• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Soekris dac1321 worth buying?

Calexico

I agree/do :)

Why so focused on placebo though?

There's been all sorts of research over decades establishing the functioning and limits of human hearing. The placebo effect is just a side detail in the question of what electronic differences are likely to be audible and what aren't.
Because placebo is over used to argue in asr without giving links of proof. But i agree we shouldn't limit to this :)

Calexico

No, the reason people think more expensive Hi-Fi sounds better is because of the placebo effect. If it were not for the placebo effect everybody would indeed be content with less expensive good performing kit.
Not all cheap kit is good but some is excellent.
I have relatively expensive electronics but my amp was chosen partly because of facilities, partly styling, partly power output but also a home comparison with my existing old amp which sounded the same but was starting to have the odd reliability problem.
Me i listen to cheap hifi and i'm happy and can detect differences in opa :) i think changing with a10$ opa can be better than buying a 1000$ dac :)

Willem

Major Contributor
After all these posts from Calexico it may be worthwhile to come back to the original question. My issue is that the OP did not say what sources he would like to play through the DAC. If it is only the CD player, I doubt that any external DAC will be an audible improvement.

Tks

Major Contributor
Thanks but my question was proof of
Choosing opa that shouldn't sound different from specs but where people have preferences
And then find if it's placebo or a not yet measured parameter. I agee it has very small effect on measurements

Okay, see, this is what I don't understand now.. So if you can help me understand, I would appreciate it.

You made a claim, and then you put up a pre-condition, that no one should make a counter claim, or call your claim into question without providing some evidence against your contrarian claim.

It's like me saying: You should really think about praying to God more often, it will make you feel better.. Oh but please if you're going to start talking about God not existing, provide some evidence.

People aren't responsible for, nor can they prove a negative. You're not understanding the mode of thinking rational discourse follows. You have to understand the burden is on you to prove your claims, not the people that say they don't believe you.

I on the other hand provided some parallel experience into the similar realm of object of discussion (opamps in this instance) just as a gesture of goodwill. But then you say, to paraphrase: "Sorry but not good enough, I want proof that they don't sound different, and make sure you take care of placebo, because measurements aren't good enough". So you want us to play in the realm of subjectivity, but when we tell you blind tests confirm this in totality.. you just sail over that claim. This is even before the whole issue of preposterous apologist statements that concede grammatically, but not -actually- when you pay lip service to us by claiming "it has a very small effect on measurements". As if to say we're not totally dumb about the claims we're making.

You may not see it as such, but that last sentence or two in what I quote are actually an insult. Do you understand all forms of audio reproduction today that you enjoy was the total human effort of countless man hours of scientifically laying the basis and understanding for what we know today? You don't get things like opamps, or DACs or AMPs or any of this stuff from the side that are contrarian to our views. None of those people on that other side can de-laminate themselves from the achievements in the scientific field, and throw away the basics of electronics, and audio sciences - to then go on and make products that don't borrow INTENSELY from the achievements made by those in the scientific community.

So when you say the sorts of things you do, you really need to humble yourself and realize measurement instruments exist solely to supersede thresholds of discernability NO ONE has demonstrated that they can match equally as well as aforementioned measurement instruments. Especially at minute differences only afforded to us by those same instruments..

Until you concede this preposterous idea that we supersede these machines (like being able for instance to discern between 10th of a dB of difference, or things of that nature which is a piece of cake for a machine), your whole rationale cannot stand in the slightest, as you are literally creating an affront to basic tenants/tools of how we continue improvements in audio. You're simply never going to have improvments in audio in the present day if you use humans as your calibration tools for instance. Bring 50 golden ears, it's simply not going to happen period. If it was possible it would have occurred, and it would have been wide-spread. Again I repeat.. all this is before the perplexing machinations you have on who is due to do what in the realm of debate, and burden of proof.

Calexico

Okay, see, this is what I don't understand now.. So if you can help me understand, I would appreciate it.

You made a claim, and then you put up a pre-condition, that no one should make a counter claim, or call your claim into question without providing some evidence against your contrarian claim.

It's like me saying: You should really think about praying to God more often, it will make you feel better.. Oh but please if you're going to start talking about God not existing, provide some evidence.

People aren't responsible for, nor can they prove a negative. You're not understanding the mode of thinking rational discourse follows. You have to understand the burden is on you to prove your claims, not the people that say they don't believe you.

