• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Clone

tonycaoyi

The M2 is not in place, so we can only add a mezzo unit to him.

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Do you have building plans for the M2 ????
There is a build-thread:
Rather long, but it has good info on the crossover and filter settings, and the cabinet and port construction.

On the JBL M2 Page, there is a moderately detailed drawing of the cabinet in the brochure:
https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elements/m2-brochure

The parts are available here:

A construction video was made by someone (not me):
I do recommend earplugs.

I am planning on updating this thread with more detailed plans. I am doing sealed instead of ported, with PEQ to transform the bass response. I can afford the reduction in peak output, in fact I welcome it since these play dangerously loud. I do recommend DIY M2 if interested, they are fantastic sounding and actually quite easy to build.

Pulkass

The compression horn Is a two way driver? Shall l be using a two way x over or a three way? I use and electronic x over btw.

Pulkass

So l ll set my electronic x over 24 db slope, two way.. cut at (?)

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
So l ll set my electronic x over 24 db slope, two way.. cut at (?)
No, the tweeter crossover is hybrid passive/active.
The details for the exact filters and crossover components are here:
Here is a schematic of the passive part:
1699631727775.png

The 6dB / oct passive network above, plus the additional 6dB/octave active filter (in the rephase pdf above), plus the driver's rolloff all conspire to 24dB/octave at about 790 Hz.
I measure the tweeter and discuss filters here:

Top Bottom