's going to be hard to find a better sounding speaker @ $350 per pair. We have to keep things in context of price here....

dan87951

I posted it in 3 page. Post #53. I taked it from my pair.
Here it is again. Cant measure inductance of coil in hipass filter. It probably arond 0.24mH

Thanks! Some of the values are different from my crossover.

The poly caps (yellow caps) on mine are labeled as being ".75mF" (you have .7mF), and ".51mF" (you have .5mF). Its a small difference but wondering if JBL has already revised the crossover?

I'm guessing the air core inductor is the one that your missing the value for? Mine has a sticker on it that states ".5mH" on it.

Azatto

I dont remember now, maybe I just interpretted capacitors value that way. Anyway its not a big deal, they are working with electrolitic caps which has much bigger tolerances.
You are right about air core inductor. Thanks for update.

dan87951

How did you trace this out? My board doesn't have the visible traces between components and using my DMM to do continuity tests between components wasn't helpful either, but I'm pretty new at this.

dan87951

The traces are on other side of the board. Have to unscrew it.
I did remove the the crossover board (pics included) and I couldn't see any visible traces between all of the parts. Maybe I'm missing something or don't know how to read the back of the board.

Ignore the Bevenbi cap because it didn't come with my speakers. I swapped mine out for testing purposes.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 36
  • crossover2.jpg
    crossover2.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 32
  • crossover3.jpg
    crossover3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 37
  • crossover4.jpg
    crossover4.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 38

Rick63

Guys, look at that DI curve! Look at the normalized horizontal polar! If you have access to EQ, it's going to be hard to find a better sounding speaker @ $350 per pair. We have to keep things in context of price here....

I agree. And I got my open box pair with zero blemishes for $331.

JeffGB

I did remove the the crossover board (pics included) and I couldn't see any visible traces between all of the parts. Maybe I'm missing something or don't know how to read the back of the board.

Ignore the Bevenbi cap because it didn't come with my speakers. I swapped mine out for testing purposes.
The large green"pads" that have solder points on them are the traces. They are just large to keep resistance low and to handle the high current. They are coated with a protective coating that is green. One slightly disturbing thing is the long wire ends of one of the components that have not been clipped off. You wouldn't want them to short to the other traces (the coating may lower the chance of that happening). I have the 630's as well, so I'll be interested in what you do.

dan87951

The large green"pads" that have solder points on them are the traces. They are just large to keep resistance low and to handle the high current. They are coated with a protective coating that is green. One slightly disturbing thing is the long wire ends of one of the components that have not been clipped off. You wouldn't want them to short to the other traces (the coating may lower the chance of that happening). I have the 630's as well, so I'll be interested in what you do.

Hi Jeff!

Yeah, I know where the solder points are, but I'm not seeing the "traces" that show the connection flow with other components. When I think of traces I think of clearly marked traces (see attached pic) that can easily be mapped out. I don't see that with this board at all. Maybe someone can take my picture and draw lines to show where the traces are because I don't see them. Maybe I'm blind? :)

I'm currently in the testing phase that's why the long wire leads haven't been clipped off.

Attachments

• PCB trace.jpg
    PCB trace.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

JeffGB

Hi Jeff!

Yeah, I know where the solder points are, but I'm not seeing the "traces" that show the connection flow with other components. When I think of traces I think of clearly marked traces (see attached pic) that can easily be mapped out. I don't see that with this board at all. Maybe someone can take my picture and draw lines to show where the traces are because I don't see them. Maybe I'm blind? :)

I'm currently in the testing phase that's why the long wire leads haven't been clipped off.
Hi Dan. The traces are the places the solder points are. They are more like "islands" in this case but serve the same purpose as the thin traces you were expecting. The area inside the red outline is the trace, for instance.

Attachments

• crossover4.jpg
    crossover4.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 15

JeffGB

You can actually see the value in the picture from post #79, it's 0.5mH

I'm wondering if the low sensitivity in the midrange is a driver issue or if it's caused by the crossover.

View attachment 365639
Thank you so much for the schematic! The 750nF and 510nF caps are incorrectly marked on your drawing. 1nF is equal to 1/1,000,000mF so they would actually be 750,000nF and 510,000nF. Thanks again for your work!

Beave

Major Contributor

Exactly. Those green islands ARE the traces. They are much thicker than the little lines you often see on circuit boards because there is a lot more current (amps) going through them than in, for example, the traces between a CPU and memory chips, where the current is milli-amps or even micro-amps.

Also, yes, those leads not being clipped off is really, really sloppy production.

@dan87951, you should clip those off with wire cutters so that they only stick out a couple of millimeters (like the other leads that were properly clipped off).

Edit to add: After looking closer, that appears to be the big cap C5. If you look at the top of the board, you see that there really isn't enough room for C5 to be installed cleanly because the air core inductor L4 is too big for the space it was allotted. Sloppy work there. Either the CAD model for the inductor is wrong or they switched inductors to a slightly bigger one and didn't go back and update the board layout.

In any case, yeah, clip those long leads to be shorter.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
And now I notice that the picture I posted yesterday shows a 6uF 100V cap for C5, whereas the pics posted today for dan's crossover show a 5.6uF 250V cap there.

The 5.6uF 250V cap is larger and that is part of why it doesn't fit the allocated space well (although the neighboring inductor is still too large for its space).

So they either made a running design change or they ran out of the original caps and used a close-enough replacement part.

(Edit: For clarity, the poster above has switched out the cap. Not something JBL did!)

Last edited:

dan87951

Exactly. Those green islands ARE the traces. They are much thicker than the little lines you often see on circuit boards because there is a lot more current (amps) going through them than in, for example, the traces between a CPU and memory chips, where the current is milli-amps or even micro-amps.

Also, yes, those leads not being clipped off is really, really sloppy production.

@dan87951, you should clip those off with wire cutters so that they only stick out a couple of millimeters (like the other leads that were properly clipped off).

Edit to add: After looking closer, that appears to be the big cap C5. If you look at the top of the board, you see that there really isn't enough room for C5 to be installed cleanly because the air core inductor L4 is too big for the space it was allotted. Sloppy work there. Either the CAD model for the inductor is wrong or they switched inductors to a slightly bigger one and didn't go back and update the board layout.

In any case, yeah, clip those long leads to be shorter.
As I told Jeff the reason why the leads haven't been clipped off is because I'm still in the testing phase. I'm testing and measuring different caps. I'm not going to clip the leads until its final. Sorry, but that's what I do. :)

Beave

Major Contributor
Oh, I missed that entirely. Sorry! :facepalm:

Why are you testing and measuring different caps there?

Top Bottom