• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it normal to have multiple amps in this hobby?

MAB

Major Contributor
I am new to this hobby. I find myself beginning to collect amps (2 channel music). I own the Yamaha r-n2000a, as-3200, and now I am thinking about buying a Luxman. Is it normal for someone in this hobby to have multiple amps? I guess I eventually will sell 1, but I feel like I need months to compare to come to my conclusions.
It's common to own multiple amps, especially if you have a need for amplifiers. I have multiple amps, many I use for a variety of active speaker applications etc.
It's also common to get caught in an upgrade loop. Like going from a great Yamaha integrated amp to a Yamaha flagship, then wondering if an even more expensive Luxman might be better. While common, it's shouldn't be normal and should be avoided. So if you are building multiple systems and need a new amp, it seems normal (albeit expensive!!!) If you are buying these as part of a single system, then this seems not normal and you are caught in the upgrade-loop.

In any case, I would avoid a Luxman. They are not the same company of decades ago.
You have very nice Yamaha amps. I have a CA-2010, the predecessor to your amps, it is still a fantastic unit. I have no interest in replacing or upgrading, since there is really no 'upgrade' available. Yamaha still makes great gear.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Amps are useful,I don't see any problem having multiple,even as a back-up (a house without music is a sad house) .
The weird thing is multiple DACs,a guy told me he has eleven!
I mean,OK to have two one of them as back up or something with flavor (distortion more than 50db) but 11,WTF????

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ampguy

If you're not getting a new amp every month from the reviews and threads on this site, something is wrong :)

Dave Bullet

I have a couple of vintage Pioneers, SX-1280 and SX-1050 as well as more modern separates. I have a speaker testing amp. Not all are in use at the time. I don't call it hoarding as much as "boarding". (i.e. taking care of them until I'm dead and they can pry them from my cold dead fingers).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Normal, but not necessarily useful.

Maginness

Covid was the trigger for me to get multiple amps. Working from home had me using my 2.1 system daily vs mostly never. Had a late 90's system with a Denon AVR. Four amps later, two pairs of speakers, two new subs, and two different miniDSP processors later, I have a 2.2 system that I'm very happy with. WiiM Pro to miniDSP Flex to Topping LA90 amp driving stand mount speakers plus a pair of powered subs.

My garage has a heck of a system (trickle down from the upgrade bug), and I have two amps I might sell, or keep, or who knows. So ya for me collecting amps is my normal.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a bunch of amplifiers: 6 Texas Instruments LM3886 chip amps built into my active speakers alone.

But if you're talking vintage audio components, I got one 1970s stereo receiver, and that's it. Pickings are slim in my area, and I seldom find the asking prices remotely tempting.

charlielaub

I build active loudspeakers. For every N-way speaker project I need N amplification channels and N DAC channels. So I have quite a few of both, in use and in storage. It depends exactly on what the project is and the needs for power, etc. I buy and sell gear as my needs change.

Maybe the OP was talking about having one 2-channel stereo system but owning more than one amplifier?

This sort of questions is just like "do I need more than one car?". Yes and no. Do you do off-roading, backcountry camping, drive to a snowy mountain cabin, or need to tow a boat but also want a small gas-sipping or hybrid/electric vehicle? Oh and what about that classic car you've always wanted. Etc. Go to the extreme and be like Jay Lenno or Jerry Seinfeld. Some people own a golf cart and use that on public roads.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether or not it should be, it is absolutely normal for someone in this hobby to have multiples of almost every component, yes.
I tend to have multiples of the same amps & preamps, that way I can Tri-amp One amp bridged mono for the L & R 4 ohm speakers, one amp running stereo into 2 OHM subwoofers, if one goes out (or just is pulled for a good look see), reroute the system to 1 amp in stereo for L & R 4 Ohm mains & leaving the subwoofer channels the same.
Typically I am running 2 APT/Holman Preamps (I have one running into the other (as I have 2 TT's, 2 cassette decks, 2 Reel to reels (one with a built in 8 track plyer/recorder [I do not know, never tried it]), an AM/FM tuner, an oPPo 205 UDP and whatever other stuff that shows up to run into them. I forgot to mention that I have 3 pairs of speakers, one pair of subwoofers and an individual subwoofer. (All subs are non-powered subs)
Their is always a way for me to have music whenever I pull some piece out for one reason or another.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I build active loudspeakers. For every N-way speaker project I need N amplification channels and N DAC channels. So I have quite a few of both, in use and in storage. It depends exactly on what the project is and the needs for power, etc. I buy and sell gear as my needs change.

Maybe the OP was talking about having one 2-channel stereo system but owning more than one amplifier?

This sort of questions is just like "do I need more than one car?". Yes and no. Do you do off-roading, backcountry camping, drive to a snowy mountain cabin, or need to tow a boat but also want a small gas-sipping or hybrid/electric vehicle? Oh and what about that classic car you've always wanted. Etc. Go to the extreme and be like Jay Lenno or Jerry Seinfeld. Some people own a golf cart and use that on public roads.
Don't forget multiple motorcycles, too. Your street glide Harley is not going off road very far. You will need a different tool (enduro, scrambler, motocross, adventure bike) for that.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's normal but not super useful. It's rare for there to be any audible difference between amps as long as they're not running out of power.

If you want to collect something that has real differences, speakers and headphones make the most sense. It's not hard to see why collecting IEMs is popular - they actually all sound different and they don't take up much space. :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Amps are useful,I don't see any problem having multiple,even as a back-up (a house without music is a sad house) .
I mean,OK to have two one of them as back up or something with flavor (distortion more than 50db) but 11,WTF????
Someone should intervene and save the guy.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

If you count how many devices you own that are capable of digital-analog conversion I am pretty sure you have more than 11 ;) Let me start: I have a DAC in my stereo system, measurement interface (I have two of them), BT earphones, DAP, TV, phone, laptop (also 2 laptops, one for me and one for my wife), PC (also two PC's at home), tablet, car, Google Home, Ring doorbell ... that's 15 DAC's scattered around the house already.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have all my amps stacked up in a 19" rack and i change inputs and outputs at will... its cool

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you count how many devices you own that are capable of digital-analog conversion I am pretty sure you have more than 11 ;) Let me start: I have a DAC in my stereo system, measurement interface (I have two of them), BT earphones, DAP, TV, phone, laptop (also 2 laptops, one for me and one for my wife), PC (also two PC's at home), tablet, car, Google Home, Ring doorbell ... that's 15 DAC's scattered around the house already.
I guess he has to add them up too to the DAC count :facepalm:

(It's not difficult to be affected by upgrade-titis with new DACs every month or so! )

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Common but counterproductive.

Far better to put that money to one side and get one much better amp them multiple poorer ones.

Valvetubehead

If you have a multitude of drivers or speakers combinations I think it’s inherent to the hobby. I have probably a dozen or more, some are dedicated for experimenting others just for listening. I’m not including guitar amps in this either…;) and it’s crowded in the lab.

Top Bottom