• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the amplifier of SVS subs unreliable?

80sGroove

I have two SVS SB-1000. Read a review which the buyer says the amplifier was good for 3.5 years, before the amplifier failed. He had it replaced, and it worked a few weeks before it failed again.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a question that has no real answer, because no one knows what people have subjected their subwoofers to and no one outside SVS has large scale data either. I have an SVS SB12 NSD from 2008 that still works about as well as it did 16 years ago.

I'm not aware of any evidence that would indicate they're significantly more or less reliable than any other comparably priced subs.

OP

80sGroove

This is a question that has no real answer, because no one knows what people have subjected their subwoofers to and no one outside SVS has large scale data either. I have an SVS SB12 NSD from 2008 that still works about as well as it did 16 years ago.

I'm not aware of any evidence that would indicate they're significantly more or less reliable than any other comparably priced subs.
Great to hear. Thanks for the help.

radix

Major Contributor
I have 4 SVS subs, two of them for maybe 5 years. No problems.

I had an issue with the SVS Tri-band link and one call got escalated immediately and they were ready to send me a replacement, when I realized it was my fault, not their gear.

D

Deleted member 48726

SVS is a great value brand with great reputation and quality. I'd take reviews with a grain of salt as people with no problems rarely report back.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My SB-1000 is 4-5 years old and shows no sign of anything but wanting more action.

MCH

Major Contributor
I have no complains about the reliability or failure rate of that specific sub amp. I own two and for the ca. 1-2 years I have used them, they never failed.
But I can complain about the quality of their DSP/amp section, and if you're going to buy one, I recommend you that you test it before in a quiet environment. For more information see here:

komhst

Maybe components quality today is not as high as it was 16 years ago... Unfortunately this is a common issue not only to electronics, but to all the household appliances today.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the number of subs from SVS out there, sure there's a failure story here and there but nothing particularly unusual.....not quite like the issues Epik or Elemental Designs (?) had at least. ;)

Rhodo

He had it replaced, and it worked a few weeks before it failed again.
My experience with computer tech makes me suspect that person has a power problem in their home or municipal line, surging or sagging or both. If you regularly have electronics break on you then you might look into if your municipal power is steady or not, otherwise I wouldn't stress too much about one person's trouble. Just too many possible causes including them doing something really dumb with it and blaming the amp.

I was about to make long post preaching about the benefits of sine wave replicating uninterruptible power supplies, but honestly who knows what went wrong with that situation. Here's the summary of my thoughts on power issues: If you worry about the longevity of your electronics and suspect home/municipal power problems, smooth/pure/"natural" sine wave type UPS's are worth getting. Might be expensive for high watt audio equipment though. However, if electronics in your home typically last a long time without issue I wouldn't worry about it.

Ghost2231

On my second svs in ten years. No problems. Like anything electronic there will be a failure here or there but I haven’t heard of more problems from one sub builder over another.

Top Bottom