• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 in the house

bryan0101

Been itching to setup the 4367 in the house, but with the delay in getting the cutting boards to setup the right size platform, I just couldn't wait and put it near field right in front of everything to try out.
Behind it are the sopra n2 and klipsch forte iv, both are unbelievable high achiever in its own right.
Imaging JBL is winner no contest due to the wide freq coverage of the horn.
But because it only has ~100hrs, the sound is abit shrill and "hard", comparing to the forte iv more mellow, approachable smooth sound.
All push by mono AHB2. but I have a feeling over time this would surely be a keeper.

speakers.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hmm I don’t expect the sound to change after a few minutes, let alone a hundred hours, perhaps you should measure with REW and see exactly what you are hearing.
Keith

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
... the sound is abit shrill and "hard"...

You might try listening from fairly far off-axis. The direct sound's very top end won't be as hot.

Perhaps toe-in the 4367's at about 45 degrees, such that the axes cross-cross somewhat in front of the center of the listening area. This may also give you a fairly wide listening area due to time/intensity trading.

I am not certain this will work well with the 4367's but you can try it for free.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Been itching to setup the 4367 in the house, but with the delay in getting the cutting boards to setup the right size platform, I just couldn't wait and put it near field right in front of everything to try out.
Behind it are the sopra n2 and klipsch forte iv, both are unbelievable high achiever in its own right.
Imaging JBL is winner no contest due to the wide freq coverage of the horn.
But because it only has ~100hrs, the sound is abit shrill and "hard", comparing to the forte iv more mellow, approachable smooth sound.
All push by mono AHB2. but I have a feeling over time this would surely be a keeper.

View attachment 292500
maybe if it sounds harsh/hard/etc, you got some cancelations in bass region

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

Well, this is just a temp spot. Once the cutting board is here, the platform for it to sit 6 inches up would be Bamboo->granite->Bamboo.
If any expert here have a better (AND more cost effective) suggestion for a solid platform to lift this fatboy up 6-8 inches, please let me know!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this is just a temp spot. Once the cutting board is here, the platform for it to sit 6 inches up would be Bamboo->granite->Bamboo.
If any expert here have a better (AND more cost effective) suggestion for a solid platform to lift this fatboy up 6-8 inches, please let me know!
I built some risers to height I wanted out of some leftover bb plywood I had on hand...filled with sand but don't think it made any difference except weight...

You should break-in to the speakers soon enough....

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Can’t you just tilt them back slightly, again I wouldn’t have thought 6” would make the slightest difference to the vertical dispersion.
Keith

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

Can’t you just tilt them back slightly, again I wouldn’t have thought 6” would make the slightest difference to the vertical dispersion.
Keith
I would also need to experiment crossing them at different angles and stuff. Having them right at ear levels, and with felt pads on the platform can give me alot of freedom to position them.
Also from using the forte iv, I did notice the tone was different between ear lvl and tilting upward (which was my initial setup), probably because my room is not big (~8ft spks to ears)

MAB

Major Contributor
I would also need to experiment crossing them at different angles and stuff. Having them right at ear levels, and with felt pads on the platform can give me alot of freedom to position them.
Also from using the forte iv, I did notice the tone was different between ear lvl and tilting upward (which was my initial setup), probably because my room is not big (~8ft spks to ears)
The speakers you have will all have significant tonality changes when you tilt them. It is a property.

Your speakers will not change sound with breakin. They will change with placement. Your perception of them may change though.

Congratulations, they are great speakers! You should go cheap on the stands until you know what room placement you like.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Nice! Are you using subs? Do you have EQ? If the answers are "no and yes," feel free to boost the piss out of the bass down to 35-40 Hz to follow your preferred in-room response/bass boost. That'll improve the sound substantially.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

Nice! Are you using subs? Do you have EQ? If the answers are "no and yes," feel free to boost the piss out of the bass down to 35-40 Hz to follow your preferred in-room response/bass boost. That'll improve the sound substantially.
I have dual rythmik F12G, cross at 40 for the forte, so we'll see how to get them play together. But initial impression JBL goes lower than forte for sure.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have dual rythmik F12G, cross at 40 for the forte, so we'll see how to get them play together. But initial impression JBL goes lower than forte for sure.
Actual cross or just lpf on sub? Seems pretty low xover in any case....

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

Actual cross or just lpf on sub? Seems pretty low xover in any case....
lpf on subs. forte is actually pretty sweet already around the bass region. I thought passive woofer could never be good, well this is actually quite decent alternative to ports.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just thought I would drop some additional information about these incredible speakers here for your perusing pleasure:

Type2-way Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Low-Frequency Transducer15” (380mm) 2216Nd-
1 Dual Differential Drive® wooferMid/High Frequency Transducer3” (75mm) D2430K dual compression
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power300 watts RMS
Frequency Response (-6DB)30 Hz – 40 kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V@1M)94dB
Nominal Impedance6 Ohm
Crossover Frequencies700 Hz
Enclosure TypeBass-reflex via Dual Front-firing Ports
Inputs Dual Gold-plated Five-way Binding Posts
Dimensions (H X W X D)37-1/16” x 22-1/16” x 16-3/4” (941mm x 560mm x 425mm)
Weight119 lb (54kg)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
lpf on subs. forte is actually pretty sweet already around the bass region. I thought passive woofer could never be good, well this is actually quite decent alternative to ports.
Depends on a few things, I just generally prefer better bass management. Not sure what you mean by alternative to ports, tho.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Congratulations. Those are excellent speakers that will bring you many hours of enjoyment.:)
It’s curious to me that the owners manual recommends placing the tweeters at ear height. I would have expected the acoustic axis to be near the bottom of the horn. They do provide some controls for the treble level, so you can use those to cut the treble some, if you find them too hot.
Interesting that the owner manual describes a several weeks break-in period for these speakers, during which time the balance between the drivers changes. That sounds more like something that came out of the marketing department, rather than the engineering department.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

You might try listening from fairly far off-axis. The direct sound's very top end won't be as hot.

Perhaps toe-in the 4367's at about 45 degrees, such that the axes cross-cross somewhat in front of the center of the listening area. This may also give you a fairly wide listening area due to time/intensity trading.

I am not certain this will work well with the 4367's but you can try it for free.
Just finished the platform setup, tried both side of off axis (before and after my listening position). In front with extreme angle works quite well. I tried that before with focal, didn't work, blurry imaging. With horn is fantastic.

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just finished the platform setup, tried both side of off axis (before and after my listening position). In front with extreme angle works quite well. I tried that before with focal, didn't work, blurry imaging. With horn is fantastic.

Glad to hear it!!

Credit to Earl Geddes for teaching me that technique. As you found out, it works and works well with some speakers - those with a certain type of radiation pattern - and not with others.

Don't be surprised if you have well-meaning audiophile buddies who take one look and offer to "fix" your speaker set-up for you.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
That looks great, I love those 4367. I really like your solution to make it easy to move. WAY better than mine, I'm using a combination of milk crates, step-stools, wood blocks, and extra speaker cabinets to get the height in the ballpark:
1686947944220.jpeg

I was so blown away the first time I heard the 4367, I got the itch to build the closest thing possible which is the M2 since the parts are available and the DSP crossover is easy...
I am trying to extend to an 'M3', which is the reason for the midrange cabinets. So far, the 2-way sounds great.:) 3-way not so much...:facepalm:

Top Bottom