• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard hisss from other speakers for reference? Does it hiss anywhere near a JBL LSR308 for example?

I can hear the hiss from one, maybe two feet away, with an ear facing the speaker. This is with a digital input, so no signal. Gain set to maximum. My new JBL 104 on maximum gain unplugged have an audible hiss to around 8 feet.

Jaimo

Just sold my LSR308's so I can't check. If my memory serves me well, the LSR 308's hiss was a bit louder but not to the point that it was an issue. I used both speakers in a stereo configuration, sitting approx 10 feet away. @stevenswall - Are you using the monitors in a nearfield application?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know the speaker designs discussed here are high efficiency horn/waveguide types but I still can't understand why many of these manufacturers can't seem to include a quiet amp for use in the powered types? I'm not a EE or amp designer but have run 104db La Scalas and only had noise issues with a few tube amps. My current HSU speakers use a horn on the top end, are rated at 92 db 2.83v in half space, and if I stick my ear in the horn I can just barely detect a slight hiss using my 35 yo Adcom SS amps.
I know the JBLs are very highly rated for their SQ, but having intrusive audible noise levels in 2019 is inexcusable JMO

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the JBLs are very highly rated for their SQ, but having intrusive audible noise levels in 2019 is inexcusable JMO
Agree. The 305p, 306p and 708p all have hiss. I had to turn my 708p speakers off the other day because it was quiet in the house and I could hear them from 4 feet away and I was trying to meditate.

dwalme

The 7 series are noticable better with hiss than the 3 series or the Kali monitors.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can hear the hiss from one, maybe two feet away, with an ear facing the speaker. This is with a digital input, so no signal. Gain set to maximum. My new JBL 104 on maximum gain unplugged have an audible hiss to around 8 feet.

What about normal gain? I swear the pair my roommate just got don't have as much hiss as most monitors. Same thing with a Harman Kardon Soundsticks set. No offensive hiss. EDIT: His computer fan was obscuring it a bit. I'd put it lower than a 308, but higher than a Mackie HR824 set at halfway. All the way up, the hiss is worse, perhaps on par with a Kali IN-8.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what "normal gain" is. Nothing is trimmed. All is at the max as I understand. They're not perfectly quiet but they're quiet.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. The 305p, 306p and 708p all have hiss. I had to turn my 708p speakers off the other day because it was quiet in the house and I could hear them from 4 feet away and I was trying to meditate.

This is ridiculous. I'd love to be an intern for JBL or Kali and get feedback and compare their stuff to competitors, but it sounds like hiss is their last priority, or perhaps their target market doesn't care in the least.

Just sold my LSR308's so I can't check. If my memory serves me well, the LSR 308's hiss was a bit louder but not to the point that it was an issue. I used both speakers in a stereo configuration, sitting approx 10 feet away. @stevenswall - Are you using the monitors in a nearfield application?

Yes, I'd be using them nearfield, and periodically moving them to a living room for movie night.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what "normal gain" is. Nothing is trimmed. All is at the max as I understand. They're not perfectly quiet but they're quiet.

Half way up. Or the source all the way up, and your speakers playing at a moderate volume, then unplug the source. I'll ask my roommate to listen again when he gets home.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
Have you heard hisss from other speakers for reference? Does it hiss anywhere near a JBL LSR308 for example?

The Mackie HR824 is about the line for me, any more hiss and I can't stand it. Looking at getting a 708P but need it to not hiss. The IN-8 I just tried hisses enough that I can hear it over the fridge noise in the kitchen that is adjacent to the living room.

From most hiss to least hiss: (All inputs disconnected. With and without ground plug removed. Power Conditioner didn't change anything.)

Kali Audio IN-8, JBL LSR308, Mackie HR824, Genelec 8040, Elac Navis

Would REW measurements from a UMIK help? ie: 1" , 1', 2' from horn, etc?
I consider them to be quiet, but that's with MY ears. My prior reference was a set of passive Alesis monitors with a PS Audio HCA-2 amp.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Half way up. Or the source all the way up, and your speakers playing at a moderate volume, then unplug the source. I'll ask my roommate to listen again when he gets home.
Changing the input trim to -24db with the source off makes no difference. This is just noise they make while idling. I live in the countryside, so the noise floor is extremely low. Appliance pumps and light bulb hum are the loudest things usually.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I leave my 708Ps (and other equipment) always on. Any thoughts on whether the constant hiss will reduce the lifetime of the speakers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Any thoughts on whether the constant hiss will reduce the lifetime of the speakers?
I can't see how that would be a issue. If it was very loud it might cause a heat buildup in the voice coils but not at these levels.

Jaimo

I leave my 708Ps (and other equipment) always on. Any thoughts on whether the constant hiss will reduce the lifetime of the speakers?

No issues with leaving the 70xP's powered on except that they go into some kind of protective / low power mode after many days of no use. It took me several minutes to figure this out after I hadn't used the speakers for several weeks. The volume level was suddenly very low and the only way I could restore operation was to cycle the power.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No issues with leaving the 70xP's powered on except that they go into some kind of protective / low power mode after many days of no use. It took me several minutes to figure this out after I hadn't used the speakers for several weeks. The volume level was suddenly very low and the only way I could restore operation was to cycle the power.

I didn't know they have this function. Thanks for the note.

The back panel of 705s is rather warm, so usually I would turn it off after use. But I don't think there should be any problem of keeping it on all the time, as the speakers are designed to be hung on ceiling. Hard to believe people will have it on and off every time after use :D

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have mine on a smart plug. I try to remember to turn them off.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I moved some furniture and spread the speakers apart to get more of an equilateral triangle for my listening position. Carefully aimed them too. Sounded tons better. Sat and listened for an hour.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Jaimo

Top Bottom