• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

gfx_1

I was just curious that no reviewer has mentioned the possibility of biamping and I thought there might be a technical reason for that.
Yes you can Bi-amp with the SA3 - PA3 combo in stereomode. Left and Right are send from the PRE-OUT to the PA3.
Can't try it myself because I omitted the bi-wiring option when building my bookshelfs but it will work.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Did you try to minimize the effect of confirmation bias in your listening comparisons by relying on careful level-matched double blind sessions? Unless they are designed with build-in distortions to give them a non-transparent sonic character or "house sound", amplifiers should not sound different if operated within their specified limits. Perhaps one was being driven into clipping or distortion? Or perhaps one of them is not linear and transparent or has an input or output impedance mismatch with your source and/or speakers.

Or perhaps your brain was fooling you - which happens to all humans.

I didn't do any double blind testing. But, my girlfriend at the time, also agreed that the sound of the McIntosh was a bit "thin" when compared to the Cambridge. It may have been the pre-amplifier section of the McIntosh that left me unimpressed. Then using the amplifier of the MA-5200 with the Cambridge acting as a preamplifier, the sound was quite enjoyable. Not that I'm ruling McIntosh out in any way. I'd gladly take one of the amplifiers, but spending $4K to $5K on one of their amps at this time is out of the question.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Hmm.... :cool::po_O

Johnny Carson.jpg

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Have you tried asking Amir for a date? You have been patient enough to ask.

Yes, true. I guess I have enough on my plate at the moment to keep me going.

HD Road Glide.jpg

Last edited:

Rifmon

Forum Donor
It appears to me that he finishes a review every 2 to 3 days. A headless Pink Panther appeared this morning.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
It appears to me that he finishes a review every 2 to 3 days. A headless Pink Panther appeared this morning.

True. But, maybe a bit more frequently - on some days, there's a review done each day. I've always been intrigued by the Arcam gear - but, given the recent reviews of two of their products? Not so much.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ian shipped my IOTAVX 7.1 AV Preamp today, and it is scheduled to arrive in Miami on Thursday. It might get to me here in Western Panama by the following Thursday, and I will be ready to set up my 3.0 channels. Took him just over a week to ship an in-stock product, but I'm o.k with that. I just wish had had included a ship date with his "Thank you for your order" email.

TXinD76121

Ian shipped my IOTAVX 7.1 AV Preamp today, and it is scheduled to arrive in Miami on Thursday. It might get to me here in Western Panama by the following Thursday, and I will be ready to set up my 3.0 channels. Took him just over a week to ship an in-stock product, but I'm o.k with that. I just wish had had included a ship date with his "Thank you for your order" email.
I talked to John Strohbeen at Ohm Acoustics in Brooklyn the other day. During the lockdown he is walking from his home to an empty factory every day and doing everything himself. And apparently that means everything...once during the call he had to go answer the door as there was a delivery, and twice he put the phone down to answer other calls. He's actually building speakers but production has slowed to a crawl. I asked him what the wait was for speakers and he said words to the effect of, "seven weeks from whenever they allow the workforce to come back."

So maybe Ian is in a similar predicament in Britain--just speculating.

Some of John's office staff are working, but working from home. He's smack dab in the middle of one of the top hotspots for COVID-19 in the entire U.S. He's in the at-risk group, but he says when he walks to and from work he sees almost no one on the streets, and that the only exceptions are people walking their dogs.

I used to work for a small company that shipped products, and we had a shipping department with three people and an entire boxing room, with large worktables and everything conveniently to hand, complete with a cool flex-tube hose that funneled styrofoam peanuts from a giant vat of them overhead. Even with that it took a while to ready a shipment and do the paperwork. (I know because I used to sneak in there and package stuff that I had sold on eBay.)

Mike

TXinD76121

As a complete wet-behind-the-ears newbie here, I just figured out who Amir is and discovered his catalog of existing reviews! Wow! And, cool! Fascinating to have input on things from someone with his background and abilities. Love that he is willing to give thumbs up or thumbs down, regardless of price or reputation (a big flaw with many audiophile and "listener" reviews—they can't seem to overcome our learned bias in favor of high prices and established names).

I don't understand a lot of his measurements (I don't even rise to the level of an audiophile, just a musicphile you might say, trying at the moment to put together a new system) but I can understand what he says about them in plain English. What a treasure trove.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I don't understand a lot of his measurements (I don't even rise to the level of an audiophile, just a musicphile you might say, trying at the moment to put together a new system) but I can understand what he says about them in plain English. What a treasure trove.

Mike

Amir's measurements are what separates the men from the boys.

D

Deleted member 15871

Nice feature that you can bridge the amp section of the integrated for100w @ 8Ω, and then add their matching power amp, also bridged for 100w mono to get 100wpc @ 8Ω. Nice upgrade path - I don't think I've seen that before.

View attachment 53093
Thank you. I wasn't aware that bridged configuration was possible. Now it makes sense. I mean why would someone but an integrated and the power amp. I just lost out on the interested amp on eBay for $399.

D

Deleted member 15871

It appears to a quite a solidly-built piece. It's a shame that I'll just be using it as a pre-amplifier. Though, when buying the separate power amplifier, you can then run the amp in the integrated amp in bridged mode for one of your channels, then the separate power amp in bridge mode, for equal power - around 100 WPC @ 8 Ohms, or 180 WPC @ 4 Ohms. My only concern in doing that would be extra connections involved with running one channel of the separate amplifier. The extra cables, and connections involved seems like it might create a small sound issue for one of the channels.

Also, a separate Bluetooth adapter can be purchased for $35 (US $$) that installs on the back of the integrated amplifier. It's supposed to support 24 bit Apt HD protocol. Not sure if I'll opt for that because my Bluesound Node 2i already has that capability. The IOTAVX integrated amplifier has a DAC built around the infamous Burr-Brown/TI chips. I'll have to see how the impressions of it are from those who have reviewed it. I may just it to receive the signal from my TV or DVD player when using my sound system for TV programs or movies, but not music - because the Khadas Tone Board is now my preferred DAC as of 30 minutes ago.

The IOTAXV is apparently a spin-off or some sort of connection to Nakamichi, or of employees that used to work for Nakamichi. I need to re-read a bit on some of the articles that referred to the details on how it came into fruition.

Didn't I read that Nakamichi wanted to Jack up the price of this gear so they split?

D

Deleted member 15871

Yes, that can be the case with other separates. But, my point with the SA3 is that one of your channels (either left or right) is powered by the internal amplifier in "bridged" mode, while the 2nd channel (either left or right) is powered by the separate amplifier. In that case, it's one channel that has the interconnects involved, and potentially, some change or loss, distortion, etc. of sound could be possible - just a theory. In the other situation where you have a preamplifier and a separate power amplifier, both channels are connected with a separate set of interconnects. Hopefully, this made what I was trying to explain when using the IOTAVX SA3 with a separate IOTAVX power amplifier a little clearer.

I'd love to see a photo of this configuration.

Reactions: wje
D

Deleted member 15871

Happy owner of the combo! Unfortunately in Europe so I could not send PA3 to Amir! Waiting also for the review! So far the combo is very satisfying to my ears and the pairing with my wharfedales is really good! PA3 tightened the bass a bit and made the music a bit more strict and punctual! Overall really nice with my speakers and room of course...

NICE! You don't have two wild young boys running around, do you?

View attachment 59073

D

Deleted member 15871

Good for you Xulonn. I feel that I am in the same situation you were in but you took action! I hope Iota gets good scientific objective review results. I am not as bold as you are. I do not have the money to buy and then not like it, decide to sell and then buy again so I am trying to move very cautiously.

My search for a decent amp pre amp is due to the speakers I own. I invested in my "bucket List" speakers - Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 EX. After I bought them, it dawned on me that I am running $1750.00 speakers on a $300.00 HK 3490 receiver! Not a bad amp but I should have better electronics to drive these speakers. PLus the HK is over 10 years old. I've had it for 8 years.

