• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Soekris dac1321 worth buying?

Calexico

What do you do professionally if I may ask?
I m a French that made 5year engeenering school in electronics mechanics and informatics. I learned the theory of fft and shanon theorem and discret method of interpolation. We had to calculate the transfer function and we learned how to make filters of different orders and to calculate the cut off frequency etc. Also we learned the difference of technology beween transistor npn pnp polarized jfet mosfet bipolar etc. Also the differents circuits or regulations made with transistors. Also the different uses and shema of opa. How to calculate and design the gain or the filter etc. Now i m developper in assembler language and c. I made a stage at the end of my school where i designed power for led on a light for doctor in surgery blocks. I designed the interface to dim the light with a micro controller. I choose the ir captor and then wrote the agorithm so that the light remain constant wherever the surgery is under the light. (More light where he doesn't stand under). I could adjust 8 modules individually. Light was dimmed by adjusting the pwm ratio. The pwm signal from the micro controller was driving a i regulator i had to design and i made one with transistror technic. Because leds are driven with constant i the light was adjusted by dimming with the pwm on the microcontroller. Each module had a micro controller and where slaves of a master microcontroller. I made code for both and designed prototypes for all the board and alims etc.
No my work is far less interesting.

Last edited:

Calexico

This one impro i made is bad recorded but i like the sound a lot:
I think it has some magic.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Audio gd designs have discrete analogue output stages; DC coupled design (No capacitors in signal path then no chinese multicolor candy components. So they are less prone to candy color chinese components placebo.

This is completely wrong. Audio GD is the #1 maker of placebophile products selling to Westerners based in china.

Calexico

This is completely wrong. Audio GD is the #1 maker of placebophile products selling to Westerners based in china.
Maybe but i'm curious how it sounds and if i would enjoy. I think it's good to have some differences. If all companies just use standard design without any try of research it would be boring. They have the merit to'propose something different for people who find top notch dac (with perfect measures)sterile sounding.

Last edited:

Calexico

Stop trying to judge each other en be more respectful ok @SIY ? Can you answer with respect?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now i m developper in assembler language and c.
So let me tell you a story then. I used to be system admin for our college back in late 1970s to early 1980s. Students would come in and work on their homework in the lab that I ran. Some of the students would write their code and then try to compile it, only to be greeted with a lot of errors. To start over, they would simply turn off their monitor (terminal in those days), thinking that it would erase their computer program that way!

That is ridiculous, right? The monitor has no intelligence and turning that on and off wouldn't do any good. But the students didn't know enough about computers to know that. To them, turning the monitor on and off was akin to starting fresh. Perfectly logical, but perfectly wrong.

Such is the case about the stories you are telling us about op-amps. Perfectly logical that you think you are hearing real differences. Perfectly wrong because we know how your brain works and you don't.

What we are telling you is totally non-intuitive. Nothing in schooling you had would teach you this. Nor any of the experiences you mention. I learned it the hard way by managing the division that created audio technologies (among others). My ability to earn a living and advance my career depended on it. You have to keep your mind open enough to learn this important point about your perception. You allowed your professors to teach you a lot about technology. Don't stop now and put your fingers in your ears. Your journey in audio gets much better, not worse if you listen to us.

Calexico

So let me tell you a story then. I used to be system admin for our college back in late 1970s to early 1980s. Students would come in and work on their homework in the lab that I ran. Some of the students would write their code and then try to compile it, only to be greeted with a lot of errors. To start over, they would simply turn off their monitor (terminal in those days), thinking that it would erase their computer program that way!

That is ridiculous, right? The monitor has no intelligence and turning that on and off wouldn't do any good. But the students didn't know enough about computers to know that. To them, turning the monitor on and off was akin to starting fresh. Perfectly logical, but perfectly wrong.

Such is the case about the stories you are telling us about op-amps. Perfectly logical that you think you are hearing real differences. Perfectly wrong because we know how your brain works and you don't.

What we are telling you is totally non-intuitive. Nothing in schooling you had would teach you this. Nor any of the experiences you mention. I learned it the hard way by managing the division that created audio technologies (among others). My ability to earn a living and advance my career depended on it. You have to keep your mind open enough to learn this important point about your perception. You allowed your professors to teach you a lot about technology. Don't stop now and put your fingers in your ears. Your journey in audio gets much better, not worse if you listen to us.
I got a question that is interesting for you.
When you make the 1khz test for thd and we see 1.002 instead of 1 does this small difference in precision of frequency can be hearable? Should we test the precision of the frequency obtained for more frequencies? Does asynchronous oversampling can change the precision?

I have to add that Science is based on empirical observations to confirm or reject results. It's not the contrary. The theory shouldn't influenced us on results that hasn't been proved empirically yet. Because the theory may be partial. In time, perhaps the conclusions may change with further systematic testing and new empirical observations.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When you make the 1khz test for thd and we see 1.002 instead of 1 does this small difference in precision of frequency can be hearable?

Did you look at the literature?

Did you try this for yourself?

Calexico

Did you look at the literature?

Did you try this for yourself?
No i ask the technician from asr that has very good knowledge. If i give you a link you will say either it's audiophile bullshit or either it's been rejected since. I save time and having frustrating comments from guys like you.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Perhaps you can overcome your inertia and do a little work for yourself. Who knows, you might find it refreshing and perhaps learn something.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
When you make the 1khz test for thd and we see 1.002 instead of 1 does this small difference in precision of frequency can be hearable?

Create a tone with 1000Hz and another with 1002Hz and see.

Calexico

Perhaps you can overcome your inertia and do a little work for yourself. Who knows, you might find it refreshing and perhaps learn something.
Thanks i'm glad you trust me as much as @amirm for understanding science. I will share what I learn.

Calexico

Create a tone with 1000Hz and another with 1002Hz and see.
I mean if input wave file is 1khz and output of dac is 1.02 khz there is an arror. If both have -110db thd nobody care about this error. But is this imprecision of frequency hearable?
In music wich has lots of frequencies mixed do you think it can be good test to check if the differences are same at each frequency or differ. It could affect the sound particularly timbre.
I've got nothing to measure. I know i ask much i understand if nobody here can test this. Me i don't know how to test this :( i'll make research. But I agree i'm lazy for searching but i'm always there to make hypothesis :) i've curious nature.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom