• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Clone

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, I got my head on straight now (mostly). Thanks for the education. You may have saved me from futile shopping for expensive 8" midranges.;)
It's possible to make some pretty nice waveguides to match with 8" mid woofers :)

T34B 8inch.png

Robh3606

Odd, I thought the directivity mismatch between the large woofer and the D2 at 800 Hz was one of the big compromises JBL made in this speaker. My thought was a 6-8" would be a better match, I got the 5" mids for so cheap I couldn't resist trying (especially since it took a while to get the woofers;)).

Hello

The 15" to waveguide DI works out very well. Look at the classic 4430/35 designs from the 80's. One of the biggest strengths is the waveguides DI and dropping in a mid would cause you to have a crossover point in the waveguides range say 1.5 - 2K so you would be trying to match there. I doubt you could get a match be as good as the waveguide itself. I would get the "stock" system up and running first.

As far as issues with the 2216Nd I certainly have not had any issues audibly from them. If you want to try to get a mid in there have at it but I don't think the basic design is that flawed that it "needs" one.

Rob :)

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Hello

The 15" to waveguide DI works out very well. Look at the classic 4430/35 designs from the 80's. One of the biggest strengths is the waveguides DI and dropping in a mid would cause you to have a crossover point in the waveguides range say 1.5 - 2K so you would be trying to match there. I doubt you could get a match be as good as the waveguide itself. I would get the "stock" system up and running first.

As far as issues with the 2216Nd I certainly have not had any issues audibly from them. If you want to try to get a mid in there have at it but I don't think the basic design is that flawed that it "needs" one.

I am realizing all that now. The mid isn’t working well. Which is just fine.;)

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
It's possible to make some pretty nice waveguides to match with 8" mid woofers :)
OK, my next learning project.
For now, finishing the 2-way M2 is fun. I can play around with additional configurations later.

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I've been enjoying the DIY M2's. I've abandoned the 3-way version!!!:) (for now...;)) I'm using the exact JBL PEQ from the JBL M2 active crossover settings doc. I add a simple PEQ for the bass since I have a sealed cabinet (I'm about to start on the finished version of the cabinets). I use a MiniDSP Flex balanced and implement the M2 input and output-channel PEQ with the built-in filters. The FIR filter block is used for the active crossovers.
1689552245043.png

I've played around with a few other PEQ, and have been experimenting getting closer to ideal crossover acoustic response slopes, but the JBL PEQ sound fantastic and I haven't invented a better sounding speaker yet!:) I've been meaning to post measurements... In the meantime...
I had been wondering about the odd resonance Erin measured at 270Hz. He commented on the resonance, and measured the woofer in the ported M2 cabinet and saw that it went away when measured free-air. I did a frequency sweep of the 2216Nd in the sealed enclosure I made and I see a small resonance at 270Hz, but it's only 10-20% of the magnitude that Erin measured in the JBL M2 ported cabinet. Here is my measurement vs. what Erin published (stretched to match x- and y-scales):
1689551169420.png

I'm not clear why my sealed boxes have similar but smaller resonance as the much taller ported M2 cabinets. Is it the port?
JBL%20M2%20Nearfield%20DriverPorts%20Measurement%20%28~2cm%20from%20DUT%29.png

Like Erin, I think the speaker sounds fantastic and I can't hear issues in music or sweeps. But I can't figure out the resonance and it seems it's not the height of the speaker like was suggested. And why it shows up but much lower magnitude in a small sealed enclosure.

mtg90

Where was the speaker positioned while you tested the impedance? With large pro sound drivers like this I've noticed even reflections from the room/floor can cause a visible ripple in the measured impedance.

Otherwise what's the internal depth of your cabinet? Is it around 12.5"?

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Where was the speaker positioned while you tested the impedance? With large pro sound drivers like this I've noticed even reflections from the room/floor can cause a visible ripple in the measured impedance.

Otherwise what's the internal depth of your cabinet? Is it around 12.5"?
The speaker was about 3 feet off the floor... I was trying to make sure it was reasonably decoupled.
11.5" internal depth. My sealed cabinets are 1" less deep compared to the JBL M2 ported cabinet.
Are you thinking the ~560Hz and 270Hz that I labeled above in the graph are related, perhaps half and quarter the wavelength of the internal cabinet depth?

mtg90

That's the thought I had.

If you have damping in there that can be easily removed you could try pulling it out and measuring again, if the bumps change in size/intensity that may provide some insight.

gruggn

Hi @MAB,

Good job, I bet they sound spectacular!

I have been thinking about building myself a pair of M2's.

Did you DIY the physical passive crossover network? If so, did you buy off the shelf components for this?

I live in Sweden so it will be quite the investment to import the parts from the US, every bit helps.

Did you make your own plans for the cabinet or did you source them from somewhere?

