• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well one of mines gone tits up , the little base mid driver is all distorted . Never abused them .
Seems you told me that story once before. JK LOL

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well one of mines gone tits up , the little base mid driver is all distorted . Never abused them .

Lowering my already low opinion of JBL build quality.

Well that really sucks.

It is unfortunately accurate that a several people here have reported reliability problems with the powered 7-series. (Nobody has done so concerning the i-models; I may be the only person here with an i-model however.) I am an unabashed fan of 705/708 sound quality, but that must give one pause.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reliability can't be too bad, or the market would be flooded with b-stock. They sold out quickly, though.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lowering my already low opinion of JBL build quality.
That sucks. Just outside the warranty period no doubt as well. If they are just outside the warrantee I still recommend contacting them, occasionally you get good service, and I've had good (they fixed it properly for nothing) out of warranty support from Samsung FWIW.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looking on the bright side, all you need is one speaker to conduct Harman-style listening tests!

They couldn't find two that worked?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really enjoyed listening today. Didn't want to get up and go to work. Now that I've moved them, I need to redo Dirac.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
I was a little surprised Harman didn’t have anything like those on their website. Just a tripod, but I was hoping for something more domestic.
Your link looks a lot like these. Think it’s the same?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have steel stands I bought 20 years ago. Put some kitty litter in the hollow interior. Seem to work fine for the 708. I figure anything will do.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yes. Something basic will do. The JBL website showed only a tripod. I don’t need portable, and I’d like something a little more domestic than a tripod, even though 705p isn’t really a domestic consumer product. Sure, there are more stand options out there than you can shake a stick at, but sometimes you buy something that looks like sturdy quality on the website, but when it gets delivered it turns out to be cheap and chintzy. And some of the glass stands, for example, look nice and can support the weight of a 705p, but not the weight of a 708p. So, I thought maybe someone could say, “I got this one, and it’s well made, affordable, and fits nicely.”
I think I’ll go with the Monoprice steel.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes. Something basic will do. The JBL website showed only a tripod. I don’t need portable, and I’d like something a little more domestic than a tripod, even though 705p isn’t really a domestic consumer product. Sure, there are more stand options out there than you can shake a stick at, but sometimes you buy something that looks like sturdy quality on the website, but when it gets delivered it turns out to be cheap and chintzy. And some of the glass stands, for example, look nice and can support the weight of a 705p, but not the weight of a 708p. So, I thought maybe someone could say, “I got this one, and it’s well made, affordable, and fits nicely.”

Also, they are all threaded for mounting bolts, so that may be an option depending.

I've got my 708's sitting on top of a pair of the old tubular HSU subs...actually works great.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think you'll find you'll be happy with them. I'm pretty sure they come from the same manufactuer in China as the Audio Advisor's, they sure look and measure exactly the same in the specs, I was surprised at the much lower pricing though.
My opinion on stands is that if they are sturdy and do a good job of holding a speaker stable, that's all that counts beyond being reasonably attractive to the buyers eye.
I'll not sure of any audibility, but I do believe it possible for a speakers mounting to modify it's in-room sound. My mechanical mind tells me that the wavefront's air pressure coming off the drivers will try to rock a speaker back and forth. If this were to happen in a appreciable amount the wavefront would be modulated by the speakers movement.
If you want to get anal, fill the towers with buckshot from a gun reloading supply store and either bolt or Bluetac the speaker to the stand top. Use your best idea for the base, spikes, etc.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anyone found floor stands they especially like for the 705p?

These are the LSR305s on the Panagea DS100 from Audio Advisor. Essentially the DS400 but with only one upright. The top plate is 6 x 6 inches rather than 6 x 8.5 inches as supplied with the DS400. Four 1 cm or so balls of Blu Tack on each corner secures them very well.

I calculated the internal volume of the 28" upright and it would require 9 lb of typical dry sand, which has 1/3 the bulk density of steel shot...so if you filled all 4 on the DS400 or the Monolith equivalent, that would be around 100 lb per stand.
LSR 305s.JPG

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When discussing stands one should keep in mind the height of the stand Aside from the obvious supporting purpose , many speakers need to be placed at a correct height.
Height adjustability should be, in my opinion, a requirement in speaker stands.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When discussing stands one should keep in mind the height of the stand Aside from the obvious supporting purpose , many speakers need to be placed at a correct height.
Height adjustability should be, in my opinion, a requirement in speaker stands.

Or you simply measure your ear height at your listening position and calculate the fixed height required to put the tweeter at that ear level.

If you are listening at 8 feet from the monitor, +/- 2 degrees from being dead on axis translates to +/- 3.5 inches in speaker height.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m not especially anal retentive about things like this. I wasn’t going to mention it, but since the topic came up, I’ll add a link to the well known Stereophile speaker-stand interface measurements by JA here. I think he fills the stand with shot and then sand to fill in the air space more completely. Lead is denser, but more expensive, than steel.
Adjustable height probably is the best way to go for precise placement, especially if you ever change furniture at the listening position, or ever change out to speakers with a different height or different driver configuration. But I simply measured ear-to-floor and got the fixed height. It’s still a guess, because I won’t have the speaker in my hands for a month (currently back ordered) and while the website and owners manual specify the outer dimensions of the cabinet, the exact distance of the tweeter center to the cabinet bottom isn’t published. But 28 inches looks reasonable for L/R and surrounds in a typical room, and 24 inches for the center channel.
It’s good to know I have +/- 3.5 inches.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It’s good to know I have +/- 3.5 inches.

I hope someone doesnt try to make some kind of juvenile joke...because that's no laughing matter...

;)

Top Bottom