• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there really any advantage to planar magnetics or electrostats?

nerdemoji

I have read up some things about them now and I am really wondering whether planar magnetics (or electrostats) are better than dynamic drivers. Due to their exotic nature, planars and stats are more FR varied between Left and Right Channels as well as having more variation between different headphones, which would make them harder to EQ correctly to any target curve. Wouldn't this mean that dynamic drivers are better with EQ than any other headphone driver types?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Perhaps lower distortion. But if you sort the ASR reviews by "recommended" no particular design seems to be automatically better than another... And there is also almost no correlation between sound quality and price.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's all in the implementation of the technology.
Not the technology itself.
Both planar and dynamic (or BA) can be excellent or crap and anything in between.
There are stronger and weaker points for all driver types.

So in general one cannot say one type of driver is 'better' than the other. Each type simply has different stronger and weaker points and its the actual implementation and build quality that makes the difference.

OP
nerdemoji

nerdemoji

It's all in the implementation of the technology.
Not the technology itself.
Both planar and dynamic (or BA) can be excellent or crap and anything in between.
There are stronger and weaker points for all driver types.

So in general one cannot say one type of driver is 'better' than the other. Each type simply has different stronger and weaker points and its the actual implementation and build quality that makes the difference.
Ok thanks. then what is the stronger point of stats and planars that is better the dynamics?

GaryH

Major Contributor
I have read up some things about them now and I am really wondering whether planar magnetics (or electrostats) are better than dynamic drivers. Due to their exotic nature, planars and stats are more FR varied between Left and Right Channels as well as having more variation between different headphones, which would make them harder to EQ correctly to any target curve. Wouldn't this mean that dynamic drivers are better with EQ than any other headphone driver types?
Don't know where you got that from.
graph-125.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
what is the stronger point of stats and planars that is better the dynamics?

For stats it is the membrane weight and drive across the entire membrane. The disadvantage is output level. The driver surface area is big which has advantages and disadvantages. On can play with shape to change modal behavior.
Difficult to drive in the sense that it requires a bias voltage (or electret charge) and high voltage on the plates. Requires mains voltage or converters.
Mechanical tension is a must and 'sticking' to one stator is a potential problem.

For planar magnetics (incl. ortho dynamics) it is the max. SPL and linearity and the driver size. The latter can be a blessing and downside (frequency dependent).
One can use less tuning methods and is difficult to get a bass boost in a passive way.
The magnets obstruct the sound waves more so than the stator of electrostatic planars which has an influence on mid to high frequencies.
Easier to drive than electrostatic but in general inefficient compared to dynamic drivers especially when high SPL is needed with good linearity.
Heavy in weight due to the magnets compared to other drivers.
Can handle a lot of power.
Needs closed front volume to work properly.

Dynamics can have a much higher efficiency but at the expense of max. undistorted SPL. Can be used directly from low power sources.
Much more ways to 'shape' the sound signature of the driver/headphone.
Cheaper to make. Lighter in weight. Membrane size and shape can be used to control modal issues.
Linearity (max SPL without distortion) can be much worse than planar. For lower to normal SPL this usually is not an issue.

BA drivers are smaller and can be easily used close to the ear canal. These drivers too have stronger and weaker points and quite different from dynamic drivers. Easier to make custom molds for due to size.

OP
nerdemoji

nerdemoji

For stats it is the membrane weight and drive across the entire membrane. The disadvantage is output level. The driver surface area is big which has advantages and disadvantages. On can play with shape to change modal behavior.
Difficult to drive in the sense that it requires a bias voltage (or electret charge) and high voltage on the plates. Requires mains voltage or converters.
Mechanical tension is a must and 'sticking' to one stator is a potential problem.

For planar magnetics (incl. ortho dynamics) it is the max. SPL and linearity and the driver size. The latter can be a blessing and downside (frequency dependent).
One can use less tuning methods and is difficult to get a bass boost in a passive way.
The magnets obstruct the sound waves more so than the stator of electrostatic planars which has an influence on mid to high frequencies.
Easier to drive than electrostatic but in general inefficient compared to dynamic drivers especially when high SPL is needed with good linearity.
Heavy in weight due to the magnets compared to other drivers.
Can handle a lot of power.
Needs closed front volume to work properly.

Dynamics can have a much higher efficiency but at the expense of max. undistorted SPL. Can be used directly from low power sources.
Much more ways to 'shape' the sound signature of the driver/headphone.
Cheaper to make. Lighter in weight. Membrane size and shape can be used to control modal issues.
Linearity (max SPL without distortion) can be much worse than planar. For lower to normal SPL this usually is not an issue.

BA drivers are smaller and can be easily used close to the ear canal. These drivers too have stronger and weaker points and quite different from dynamic drivers. Easier to make custom molds for due to size.
Thanks. Very informative

dfuller

Major Contributor
Planars are insanely low distortion (>80dB SID, even up to absolutely ear shattering SPLs) if built right (see: Audeze on a good day). Their big downsides are they're inefficient (these are headphones that will in general eat power like it's going out of style, part of why we're seeing 1.5-5w headphone amps now) and they can have really nasty upper presence to lower treble issues if they're not tensioned right.