Again, good job with the project!

Regards,
Fredrik

I've been enjoying the DIY M2's. I've abandoned the 3-way version!!!:) (for now...;)) I'm using the exact JBL PEQ from the JBL M2 active crossover settings doc. I add a simple PEQ for the bass since I have a sealed cabinet (I'm about to start on the finished version of the cabinets). I use a MiniDSP Flex balanced and implement the M2 input and output-channel PEQ with the built-in filters. The FIR filter block is used for the active crossovers.
View attachment 299560
I've played around with a few other PEQ, and have been experimenting getting closer to ideal crossover acoustic response slopes, but the JBL PEQ sound fantastic and I haven't invented a better sounding speaker yet!:) I've been meaning to post measurements... In the meantime...
I had been wondering about the odd resonance Erin measured at 270Hz. He commented on the resonance, and measured the woofer in the ported M2 cabinet and saw that it went away when measured free-air. I did a frequency sweep of the 2216Nd in the sealed enclosure I made and I see a small resonance at 270Hz, but it's only 10-20% of the magnitude that Erin measured in the JBL M2 ported cabinet. Here is my measurement vs. what Erin published (stretched to match x- and y-scales):
View attachment 299559
I'm not clear why my sealed boxes have similar but smaller resonance as the much taller ported M2 cabinets. Is it the port?
JBL%20M2%20Nearfield%20DriverPorts%20Measurement%20%28~2cm%20from%20DUT%29.png

Like Erin, I think the speaker sounds fantastic and I can't hear issues in music or sweeps. But I can't figure out the resonance and it seems it's not the height of the speaker like was suggested. And why it shows up but much lower magnitude in a small sealed enclosure.

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Hi @MAB,

Good job, I bet they sound spectacular!

I have been thinking about building myself a pair of M2's.

Did you DIY the physical passive crossover network? If so, did you buy off the shelf components for this?

I live in Sweden so it will be quite the investment to import the parts from the US, every bit helps.

Did you make your own plans for the cabinet or did you source them from somewhere?

Again, good job with the project!

Regards,
Fredrik
Thanks Fredrik.
They do sound great, beyond my expectations.
No need to buy the crossovers, I built my own with an 8uF capacitor and a some non-inductive resistors
1689621441959.png

For instance:

The crossover document by @pos is incredibly valuable:

1689619634181.png

Note: JBL's own literature has the wrong cap value!
I use a MiniDSP flex balanced. I apply the crossovers with the FIR blocks, and the PEQ using MiniDSP's filter blocks. The Flex doesn't have enough FIR taps to do the entire crossover and PEQ exactly as spec'ed in the RePhase document.

The cabinet plans are my own and are just a sealed (instead of ported) cabinet with Q~0.75 and the same baffle width and lens-to-woofer spacing. Ported you need to source the special JBL ports (3D printed), or go with an off-the shelf port, and potentially listen to port noises. In any case I tend to prefer sealed with PEQ. I EQ the bass to reconstruct the ported response of the M2. As a result, I have less peak output... for me, I don't need more output! I will eventually integrate subs, which will make the loss of output with sealed alignment even less of an issue for me. They play loud, effortlessly, tirelessly, etc. as-is.

Many pages of instructions, discussions, and diversions are all here:

Last edited:

Robh3606

Nice project! I wonder about the Imp spikes as well?? Look at the JBL raw data?? I also did a passive version and I don't see them in my curves at all?? I am in a reflex enclosure but I have 3 1/2 of fill right behind the woofer.

Attachments

• EDS JBL 2216Nd_Page_12.jpg
    EDS JBL 2216Nd_Page_12.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Imp 200-600 Pair.JPG
    Imp 200-600 Pair.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Nice project! I wonder about the Imp spikes as well?? Look at the JBL raw data?? I also did a passive version and I don't see them in my curves at all?? I am in a reflex enclosure but I have 3 1/2 of fill right behind the woofer.

Yeah, the resonance shows up on JBL's measurement of the raw driver too. But is dramatically elevated on their M2 speaker.
The second impedance plot is your woofer with the passive crossover, right? And it's a simulation or measurement? In any case, I think this is different than a measurement of the raw driver's impedance...

beatelund

Forum Donor
3x 2216
green from 2022
the other 2 from 2020 or so
measured with DATS v2 & v3, free air

one 2216 in my diy M2

Attachments

• Dats 2216 3.jpg
    Dats 2216 3.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 878
  • impedance plot box diy M2.jpg
    impedance plot box diy M2.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 878
Reactions: MAB

Robh3606

Yeah, the resonance shows up on JBL's measurement of the raw driver too. But is dramatically elevated on their M2 speaker.
The second impedance plot is your woofer with the passive crossover, right? And it's a simulation or measurement? In any case, I think this is different than a measurement of the raw driver's impedance...

That's my speaker pairs actual measurements. I don't get the reason why it's more prominent in the M2 measurements compared to my own or the OP??

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
That's my speaker pairs actual measurements. I don't get the reason why it's more prominent in the M2 measurements compared to my own or the OP??

It's the passive crossover! Your measurements are different in many ways due to the crossover.
You can even see differences in Erin's and other's measurements with and without JBL's ported enclosure.
Bare driver (3 different ones from from beatelund):
index.php

Driver in cabinet with no crossover (with double peak in the impedance due to the additional port-resonance!!! also from beatelund):
index.php

You can see the double-peaks in the ported alignement, and the increase in the impedance blip.
Erin's comparison of the speaker in free-air and in JBL's ported enclosure with my measurement in a sealed cabinet:
index.php

Your measurement is of the sealed alignment, but with a passive crossover. The tiny resonance in the impedance measurements is obscured by network impedance of the driver plus passive crossover! In any case, this is not the most important thing about this speaker.

Robh3606

It's the passive crossover! Your measurements are different in many ways due to the crossover.
You can even see differences in Erin's and other's measurements with and without JBL's ported enclosure.
Bare driver (3 different ones from from beatelund):
index.php

Driver in cabinet with no crossover (with double peak in the impedance due to the additional port-resonance!!! also from beatelund):

You can see the double-peaks in the ported alignement, and the increase in the impedance blip.
Erin's comparison of the speaker in free-air and in JBL's ported enclosure with my measurement in a sealed cabinet:
index.php

Your measurement is of the sealed alignment, but with a passive crossover. The tiny resonance in the impedance measurements is obscured by network impedance of the driver plus passive crossover! In any case, this is not the most important thing about this speaker.

Hello MAB

Being dense why do the 3 driver free air look better than the ported M2 if it is indeed a driver issue. Is the enclosure making it worse?? I am in a ported not sealed enclosure. You can also see it with the curves overlaid. I agree we are picking nits as the drivers sound great! Just curious!

Could it be measurement resolution???

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Hello MAB

Being dense why do the 3 driver free air look better than the ported M2 if it is indeed a driver issue. Is the enclosure making it worse?? I am in a ported not sealed enclosure. You can also see it with the curves overlaid. I agree we are picking nits as the drivers sound great! Just curious!

Could it be measurement resolution???

Great question. I don't know.
Erin speculates it may be a resonance due to the height of the JBL's M2 enclosure. He points to the drastic reduction in the resonant-peak when measuring the bare woofer. But I am not convinced about the cabinet-height since I see the resonance (but reduced in magnitude) in a much smaller sealed enclosure.

My guess: It's a resonance in the driver (that can be seen if you look at my or beatlund's impedance traces) and that resonance is additive with the port resonance giving the peak in impedance you see on Erin's nearfield and impedance measurements.
1690235446852.png

But, it's really a guess. I would need an M2 Cabinet with ports and a 2216 driver to find out! And, like you say, is no big deal.:cool:

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Thanks Fredrik.
They do sound great, beyond my expectations.
No need to buy the crossovers, I built my own with an 8uF capacitor and a some non-inductive resistors
View attachment 299812
For instance:

The crossover document by @pos is incredibly valuable:

View attachment 299792
Note: JBL's own literature has the wrong cap value!
I use a MiniDSP flex balanced. I apply the crossovers with the FIR blocks, and the PEQ using MiniDSP's filter blocks. The Flex doesn't have enough FIR taps to do the entire crossover and PEQ exactly as spec'ed in the RePhase document.

The cabinet plans are my own and are just a sealed (instead of ported) cabinet with Q~0.75 and the same baffle width and lens-to-woofer spacing. Ported you need to source the special JBL ports (3D printed), or go with an off-the shelf port, and potentially listen to port noises. In any case I tend to prefer sealed with PEQ. I EQ the bass to reconstruct the ported response of the M2. As a result, I have less peak output... for me, I don't need more output! I will eventually integrate subs, which will make the loss of output with sealed alignment even less of an issue for me. They play loud, effortlessly, tirelessly, etc. as-is.

Many pages of instructions, discussions, and diversions are all here:
I'm a bit confused about these crossovers. They appear to be used to protect the compression driver when used with Crown power amps. I wonder if there are any passive crossovers so that the clone M2s could be used with a single amp.

Robh3606

I'm a bit confused about these crossovers. They appear to be used to protect the compression driver when used with Crown power amps. I wonder if there are any passive crossovers so that the clone M2s could be used with a single amp.

They are for CD protection and attenuation to reduce hiss. You can do a passive version if you have the know how and have the tools. I designed a passive M2 using the 2216nd in a cabinet of my own design and a different compression driver. It can certainly be done.

Attachments

• 20201114_124225.jpg
    20201114_124225.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 228
Top Bottom