• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Ultimax 18 with SVS 13 Ultra amplifier

Axelpowa

Hi,

I have currently 2 DIY Dayton Subs in sealed box.

One Ultimax 18" and one RSS390HE 15".
Both are driven by 2 Behringer NX3000, one for each bridged.

Was planning on updating the amplifiers with the SVS 13 Ultra amplifier kit for the sealed SB version.

They are rated as 1200w rms and lots of configuration options with dsp.

Is this a good idea?

Regards!

OP
A

Axelpowa

What is your goal here? Isn't the Behringer sufficiently powerful?
Improve amplifying quality and try to adjust them better before aplying Dirac BC.

I dont feel as missing power with Behringer, but havent tried different amplifiers for this duty.

Regards!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
FWIW, the Behringer Amps are known to not produce full rated power. They are great for a budget, but far from ideal. Bridging one of those per Sub, should still do the job as the UM18-22 is only rated for 1000wRMS.
More than anything, I think the biggest question would be in DSP processing capabilities and how you have your filters set up.

I don't know anything about the SVS Amp, but when you start looking at higher end amplification and DSP solutions, things like Mariani and QSC start coming up and you are looking at sample rates in the DSP that are much higher than lower end gear.

This isn't to say you need to look at that stuff, but is just one possibility of how some approach their DIY Subs. I've seen folk treat MiniDSP with abject derision saying that they sound like a buzzsaw. *shrugs Yet you can afford a Flex Balanced, where a QSC setup might set you back several thousand just for the DSP processor and you'll still need some quality amplification!

Regardless, I don't think changing Amps is necessarily going to solve anything unless you have some specific data point you are comparing, like sample rate (for example), or usable frequency range for placing a filter (some are limited to 20-20kHz, while others will allow a center frequency down to 10Hz or even lower).

Top Bottom