• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

gfx_1

I bet you're right. All reviewers commented that when adding the PA3 to the SA3, the sound changes.....for the better.

If someone has the PA3 to donate to the cause, good! But I would't want the review delayed for it. If the SA3 passes I'll assume the PA3 would be better. (right or wrong)
Amir maybe can test the SA3 in bridge mode, it should be the same as a PA3. Connected mine with a short pair of cable.
It's a bit noisier bridged noticeable with the inbuild DAC. But only when turning the volume way up.

lotoboy

Amir maybe can test the SA3 in bridge mode, it should be the same as a PA3. Connected mine with a short pair of cable.
It's a bit noisier bridged noticeable with the inbuild DAC. But only when turning the volume way up.

The SA3 has a pre-out but no pre-in, so it is not the same as the PA3 (for testing purpose) unless you find some way to bypass the pre-amp stage of the SA3.

Edit: my post is based on Rifmon's comment "If the SA3 passes I'll assume the PA3 would be better. (right or wrong)"

Last edited:

gfx_1

The SA3 has a pre-out but no pre-in, so it is not the same as the PA3 (for testing purpose) unless you find some way to bypass the pre-amp stage of the SA3.
Yes you are right, the line inputs 1 - 5 are pretty good though. Only hear a bit of noise when the volume is near the max and that's bridged normal stereo mode is quieter.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember in the past, with older audio gear, manufacturers would indicate a value or measurement for stereo separation. Granted, with much of our newer music, songs are not mixed like the old music once was. The stereo effects in newer music are not nearly as noticeable as older music was. However, I've been switching around gear for the past several months, and originally had the Emotiva PT-100 about 3 years back, but sold it, due to a desire to have some different gear in my setup. I came across a used PT-100 preamplifer from Emotiva and put it into service last week. Wow. I mean this is all subjective, but the little beast only cost me about $259 (shipped) to get it used. To my ears, it's quite an impressive preamplifier when paired up with my Crown XLS1502 amplifier (or even the Behringer A500 amplifier, for that matter). I could hear better stereo separation in the music - opposed to using the Pioneer Elite SC.81 or even the B&K Reference 30 preamplifier. All were paired with the Khardas Tone Board DAC. The built in AD 1955 DAC in the PT-100 didn't impress me as much - then again, it's now 3+ year old technology. After hearing the PT-100, the desire for the IOTAVX SA3 diminished a bit for me. I'm also in the process of purchasing the Emotiva XPS-1, Generation 2 preamplifier, based on my experience with the PT-100. Ah... this disease is getting the best of me. Fortunately, I'm not rich enough to get a SimAudio preamplifier, so playing around with less-costly preamplifiers/amplifiers for gear keeps it easy on my wallet.
A friend and I did some tests to see why record players didn't sound as bad as their technical specs would lead one to expect.
There were a couple of surprising results. One was a bit more noise gave a bigger impression to the stereo image. The second was that increasing crosstalk over the LP level of 30dB made no difference whatsoever. There was zero difference between 30dB of separation and 75dB.
I have read elsewhere that even 30dB is more than is needed but that was the lowest we tried.

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
It's been about a month now, since the SA3 arrived at @amirm. What a backlog....I hope, the Iotavx will make it on the operating table soon...:p

Rifmon

Forum Donor
It’s been 5 weeks yesterday since it landed. But who’s counting? :)

yeah I’m watching closely, ....obviously. I guess my curiosity is high simply because there’s not been a single subjective negative review out there. It’s rare to get real test measurements to agree with opinion reviews.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I read that review. I have hopes that the Iota will be better than the Music Fidelity M2si for me to bite

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was hoping to wait for the IOTAXV amp to be tested by Amir to get his impression of the engineering quality and quality, but got tired of waiting, so I took a chance and ordered the $875 IOTAXV 7.1 4K HDR AV preamp yesterday. The past association with Nakamichi gives me a bit of confidence plus the good experiences noted in this thread are a plus for this small company. Ian offers free 4-5 day shipping, from the UK to Miami in my case, and from there it will take about a week and cost about $45 to get it to me in Panama.

The IOTAXV AVP has all the features I want including some DSP capability, and not a lot of extra crap I will never use. And I like the industrial classic black style - it looks like a good quality component. And quite frankly, after weeks of searching and reading in the internet, I could not find another AVP like it, especially for such a reasonable price. I will sell my Topping DX7s, another excellent component that I got for a good price via MassDrop. I don't listen to headphones, and I assume that the IOTAXV AVP will do just fine for my two-channel music listening pleasure.

For video, I will initially use only three channels of IOTAXV AVP with a pair of the new Wharefedale D320 bookshelves and a D300C center (pictured below), and perhaps add a sub or two and surround speakers later. The Wharfedales are getting good reviews, and they use bottom ports which should work better than rear-ported speakers in my very small room. I will eventually sell my excellent 8-y/o rear-ported Paradigm Atom v.6 bookshelf speakers - which now have rolled up socks in the ports because the room is small and they are very close to the wall.

Initially, I will use my vintage class AB amplifier - a Classé Model Seventy (70wpc) for L/R, and a Fosi TPA3116 monaural ChiFi amp for the center channel. Within a couple of months, I hope to order a pair of VTV Hypex amps with balanced XLR input - an NC252MP two-channel amp plus their matching NC250MP mono amp.

I like the Audiophonics amps with the same modules, but I prefer the 11" front-to-back size of the VTV amps vs. 14" for the Audiophonics units. The VTV Hypex amps are a bit more expensive than the Audiophonics equivalents, but VTV is an established U.S. company with free shipping. VTV stands for "Vacuum Tube Values" and they are primarily a vacuum tube retailer with a good reputation. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to stick a Hypex module in a high-quality case and make it work, so electronics quality is not an issue for me. VTV also offers custom Hypex builds, which might interest some ASR members. (I thought about buying a Ghent case and assembling my own amplifier, but the NC252MP modules are not sold to the DIY market and are difficult for DIY'ers to source.)

The IOTAXV amps look like good products (we will know for sure after Amir puts one to the test), but they are heavier - and I would need to get three to run in bridged mode (which I prefer not to do) to get power output similar to the Hypex amps. My time spent participating at ASR has increased my admiration of Hypex amps, and I am now more attracted to them rather than the heavier and less efficient traditional Class AB designs. And that is why I will eventually sell my big, heavy vintage Classé AB amplifier, an excellent component that I bought based on a nostalgia-based impulse last year. As I have done with a lot of audio gear over the years, I bought it used for a reasonable price, and can sell it for not much of a loss

I will write all of this up in a dedicated AVP-based thread when I get the gear and set it up, but I wanted to share my project's beginnings with the new group of IOTAXV owners here at ASR.

IOTAVX + D300.jpg

lotoboy

I went through ASR's spreadsheet and looked at sub-$1000 integrated amps. Only one, Yamaha WXA50, landed on Amir's recommended list. Amir has high standard, so I think the best the IOTAVX could do is getting the "you have the data to decide it for yourself."
Remember, the IOTAVX is a budget class A/B integrated amp ($500), and the measurement numbers will reflect as such. I think the measurements will be comparable with other integrated amps within its price range, but nothing standouts. So adjust your expectation.

Personally, I think it's a great value, good sounding amp with many features.

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Funny. I actually switched from the WXA-50 to Topping D50s + Iotavx SA3 and I‘m totally satisfied having experienced clear audible inprovement. Maybe, of course, due to the better performing DAC mainly.

At least, I couldn‘t find any noticeable limitations of the Iota poweramp vs. the Yamaha. Don‘t want to go into subjective readings too much, though, for obvious reasons.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Good for you Xulonn. I feel that I am in the same situation you were in but you took action! I hope Iota gets good scientific objective review results. I am not as bold as you are. I do not have the money to buy and then not like it, decide to sell and then buy again so I am trying to move very cautiously.

