• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Jaimo

For the record, My pair of 308P's are still functioning well and more importantly, still sound wonderful. Just wish I had more time to spend in my listening chair with a remote in one hand and a G&T in the other.

This system is a huge departure from my previous systems - minimalism being the key word here vs my "too many boxes" tube bi-amped vinyl playback system driving a pair of Maggies and needing a dedicated room.

Olli

Forum Donor
the 'i' version requires JBL's DSP file to run. Usually only runs in the Crown amps I believe

I have both the 705i and the 705p. I run my „i“ with a Hypex 252 amp single wired using Audiolense for EQ and such. I compared this to bi-amping with active XO‘s before I went with single wiring and the internal passive XO, it made little/no difference. Thanks to @mitchco for helping with the analysis.

6D0F082B-F9F0-484E-8BDF-E080273CA14F.jpeg

6C9C98B3-2AA0-40D9-80E3-BEB778D095F6.jpeg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I understand what your saying, the only thing is the failures reported here are statisically high for the number of members reporting. The ones I'm aware of are mainly longer term members, not people who can here looking for a reason to rant.. I'd say the numbers reporting failures vs the ones who have reported no problems is roughly 50/50, not a good number. But then I working from memory and I'm about 6 months away from total hard drive failure. ;)

They do come up more often than I'd have hoped...

I have 9 of those powered 7 series speakers, all bought B-stock (maybe they had extra QC?), and have been fortunate so far.

It's probably just good clean living. Can't think of what else it could be. I mean...just look at who is experiencing failures...;)

LDKTA

I see your point. More people are generally vocal about issues than those coming online and declaring their speakers work as they should. I think the irritation here, at least for me, comes from having owned other speakers that are very high quality in the builds with no issues over a decade of use. The fact that I have to keep backup speakers is a bad sign. Its not pleasant living with fragile gear and its not fun not having them around while waiting for repair - and this has happened to me twice. At 4K USD a pair, I just have higher expectations - JBL needs to figure out what is going wrong and if its a bad batch and issue a recall if that is case.

Understood. I wholeheartedly agree.

philosobyte

Add me to the list of people who haven't had issues with my pair of 705Ps.
In addition, I guess it's as good a time as any to share my REW measurements at 1m. I have them at one end of a 15' x 30' living room/dining room area. The ceilings vault up from 9' to around 13', I think, and the speakers are right in front of a 6' window. I have no acoustic treatment.

I find it interesting that, unlike Amir's measurement, and just like the official Harman and the third-party anechoic chamber measurements, I have no egregious rise after the 750Hz dip. Could be a result of my measurements not being anechoic though.
1592053016832.png

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I have both the 705i and the 705p. I run my „i“ with a Hypex 252 amp single wired using Audiolense for EQ and such. I compared this to bi-amping with active XO‘s before I went with single wiring and the internal passive XO, it made little/no difference. Thanks to @mitchco for helping with the analysis.

View attachment 68634

View attachment 68635
Fascinating. So you can run straight power to it without EQ and it measures fine for the most part?

Olli

Forum Donor

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those who have good 705/708p's for years, just wondering if you keep the speakers on all the time? Or turn them off when not in use?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
For those who have good 705/708p's for years, just wondering if you keep the speakers on all the time? Or turn them off when not in use?

I generally turn mine on in the morning and off at night.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a suspicion this might be an issue given I leave mine on all the time, but didn’t have a way to confirm. I assumed that studios would also leave their equipment on. I am also wary of turning things on and off too frequently. I’ve kept other audio equipment on (except when I am traveling) for years without issues

mi-fu

Forum Donor
As 705/708p are designed for studio use (and they also have ceiling mounts), it *should be* okay to turn them on all the time.

But I find that the back of 705 can be quite warm from time to time. I just wonder if this can be an issue.

@Thomas savage, did you you keep your 705p on all the time in the past?

LDKTA

I turn them off when not in use, however, at times they can be on for a day or two.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They do come up more often than I'd have hoped...

I have 9 of those powered 7 series speakers, all bought B-stock (maybe they had extra QC?), and have been fortunate so far.

It's probably just good clean living. Can't think of what else it could be. I mean...just look at who is experiencing failures...;)
Do you know for sure why these items were labeled B stock? IME you never can tell for sure, they could have been refurb's that failed and since they see quite a few, know how to fix them to a more reliable configuration?
Just a thought.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do you know for sure why these items were labeled B stock? IME you never can tell for sure, they could have been refurb's that failed and since they see quite a few, know how to fix them to a more reliable configuration?
Just a thought.

No idea at all...just snatched up a few when they showed up on the 'Deals...' thread, then liked them so much I bought a few more on the next sale. Returns of any kind I'd guess, but I really don't know. None seemed scuffed or abused in any way...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a suspicion this might be an issue given I leave mine on all the time, but didn’t have a way to confirm. I assumed that studios would also leave their equipment on. I am also wary of turning things on and off too frequently. I’ve kept other audio equipment on (except when I am traveling) for years without issues
I used to leave everything on when I was home but for over 10 years now I switch everything off except my TV and Prepro which I leave in standby.
I switch off at the mains plug too.
So far no problems doing this except a JOB PREamp which sometimes blows a fuse when powered up (they recommend it is left on all the time) but it is only a backup and hardly ever used.
I think maybe my Devialet Phantoms might update themselves automatically if left in standby, but I don't...

Palladium

Or previous leadership, pre-Samsung...
Under Samsung, we've seen some innovative speakers come out. Time will tell if Samsung's electronics manufacturing know-how trickles down into Harman. Since Harman is run semi-independently, it might not.

It's personal anecdote but I found the reliability of Samsung products to be subpar.

Top Bottom