• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those 4367's are literally making me drool... Excuse me while I whipe the slobber off my keyboard.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking good Michael.

Say, with more and more owners of the JBL 4376, how about we create a dedicated thread for it?

Or just a JBL thread. Then I can get in on the action as well, with my 4319's. :D

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

I will audition the 4367 .. if I like I may acquire get it or jettison all audiophiles tendencies and just get the M2 system with the Crown amps. :D. And to add to the madness use on top of that multi-subs! :p

Amir? Do you have the M2 system?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.png
image.png
28.57% better.
JL Audio subs?
Room looks like it was "treated" for speakers with a very different radiation pattern. Is there some method to the madness how what ended up where?
AJ,
I am a work-in-progress. I feel like I'm learning how to apply new acoustic concepts in a better way everyday.

A big step forward for me has been learning how to setup subs in a way to almost totally remove axial length modes. It was a real effort to learn how to do it. But I am proficient now. I plan to do a write up on this later using Acourate and REW. Since that time, I became curious about decay times. I've learned more about DIN 18041 decay time recommendations. Decay times should always be referenced to room volume.

So I started removing bass traps and measuring to see whether I could increase my decay to meet the DIN spec, since I was clearly below that for music listening. I ended up removed 4 MSR Spring traps (helmholtz resonators), 2 large GIK pressure traps and 2 large RPG arc panels. I remeasured and found that these traps had zero effect on room mode ringing with my sub setup. Since they clearly eat up decay times and offer no other acoustic benefit, I removed them.

My room decay times referenced to my room volume is now slightly more than DIN standard decay times for music listening. And there's no negative consequences to IACC values. Without any DSP, the total IACC is better than 80%, which is very good for any system.

The room is more lively. The soundstage is more spacious and everything is more articulate. :)

Michael.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
The large traps are RPG modex plates. They do not absorb mid or high frequency. They are pressure traps and have some diffusion (but no absorption) for frequencies above 100-200hz. They are only 4" thick.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Hey Michael who's buried under that rug?! I detect a suspicious 'bulge' :D

When are we all convening round yours for .... purely academic reasons of course;)
They are 100% felt carpet pads. They help mitigate the floor bounce.

I don't have an ETC to post now. But everything is -20db or lower from the initial pulse, other than the sidewalls, which are -12db. There's nothing more I can do to mitigate the sidewall reflection without huge negative consequences to decay time.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They are 100% felt carpet pads. They help mitigate the floor bounce.

I don't have an ETC to post now. But everything is -20db or lower from the initial pulse, other than the sidewalls, which are -12db.
Something a bit like this?
image.jpeg

But pre cut I guess?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I bought a roll :D look forward to blacker than black backgrounds :D

Floor bounce is never advantageous Imo, this looks like a nice ' discrete ' solution to help.
It is as long as you place a nice looking rug over it. :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We already know you are a cheap shag.
Keith

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I ended up removed 4 MSR Spring traps (helmholtz resonators), 2 large GIK pressure traps and 2 large RPG arc panels. I remeasured and found that these traps had zero effect on room mode ringing with my sub setup. Since they clearly eat up decay times and offer no other acoustic benefit, I removed them.

The room is more lively. The soundstage is more spacious and everything is more articulate. :)

627092b8a87a5a7643227e2fe83809f0.jpg

Top Bottom