• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nan-7 Planar Magnetic Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 69 44.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

derKoekje

I've tried nan7 with L30ii. L30ii certainly can drive nan7 to ear bleeding level, but the sound is very dry and sterile. Maybe try nan7 with something less "clinical".
I'm open to suggestions. Around this range I also found the xDuoo TA-22. It seems like it's a well regarded hybrid tube amp, that might inject a little 'spice'.

What did you end up using it with to make it less dry?

EDIT: I'm also seeing an open box EF400 for $300.

Last edited:

JeffJ

What did you end up using it with to make it less dry?
I tried a demo unit and mailed to the next guy in line afterwards.

EF400 (as well as the new EF500) definitely sounds more organic than L30ii, but the soundstage, placement of instrument and vocals are a bit strange to my ears.

Theoretically tube should pair well with nan7, adding a bit of "liveness" I guess. Haven't tried one with nan7 myself though.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

derKoekje

That's alright! You helped plenty and I didn't even know the EF500 and EF499.

Besides, I think I need to manage my expectations. After a night of noob research perusing the forum I now understand that since the BTR7 can run the Nan-7's at loud enough levels then buying a more powerful amp won't add anything (outside of a tube amp which would be a different flavor of good) and I would be better off EQ'ing.

But I'll still consider a desktop dac/amp for convenience reasons, controls and potential future headroom.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Those are the use cases which makes perfect sense to me. And I think those are also the used cases where you use headphones not by choice.

I was more referring to people who listens to their headphone systems as their primary/only system. They would have multiple sets of headphones and headphone amps. I guess it makes sense, if they are college students living in dorm rooms or living in an apartment with very thin walls.

But I have seen so many people living in a single family house and only listens to headphones. That is what I don't get.
Living in an apartment limits how much you can enjoy your 2 channel or 5.1 system.
I still have my floor speakers from my old two channel system, but I can barely move the volume knob. And this in a nice building with concrete floors and good sound insulation in the walls. I moved back into apartment living about ten years ago and a year or two later I realised that the floor models were definitely overkill.

2014/2015 I got into headphones and I just love them. And so much more exciting to have the variety. I have about ten headphones and five headphone amps and a few DAC's. I change to a "new" headphone every week.

I would never go back to a two channel system.

And my wife doesn't miss hearing all my music cranking all the time. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom