• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MartinLogan Motion® XT F100 vs Focal Aria 936

dman777

I have a Yamaha r-n2000a amp which is (8/6/4/2 ohms) 100 / 130 / 185 / 215 W. I am looking to get tower speakers. I narrowed down my choices to ether MartinLogan Motion® XT F100 or the Focal Aria 936. They will be used with a REL t7/x sub which I currently own. This will be for my living room which is 12'x26' (about 310 square feet).

The Martin Logans are 4 ohms while the Focal are 8 ohms. Should I care about that since my amp does both?

Any thoughts, between these 2 speakers?

Brian6751

that amp should power either of them, no problem. I would audition both in your room and keep the one you like best. Crutchfield makes that really simple to do

MarkS

Major Contributor

Brian6751

I have the F200's and am extremely happy with them. The F100's should sound similar. They measure pretty flat in room which people will say sounds bright. They can be EQed easily but your amp doesn't have EQ so you may or may not like that brightness. One benefit they have is they don't really suffer from floor bounce and have a bit of low end boost built in

The red sweep is the average response of one of my F200's in room. You can see how there is a rise in bass starting at 200Hz. It works well as a sort of built in room curve. The black/green sweep is how I currently have them EQed.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 11.07.27 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
D

dman777

I have the F200's and am extremely happy with them. The F100's should sound similar. They measure pretty flat in room which people will say sounds bright. They can be EQed easily but your amp doesn't have EQ so you may or may not like that brightness. One benefit they have is they don't really suffer from floor bounce and have a bit of low end boost built in

The red sweep is the average response of one of my F200's in room. You can see how there is a rise in bass starting at 200Hz. It works well as a sort of built in room curve. The black/green sweep is how I currently have them EQed.

View attachment 298219

Interesting.... I prefer the speakers to be on the bright side. I currently have the Sonus Faber Lumina IIs. The speakers can sometimes be to bright, depending on the source. But in contrast, I had the higher end Sonettos II and I thought the highs were to soft making the Lumina II more lively.

I am not a sound purist, I like the smiley face/v shaped curve in a EQ like sound. I prefer the speaker to be colored rather than neutral. I saw the review by Andrew Robinson that said that the F100 have a elevated bass and highs, making them sound like the live button on a amp (which I would like). But on the Kef R11 Meta review, he said that the Metas were more musical than the ML F100. I heard some Meta towers in a store and thought they were a little on the boring side.

Can you please tell me, is the sound stage and clarity good on F200s?

Brian6751

Sounds like you should really like the Martin Logan’s. I would say the soundstage and clarity are great. Imaging is excellent and they have very low distortion. I have them in an equilateral triangle aimed directly at me.

One word of caution; the F200’s are tall. If you are seated less than 11’ from them, you may want to consider the F100’s instead but YMMV

rynberg

Forum Donor
But on the Kef R11 Meta review, he said that the Metas were more musical than the ML F100. I heard some Meta towers in a store and thought they were a little on the boring side.
I'll never understand this reasoning...the content is what is supposed to be musical and exciting. The speakers are just supposed to play the content.

I would always pick the Kefs over ML because they are well engineered speakers and not a resonance fest -- you can easily EQ the Kefs if you want a colored sound.

OP
D

dman777

I'll never understand this reasoning...the content is what is supposed to be musical and exciting. The speakers are just supposed to play the content.

I would always pick the Kefs over ML because they are well engineered speakers and not a resonance fest -- you can easily EQ the Kefs if you want a colored sound.
This is interesting.... I looked on listenup and crutchfield and I could not find EQ's for home amps. Why is this? Also, would a EQ lessen the sound stage/separation/imaging in the speakers?

Brian6751

Your integrated amp doesn’t have a tape loop so you can’t really put a EQ in line with it unless you used the external EQs DAC and looped back into one of the analog inputs. Your amp does have tone controls though and that can act as an EQ to change the bass and/or treble response

Brian6751

That may actually work since it passive as in no AD/DA conversation needed.

rynberg

Forum Donor
This is interesting.... I looked on listenup and crutchfield and I could not find EQ's for home amps. Why is this? Also, would a EQ lessen the sound stage/separation/imaging in the speakers?
Are you using analog sources or something? Many ways to apply digital EQ.

Top Bottom