I on the other hand provided some parallel experience into the similar realm of object of discussion (opamps in this instance) just as a gesture of goodwill. But then you say, to paraphrase: "Sorry but not good enough, I want proof that they don't sound different, and make sure you take care of placebo, because measurements aren't good enough". So you want us to play in the realm of subjectivity, but when we tell you blind tests confirm this in totality.. you just sail over that claim. This is even before the whole issue of preposterous apologist statements that concede grammatically, but not -actually- when you pay lip service to us by claiming "it has a very small effect on measurements". As if to say we're not totally dumb about the claims we're making.

You may not see it as such, but that last sentence or two in what I quote are actually an insult. Do you understand all forms of audio reproduction today that you enjoy was the total human effort of countless man hours of scientifically laying the basis and understanding for what we know today? You don't get things like opamps, or DACs or AMPs or any of this stuff from the side that are contrarian to our views. None of those people on that other side can de-laminate themselves from the achievements in the scientific field, and throw away the basics of electronics, and audio sciences - to then go on and make products that don't borrow INTENSELY from the achievements made by those in the scientific community.

So when you say the sorts of things you do, you really need to humble yourself and realize measurement instruments exist solely to supersede thresholds of discernability NO ONE has demonstrated that they can match equally as well as aforementioned measurement instruments. Especially at minute differences only afforded to us by those same instruments..

Until you concede this preposterous idea that we supersede these machines (like being able for instance to discern between 10th of a dB of difference, or things of that nature which is a piece of cake for a machine), your whole rationale cannot stand in the slightest, as you are literally creating an affront to basic tenants/tools of how we continue improvements in audio. You're simply never going to have improvments in audio in the present day if you use humans as your calibration tools for instance. Bring 50 golden ears, it's simply not going to happen period. If it was possible it would have occurred, and it would have been wide-spread. Again I repeat.. all this is before the perplexing machinations you have on who is due to do what in the realm of debate, and burden of proof.
That's exactly what i think of people here that claims everything is placebo. Me i don't claim anything i make humble hypothesis and you cannot claim it's necessarily placebo.

Tks

Major Contributor
I mean aside from just giving me a one-liner that I fail to see which part it's supposed to address in my lengthy reply...

Why is it so tough to simply blind test, and not have to hear about anyone's claims of placebo? I literally am giving you a solution to silence all of us, just do the tests blind, and you will never have to worry about placebo...

Veri

Master Contributor
How about reading up on a classic blind test of amplifiers: https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/Valves versus Transistors DCD.pdf
Measured differences between DACs are far smaller than between these amplifiers.

“If an engineer finds that a couple of measurements appear to contradict Ohm’s Law he does not immediately rush into print with his findings, he looks again at the measuring technique employed.”
This comment should be taken to heart by all those reviewers who are so eager to print comments that flatly contradict all reason

Lovely quote :)!

Lmitchr

The Soekris 1321 powered with a LPS1.2 and dual LT3045 regulators is very musical and truly enjoyable. It creates a highly cohesive soundstage that is unique in how natural it sounds.

I've had the RME ADI-2, IFI microIDSD BL, Holo Spring, Okto Research demo, Chord Qutest and SMSL SU-8 here in the last few months. The Soekris 1321 DAC is staying.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
The Soekris 1321 powered with an LPS1.2 and dual LT3045 regulators is very musical and truly enjoyable. It creates a highly cohesive soundstage that is unique in how natural it sounds.

I've had the RME ADI-2, IFI microIDSD BL, Holo Spring, Okto Research demo, Chord Qutest and SMSL SU-8 here in the last few months. The Soekris 1321 DAC is staying.

First post,

Registration in 2016...

Okay, come clean, which one of you guys did this lol

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It was Lmitchr ..... he finally found something worth posting.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Soekris 1321 powered with an LPS1.2 and dual LT3045 regulators is very musical and truly enjoyable. It creates a highly cohesive soundstage that is unique in how natural it sounds.

Did you compare them unsighted?
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that the brain's audio memory only lastst a few seconds the lbservatkon is meaningless.

It lasts longer than a few seconds. Accuracy hence reliability diminishes after a few seconds.

I'll agree of course that the combination of sighted listening + reliance on long-term memory are a terminal flaw in this case however ;)

Lmitchr

I am not here to argue. Look for my next post in three to four years time, LOL!

Last edited:
Top Bottom