• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Jaimo

Today I moved some furniture and spread the speakers apart to get more of an equilateral triangle for my listening position. Carefully aimed them too. Sounded tons better. Sat and listened for an hour.

My 708P's are in an equilateral arrangement but the stereo image works best in my room with the speakers pointing straight ahead.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 708P's are in an equilateral arrangement but the stereo image works best in my room with the speakers pointing straight ahead.

I haven't experimented. I'm not sure why it would be better that way.

Icboschert

Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well one of mines gone tits up , the little base mid driver is all distorted . Never abused them .

Lowering my already low opinion of JBL build quality.

Uh. I just got myself a 3rd 708p for the center channel. My first died but luckily was under warranty and JBL replaced it. Fingers crossed!

D

Deleted member 2944

Drop kick them into a skip and get a decent speaker lol
A rather expensive speaker to write off. Why not investigate a replacement as member "stunta" did? These are not low-quality speakers and a repair seems viable/proper.

Or are you just interested in making smart-alec remarks?

Dave.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
A rather expensive speaker to write off. Why not investigate a replacement as member "stunta" did? These are not low-quality speakers and a repair seems viable/proper.

Or are you just interested in making smart-alec remarks?

Dave.
Well I'm not interested in rude folks thanks .

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Uh. I just got myself a 3rd 708p for the center channel. My first died but luckily was under warranty and JBL replaced it. Fingers crossed!
Good luck , mine arrived with a fault and ones now toast .

It's the driver I believe , I might get it repaired. Having one is kinda useless.

I would not recommend them to anyone , the cheap little 305 and 308 are worth a punt but the build quality is no better in the 7 series IME.

D

Deleted member 2944

It's the driver I believe , I might get it repaired. Having one is kinda useless.
I would not recommend them to anyone , the cheap little 305 and 308 are worth a punt but the build quality is no better in the 7 series IME.
That shows how little you know about the speakers.
The 7 series are outfitted with much superior drivers and build quality. (I've looked at the internals on both.)

I doubt the driver has failed (protection in the amplifier module is built in), but you could easily determine this by temporarily removing the amplifier and testing the driver with an alternate amplifier.
Then, I would suggest you contact JBL and get your bad speaker repaired/replaced and then cut your losses and sell them on.

Dave.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That shows how little you know about the speakers.
The 7 series are outfitted with much superior drivers and build quality. (I've looked at the internals on both.)

I doubt the driver has failed (protection in the amplifier module is built in), but you could easily determine this by temporarily removing the amplifier and testing the driver with an alternate amplifier.
Then, I would suggest you contact JBL and get your bad speaker repaired/replaced and then cut your losses and sell them on.

Dave.
Condescending now, joyous.

There's two people in this thread with 5 speakers between them , two have failed one twice.

We clearly have different values.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm sorry to hear of these troubles...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well one of mines gone tits up , the little base mid driver is all distorted . Never abused them .

Lowering my already low opinion of JBL build quality.

That really does suck...

Hopefully mine will continue to hold up.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of mine refurbished did come bad. I got a new replacement. It works great so far. They do sound wonderful. My old McIntosh speakers still work, but they sound far from wonderful.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Do you just do 3.5mm on the Pre side and then bare wire going into relay? Or does the relay take a 3.5mm input?
Yes, Bare wire on the relay side. ;)

Top Bottom