• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I realize that I might be talking out of my ass here. But the limited bass extension in these speakers could be because they are first and foremost voiced for the Japanese market. Big speakers in tiny appartements.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure the frequency response is the same in all countries, including Japan.

One serious note about the plot I posted. My setup is designed with subwoofers in mind. I use high pass filters on the R/L and low pass on the subs. So my speaker position isn't concerned with getting the lowest extension. I actually get a reflection off my ceiling on both speakers with an Allison effect around 80hz. I do use some absorption on the ceiling covered with diffusion to mitigate this effect. So I position things partly to take advantage of that ceiling trap. However, there is another Allison effect off the wall behind MLP at around 40hz. This most likely explains why just the R/L speakers (without crossovers to subs) drop off so fast below 40hz. I bet I could reposition the speaker's to get good bass down to 30hz. But I don't care about that due to my setup.

Also, remember these are two way speakers with HUGE dynamics. Most two ways are a joke when it comes to bass. Sure some folks think their two ways "get low", but when it's time to crank out some "Bun up the Dance" from Dillon Francis, their girly speakers want to cry.

I realize that I might be talking out of my ass here. But the limited bass extension in these speakers could be because they are first and foremost voiced for the Japanese market. Big speakers in tiny appartements.

Last edited:

Dynamix

I'm pretty sure the frequency response is the same in all countries, including Japan.

Oh, yes certainly. I'm just saying that because JBL's main market for higher-end speaker systems is in asia these days, they are specifically voiced for smaller rooms, and not for huge american "Mc Mansion" livingrooms. Possibly.

There are plenty of JBL speakers that are almost exclusively sold on the asian market. I personally own a pair of 4319's that up until a few years ago were only available in asia. Now they are also sold in europe, but not in the Americas.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
No, like all passive speakers, they are governed by Hoffmans iron law, which is the relationship between size, sensitivity and bass extension. These get down to 40Hz, which is probably sufficient for most music. No "voicing" as far as bass extension is concerned. Response looks pretty textbook elsewhere...
It is audiophile folklore myth that large speakers shouldn't be used in small rooms. The Japanese have it right.

cheers,

AJ

Dynamix

No, like all passive speakers, they are governed by Hoffmans iron law, which is the relationship between size, sensitivity and bass extension. These get down to 40Hz, which is probably sufficient for most music. No "voicing" as far as bass extension is concerned. Response looks pretty textbook elsewhere...
It is audiophile folklore myth that large speakers shouldn't be used in small rooms. The Japanese have it right.

cheers,

AJ

All good points. Like I said I could have been talking out of my ass, and I probably was. :D

And yes, the Japanese certainly have it right. That's kinda what I was trying to say.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I'm going to demo a new Luxman amp and the Audionet Max amps with these speakers next week. If I pick Luxman, my system will have fully migrated to Japan.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I'm going to demo a new Luxman amp and the Audionet Max amps with these speakers next week. If I pick Luxman, my system will have fully migrated to Japan.
Amp roller Michael?
Almost afraid to ask what's wrong with the one you have now, whatever that might be...

Dynamix

Amp roller Michael?
Almost afraid to ask what's wrong with the one you have now, whatever that might be...

Nothing wrong with buying stuff "just because". I'm actually thinking about getting a Luxman L-505ux for my 4319's. Not that I really need it, because my old Primare A30.1 is doing a great job, but because I like shiny Japanese stuff. I can live with that. I have character flaws much worse than that. :D

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Nothing wrong with buying stuff "just because". I'm actually thinking about getting a Luxman L-505ux for my 4319's. Not that I really need it, because my old Primare A30.1 is doing a great job, but because I like shiny Japanese stuff. I can live with that. I have character flaws much worse than that. :D
Exactly and those VU meters! I will hear the Luxman 700u this weekend. I am demoing the audionet max amps in my system now. Even with DSP and the same target curve, there are subtle differences with different amps. In the last two weeks I've had the Dartzeel 108, the Mola Mola Kaluga (I've owned for 18 months) and the Audionet Max. They all sound a little different.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Nothing wrong with buying stuff "just because".
Didn't imply otherwise. I fully agree, be it a $100k DAC or a $100k diamond ring.
Folks should buy whatever makes them happiest. I have the same cables as Michael.:cool:
I will only take exception to false objective claims. Someone claims they enjoy wearing their Patek more than a Casio watch...all good. Claim Patek keeps "better" or more "accurate" time than a Casio...watch out!:)

cheers,

AJ

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I had to get longer cables so I'm using some kimber select cables now. I honestly don't hear much difference between them and the Mgaudio cables. Kimber cables do have pretty good specs tho. There was a 1991 speaker cable measurement shootout published in the AES journal and the kimber cables measured best. I'm not saying they are sonically better tho. In that test the flat planar cables had by far the most capacitance of any cable tests.

Didn't imply otherwise. I fully agree, be it a $100k DAC or a $100k diamond ring.
Folks should buy whatever makes them happiest. I have the same cables as Michael.:cool:
I will only take exception to false objective claims. Someone claims they enjoy wearing their Patek more than a Casio watch...all good. Claim Patek keeps "better" or more "accurate" time than a Casio...watch out!:)

cheers,

AJ

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Luxman and Audionet look pretty standard A/B, the Dartzeel has a relatively high output impedance , not in the same league as a valve amp, but high for solid state.
I have just ordered Phisons new amp,the A2.120 won't be here for a couple of weeks though, not having much luck with JBL Uk though ,it is almost as though they don't want to sell loudspeakers!
Very odd!
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I had to get longer cables so I'm using some kimber select cables now. I honestly don't hear much difference between them and the Mgaudio cables.
Good. I have yet to see any reliable evidence to suggest otherwise, unless absolute pathological (audiophile) scenario. They look good and the build quality is excellent. I hear/measure no deficiency in the sound. One less thing for believers to fret about.
I only use the speaker cables for passive speaker demos, my own system is active, so no speaker cables (well except for the rear channels, but no need for fancy cables there in my universe).

There was a 1991 speaker cable measurement shootout published in the AES journal and the kimber cables measured best. I'm not saying they are sonically better tho. In that test the flat planar cables had by far the most capacitance of any cable tests.
Competently designed electronics can tolerate swings in LCR values between them without audio consequences. That does not mean that it isn't possible to design an "audible" cable or "revealing" component when attached. In fact, the opposite, in "high end" world.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kimber also has high capacitance I believe?
In domestic lengths cable with 'normal' electrical parameters will be audibly transparent although as AJ said if you ori at it you can get them to sound different.
Keith.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
The Luxman 700u is a great match for the JBL 4367. It's all very natural. I love it! I wonder how the 900u sounds? I guess I'll find out soon. :rolleyes:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Sure, but only if you promise to derail it occasionally with capacitor talk. :D
Looking good Michael.

Say, with more and more owners of the JBL 4376, how about we create a dedicated thread for it?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes a dedicated thread would be great, I want to replace my fancy dans with these bruisers.

Such is my desperation for trouble free listening these JBL's are looking more beautiful every day :D

Might be our first circle jerk thread :eek::D

Better get ready chaps:)

Top Bottom