My search for a decent amp pre amp is due to the speakers I own. I invested in my "bucket List" speakers - Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 EX. After I bought them, it dawned on me that I am running $1750.00 speakers on a $300.00 HK 3490 receiver! Not a bad amp but I should have better electronics to drive these speakers. PLus the HK is over 10 years old. I've had it for 8 years.

Your post reflects my inner turmoil regarding class A/B vs Class D. The problem I've had with Class D is that, across the board, subjective reviews always state that there is a thin sound in the upper mid range. Since I am buying for music primarily and then TV movies secondarily, I am put off by that report. Then I saw Amir's review of the Purifi 1ET400A and I thought I would be willing to get that but then there are so many confusing offerings surrounding these type of amps, I became frustrated. For some one like me who does not have the knowledge, I would not know if a particular offering contains an "Amp Connector board and optional gain stage of 13 dB"..... hugh? I am not a DIY person when it comes to this. So this is a put off for Class D. There is a similar put-together stereo amp on Ebay using the same modules and so I asked the seller if his version is similar or the same as what was reviewed here on ASF and three weeks later....no reply. WHAT!?! he doesn't want to sell what he listed??? whatever, move on to familiar class A/B. For me it's less risky.

Now it comes down to an offering that has enough power and neutrality of frequency to do justice for my speakers. So Iota seems like a good possibility. I looked into vintage but then there's that old capacitor issue. Most current ( puns not intended) SS offerings that have the pecs I want are going to run into the thousands. So Iota being the exception, Class D or Vintage became my best options.

I came very close to buying a vintage duel mono amp pre amp combo yesterday. These particular units have been completely upgraded re capped etc, with detailed documentation from the seller. I was on the phone with the seller yesterday about to buy it but put it off. While it seems to be a good option, I would need to improvise with a volume control remote- one on Amazon that rates well.

I like Vintage. I like new technology too with all its conveniences. I'm at a Y in the road. You know the saying...."When you come to the Y in the road, Take it!"

So at this point, I narrowed my choice to this Iota vs a restored vintage unit. If this unit was built today, I suppose it would run into the thousands.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
It’s been 5 weeks yesterday since it landed. But who’s counting? :)

yeah I’m watching closely, ....obviously. I guess my curiosity is high simply because there’s not been a single subjective negative review out there. It’s rare to get real test measurements to agree with opinion reviews.

Yes, you are correct. I don't have any idea where the unit is in the queue to get tested - but, normally it's about 4 weeks.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Well YOU must be in anticipation the MOST! Hope you get it back soon!

Reactions: wje
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Well YOU must be in anticipation the MOST! Hope you get it back soon!

Actually, after I ordered the IOTAVX SA3, I came across an Emotiva XSP-1. I was just going to use the IOTAVX as a pre-amplifier. It will be good to see the results of the review. It may, or may not be used in my main system. I'm not 100% sure yet.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva probably makes the ugliest gear in the world. All their stuff looks like something a three year old designed.

What is your favorite audio gear design style, @Koeitje?

Accuphase? McIntosh? Devialet? Luxman? Burmester? Schiit? Silver? Black?

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Emotiva probably makes the ugliest gear in the world. All their stuff looks like something a three year old designed.
Really? I thought that was a pretty attractive unit. Now ugly for me is the Outlaw receiver. Uuuuuugly! What the heck were they going for. Art Deco yuck.
Funny how everyone has a different idea of what’s ugly. But that Outlaw? That’s objectively ugly. Haha. No kidding it’s not that bad ( in case someone here owns one :) ). and it gets decent reviews.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What is your favorite audio gear design style, @Koeitje?

Accuphase? McIntosh? Devialet? Luxman? Burmester? Schiit? Silver? Black?
Modern and clean (preferably black), or classic such as Accuphase and Luxman.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor

That's an old picture - I have the new, version 2 model. It doesn't have the silver trim. All black. It looks good to me - and does what it needs to do for my music experience.

XPS 1.JPG

Top Bottom