Your post reflects my inner turmoil regarding class A/B vs Class D. The problem I've had with Class D is that, across the board, subjective reviews always state that there is a thin sound in the upper mid range. Since I am buying for music primarily and then TV movies secondarily, I am put off by that report. Then I saw Amir's review of the Purifi 1ET400A and I thought I would be willing to get that but then there are so many confusing offerings surrounding these type of amps, I became frustrated. For some one like me who does not have the knowledge, I would not know if a particular offering contains an "Amp Connector board and optional gain stage of 13 dB"..... hugh? I am not a DIY person when it comes to this. So this is a put off for Class D. There is a similar put-together stereo amp on Ebay using the same modules and so I asked the seller if his version is similar or the same as what was reviewed here on ASF and three weeks later....no reply. WHAT!?! he doesn't want to sell what he listed??? whatever, move on to familiar class A/B. For me it's less risky.

Now it comes down to an offering that has enough power and neutrality of frequency to do justice for my speakers. So Iota seems like a good possibility. I looked into vintage but then there's that old capacitor issue. Most current ( puns not intended) SS offerings that have the pecs I want are going to run into the thousands. So Iota being the exception, Class D or Vintage became my best options.

I came very close to buying a vintage duel mono amp pre amp combo yesterday. These particular units have been completely upgraded re capped etc, with detailed documentation from the seller. I was on the phone with the seller yesterday about to buy it but put it off. While it seems to be a good option, I would need to improvise with a volume control remote- one on Amazon that rates well.

I like Vintage. I like new technology too with all its conveniences. I'm at a Y in the road. You know the saying...."When you come to the Y in the road, Take it!"

So at this point, I narrowed my choice to this Iota vs a restored vintage unit. If this unit was built today, I suppose it would run into the thousands.

Boy do I understand. I'm at the same intersection.. do I get a modified Classé Audio power amp with warranty or try the Class D Audio SDS250? I'm oversees. There's no market for great gear here. The locals still listen to David Gates and Bread every other day (not that there's anything wrong with that) or boom boom distorted crap. When they see my Maggie's they have no idea what they are.
Tom from Class D Audio says I'll love the sound with his D class amp and my Maggie's SMGa's. On the other hand the man who updated and modified the Classé Audio amp believes the D class amps can't compare to AB amps.
Once I get equipment I'm stuck with it. Impossible to resell or swap with others. That's why I have to be absolutely sure which to get.
Thanks for reading if you have.
VT

tntafoulis

Good point! My daughter becomes 6 months old. So I have couple of backup plans depending on how it goes... Ultimately I may pack the most sensitive parts and buy some barriers...

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Boy do I understand. I'm at the same intersection.. do I get a modified Classé Audio power amp with warranty or try the Class D Audio SDS250? I'm oversees. There's no market for great gear here. The locals still listen to David Gates and Bread every other day (not that there's anything wrong with that) or boom boom distorted crap. When they see my Maggie's they have no idea what they are.
Tom from Class D Audio says I'll love the sound with his D class amp and my Maggie's SMGa's. On the other hand the man who updated and modified the Classé Audio amp believes the D class amps can't compare to AB amps.
Once I get equipment I'm stuck with it. Impossible to resell or swap with others. That's why I have to be absolutely sure which to get.
Thanks for reading if you have.
VT
I read it. Yup. Not everyone has the money or opportunity to buy a few types of amps for in-home auditions. So unfortunately we heavily rely on user reviews, professional reviews and technical reviews, the last being the rarest. Therefore people like yourself and myself need to do our best to be absolutely sure which actually is not possible. But we need to get as close as possible.
Older people like myself, long for the days when we could walk into an audio shop to audition gear. But when I think about it, that was wholly subjective and unscientific with few real bench tests. So in a way, aren’t we better off today with plurality of subjective reviews and an occasional objective tests?

Top Bottom