Dynamics are way more efficient and way cheaper, but don't have the sheer SPL capabilities. Not exactly an issue in real life.

Reactions: GPJ

SSS

For headphones I choose STAX electrostats which of course need an own special amplifier. But the clearness of the audio reproduction is unbeatable compared to dynamic ones. Just test both systems and you will hear it. Audeze planar seem to be similar but I did not hear one yet.

isostasy

For headphones I choose STAX electrostats which of course need an own special amplifier. But the clearness of the audio reproduction is unbeatable compared to dynamic ones. Just test both systems and you will hear it. Audeze planar seem to be similar but I did not hear one yet.

There's no evidence that this is attributable to the driver technology itself though, which is what @nerdemoji asks.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a question of needs.
For outdoors I use Sennheiser HD 450 BT, a bit dull but sufficient for the purpose.
For relaxed listening prefer Hifiman HE400i, and for precise listening Ananda.
An for punchy Sessions the Ultrasone.
There is no 'best of' overall in my eyes, only a best of for what you need in a specific moment.

SSS

There's no evidence that this is attributable to the driver technology itself though, which is what @nerdemoji asks.
Of course it is. The moving mass of electrostats is so tiny that it can follow the high frequencies with precision. Moving coil can be good sounding either but of my experience not so detailed. I am talking about regualar earphones, not earbuds. This is a different story since to my knowledge there are no electrostats on the marketplace, but I may be not completely informed.

isostasy

Of course it is. The moving mass of electrostats is so tiny that it can follow the high frequencies with precision. Moving coil can be good sounding either but of my experience not so detailed. I am talking about regualar earphones, not earbuds. This is a different story since to my knowledge there are no electrostats on the marketplace, but I may be not completely informed.

What does 'follow the high frequencies with precision' mean?

If you simply mean ability to reproduce frequencies to the upper threshold of human hearing, then there are examples of all driver types which can do this. @solderdude has measured many of them.

What you've provided is a hypothesis, not evidence.

MrSoul4470

The STAX SR-003MK2 is an in-ear electrostat.

I agree with you, in my experience nothing can beat electrostats.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For electrostats the HE-1 and Sonoma Model 1 are hard to beat (IME).
These sound incredibly 'dynamic', effortless and 'real'... it comes at a price though, especially the crazy priced HE-1, and is limited in max. SPL.
There are quite a few planar magnetics too that are very good and some also have the 'delicate' sound electrostats have.
That said... there are also plenty of excellent sounding dynamic headphones and these are much more 'usable' for me.

The ones I was most impressed with are the mentioned electrostatics.
Unfortunately not all Stax versions are that great. The creaky and fragile feeling construction and comfort takes away too much from the quality feel (007 and 009 are better in this aspect) of such headphones. They are lightweight though.

SSS

What does 'follow the high frequencies with precision' mean?

If you simply mean ability to reproduce frequencies to the upper threshold of human hearing, then there are examples of all driver types which can do this. @solderdude has measured many of them.

What you've provided is a hypothesis, not evidence.
You are right since I have no measurement data so it is a hypothesis and my impression. But I am not alone, many listeneres say the same. What I mean is not only that the electrostat can reproduce frequencies up to and above human hearing capability. It is how it does with low distortion and good step response. It must be a reason why the opposite, microphones for measurement are electrostatic ones and not dynamic. Just the same reason applies to the headphone. Further, the best sounding recordings are made with electrostatic microphones. So, why not hear with the same transducer principle as at the beginning.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Force applied over the entire radiating area is big reason for the drivers' appeal. No equivalent of cone breakup or 'cone cry'.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The membrane, however, can still have various break-up modes and resonances. This can be altered a bit by shaping the membrane and damping.
Also there will be compression at higher excursions (lowest frequencies) due to the tension in the membrane and max. stretch with a certain force. The movement is not pistonic over the entire membrane. The middle part will move more than near the outer edge.
Dan (DCA) at least found a solution for that but cannot be used with electrostatic drivers, only with planar magnetic ones. I have no idea if he still uses this trick (kind of a spider like construction near the edge of the membrane)

egellings

Major Contributor
The membrane, however, can still have various break-up modes and resonances. This can be altered a bit by shaping the membrane and damping.
Also there will be compression at higher excursions (lowest frequencies) due to the tension in the membrane and max. stretch with a certain force. The movement is not pistonic over the entire membrane. The middle part will move more than near the outer edge.
Dan (DCA) at least found a solution for that but cannot be used with electrostatic drivers, only with planar magnetic ones. I have no idea if he still uses this trick (kind of a spider like construction near the edge of the membrane)
True, but with the larger radiating area that the whole membrane has, excursions can be lower for a given volume.

Top Bottom